RCCL won't honor price reductions!!!

Jeez, people, how bout a little sympathy?

I'd be annoyed too if I booked 72 hours ago and the price dropped to less than half. That stinks, no matter WHAT the rules are.

OP, hope you have a good time and can at least get an upgrade!

Sure in this situation ANYONE would be annoyed...yet, policies are policies. We book the cabin and dates we want when we see a cruise we want, through our TA. She keeps up on price drops, and we wait until the last possible day to make our final payment. She has found us deals, that we did not see....and sometimes gives us incentives to book through her. If it is coming out of her commission, so be it.

In the end, I always feel good about what I have paid. Never ask the person in the next cabin what they paid, you may be disappointed if they paid less than you did.

I have had that happen too. Not going to flame you for just figuring out the rules. I book when I have too. Sometimes they go down and sometimes they go up. I use a price monitoring website. If it is more than 2 of us in a room, the prices rarely drop close to sailing. I have been able to get last minute deals for 2. I one time bought and the price dropped 49 hours later! Do you think RCI tracks the last paid customer at full price and drops after no reduction can be taken. Go for the upgrade! See if you can move up for cheap or free. When are you sailing. Enchantment is okay in my book. I preferred Freedom, Oasis, Allure, Navigator, Liberty. Going to check out Grandeur next then Independence. I will prob cruise enchantment if I can get a last minute deal again. Close to home and convenient for a weekend get away.

Try to have a great cruise anyway and ignore the harsh posts. We are all here to learn.

Kelly

Thank you for posting a friendly.. nice post. I am really getting tired of reading nasty posts:-)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

OP - if it was 72 hours later I would call RCI and see if you can get something done. Go up the ladder. It sure can't hurt and sometimes you get a CSR that will empathize and help to resolve your situation.

The nasty comments are from people trying to be important - you know the types.

It seems like there is a post a week about this....for a policy that has been in effect for 3.5 years. With the exception of Southwest (and hotels/car rentals, which don't require payment up front) there is no one in the travel industry that honors price drops more than 24-48 hours after booking. I don't understand why people continue to look at the prices after final payment. Ignorance is bliss in this case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

RCCL won't honor the reduction after final payment is made!!

Does any cruise line?

Yes! They all do, but not after final payment-sounds like an airline!

So, your actual answer to the question posed is.... no.

Edited by Ocean Boy

RCCL has always applied price drop in on board credit after final payment for us...did you ask?

No in the last 3 1/2 years they haven't. If it is after "true final payment" they don't give refunds or offer OBC.

We are veteran Celebrity cruisers and have always had no problem in upgrading after final payment. However, today, our traveling companions with whom our reservation is linked and are cabins are adjoining, upgraded to a family balcony. Our cabin for 2 was booked in d4 at $999. Today there is a sale and both categories 3 and 4 are $949. I found a balcony cabin very close to our companions which is a D3. When the RCI agent called the resolution desk to request a cabin location change, she was told that the price of $949 only applies to new bookings. I have cruised enough to not expect any money back but really thought since the sale price was close to what I paid that they would allow me to change cabin locations. Very disappointing for my 1st cruise on RCI.

For the last 3 1/2 years Royal (and Celebrity) has had a policy that there are no price reductions after final payment. In both cases, they will allow you to upgrade after final if price reductions have made a higher category the same (or lower) price. Of course you still get no refund or obc. However, that price must be eligible to existing bookings. If it is one of their weekly "Tuesday" sales the price must be more than your current price in order to upgrade.

I know you are frustrated but you would have found this same situation on Celebrity as you did on Royal. These sales are meant to fill a ship, not have existing customers move around.

We booked 7 Day Jewel Cruise for 7th Feb. 6 months ago and the Price ist 200 $ higher now for balcony. It is like Price Managment for flights... In Germany you can fly from frankfurt to Berlin for 50 bucks. A week later 300 ;-)

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

This is why if you track prices after final payment, it should be for potential upgrades only.

I've been monitoring the price of my (2 day away) Indy cruise and the insides dropped like a rock starting 2 weeks ago, to the point where their current price is >30% lower than it has been for at least 6 months. Even my outside cabin dropped 20% in the last month. Balconies and suites never dropped enough to justify the price of the upgrade, so I stuck with my outside.

If they honored price drops up until the sailing date it would cost them a ton as they drop prices to fill the boat. Yes not everyone monitors prices like a hawk, but enough do that revenue would take a definite hit.

I understand the frustration, we've all been there. But the OP expressed anger in the opening statement "RCCL won't honor price reductions!!!" So the "I just wanted to vent" comment was not actually all that accurate. RCCL is in business to make a profit, just like the airlines, car rentals, hotels, etc. They price their product according to demand. When a ship leaves port with an empty cabin, it loses money. Just as an airlines that flies with an empty seat or hotel that goes with empty rooms. They are more profitable with someone in the cabin for less money as they will spend on the ship.

So why do we get angry? If the "deal" is "new bookings only," then it's "new bookings only." You have held a cabin, probably a desirable one, out of the inventory for x number of days or months. For example, a balcony on the hump on deck 9 on Oasis is more desirable and bookable than the same cabin all the way aft on the side. So if they suddenly drop the price of the less desirable cabins, why should you get the deal? Effectively prior to final payment, you cancel and rebook under the no penalty clause. They just don't make you go through the paperwork hassle of canceling then rebooking. It's just like booking a flight. I work for the airlines. People always want to book the cheapest, least desirable flight, then get a "free change" to the most desirable, expensive flight. And don't get why they can't.

All businesses have "sales." If you buy a shirt then it goes on sale a week later for 50% off, you don't get a refund. You need to return the shirt and re-buy it. If you don't have your receipt then you don't get full refund, only the sale price refund. If you wore the shirt you're out of luck. It's simply "doing business."

So the best thing to do, wait until after final payment has occurred before booking the cruise. If the price comes down and cabins are available, great... you go. If the price goes up or the ship fills up... you stay home. Or you simply book the cabin you want, at the rate you are willing to pay, then go on the cruise and have fun. If you can upgrade great. We've done that frequently. But if not due to the restrictions... so be it.

Sure in this situation ANYONE would be annoyed....

Sorry, but don´t include me into this one. I would not be annoyed. I think it´s most generous to honor price Drops up until final payment date - something not done in my neck of the Woods hence the reason for me to book in the US.

I think it´s a fair deal and nope it does not annoy me if there´s someone booking late for less than what I paid.

Oh, so you're complaining about a policy you knew about. Wow.... That's kind of pathetic...

It still amazes me the rudeness that some people show on these boards...Did you really have to post this?? And so what if the OP did know.....Who really cares? Seriously who cares?????? Just ignore and move on with the next thread....

5/17/2010 ~~ Another New Pricing Policy takes affect..... now only price drops up until final payment will be honored. If, after final payment, a cabin category higher than what was originally booked is priced the same as or lower than, an upgrade can be requested.

thank you.

It still amazes me the rudeness that some people show on these boards...Did you really have to post this?? And so what if the OP did know.....Who really cares? Seriously who cares?????? Just ignore and move on with the next thread....

So why did you care? Did you really have to post this? Just ignore and move on with the next thread/post.

I so agree with you JetsFan. Sometimes these boards can get downright nasty for no apparent reason. I just don't get it!!

Maybe your companions don't want adjoining cabins and that is why they moved - they might want more privacy. If you feel like you have to be so close, tell your companions THEY owe you $50, they're the ones who moved. Are you talking about the Oasis on Jan 18 that is on the Going, going, gone sale (formerly the Tuesday sale). If so, that clearly states new bookings only. Do you really need to be in their back pocket? If so, you should have discussed that before you all booked and they should have consulted you before moving. IMHO :)

Thanks for clearing up the price reduction as I was unaware that this was a sale fare with a restriction. As for our companions, they are our daughter, son-in-law and grandson, and they do want us in a nearby cabin!!!

Yes! They all do, but not after final payment-sounds like an airline!

The only major cruise line that will honor price drops after final payment is Carnival and you must book the early saver rate which comes with penalties if you need to cancel or make changes to your reservation. Other than that all the cruise lines will not give you a refund or OBC after final payment. You can upgrade if something is available.

Just booked a 4 night on the Enchantment and the price dropped to half that I paid today. RCCL won't honor the reduction after final payment is made!!

Is this such a surprise? You entered into and negotiated a contract with them to pay an agreed upon fare for a cabin. If the price went up, would you offer to pay the fare increase?

Supply and Demand.

want Best or specific cabin buy early pay more

want cheap fare, wait till last minute after final payments and get whats left over.

Is this such a surprise? You entered into and negotiated a contract with them to pay an agreed upon fare for a cabin. If the price went up, would you offer to pay the fare increase?

Supply and Demand.

want Best or specific cabin buy early pay more

want cheap fare, wait till last minute after final payments and get whats left over.

I'm not sure that there was any negotiation. RCI offers a sailing for a certain price on a certain date and you either take it or leave it.