Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

If you don't like Carnival, which you obviously don't, then your only purpose for posting a comment like "Why are you still sailing Carnival?" is to put people down. I'm frankly sick of it. If you think you're too good for Carnival, that's fine, but why come over here just to rub our noses in it?

Actually, I just read your posts as incessantly angry. Not sure what side you're on.

You guys got Jimbo all wrong. He's faithful to Carnival. Not a cheerleader but not a hater either.

Is the Splendor the red headed stepchild which nobody wants?? (in the Splendor's case, the pink headed stepchild). :o

This ship seems to be having a hard time finding a permanent home. From Ft. Lauderdale, to Los Angeles, to New York, and now to Miami. I wish her luck.

About NYC, I can't say that I'm surprised that Carnival is pulling out. Prices were already ridiculously low. With Quantum of the Seas and Royal Princess joining Norwegian Breakaway during the fall of 2014 in NYC, it seems like the competition was only going to get tougher.

I am not surprised either. I do not know if this is the first time that competitive pricing by the other lines has pushed Carnival out of a home port before but it may be a sign of things to come unless they get it together.

I would love to see them bring another ship to NY. Not pull out of the port totally. I was never drawn to try the Splendor, so we've always flown to Florida to cruise even though we can be at the pier in 50 minutes. Give me Baltimore....something close by. Don't just leave the Northeast all together. Geesh.

Your 2nd leg of the cruise shouldn't have been allowed in the first place..... PVSA:confused:

The point is moot now, but San Juan is specifically excluded from the PVSA, hence a legal booking.

Saddening. :(

First Boston, then Baltimore, now NYC?!?!?! Doesn't Carnival know that the Bos-Wash region is the most densely populated in the country [along with one of the richest!]?

and coldest (except Alaska, which is an entirely different type of cruising). Wealthy people aren't going to sail down the Atlantic coast in the dead of winter when they can hop a plane to warmer climes and be there in a couple of hours.

Just need to vent. Booked the Splendor out of New York a couple months ago for a very cheap 8 day cruise For Nov. 2014. We got an email today from Carnival stating it has now been cancelled due to repostioning Splendor to Miami. It leaves Nov 1 for a one-way to San Juan and then will reposition to Miami. DARN! I was actually looking forward to this.

This is the danger of booking over a year in advance I guess. We now have to find a similiar cruise. On the plus side, the letter did state for us to call them and they will work with us and it seems to even say if we book a silimar cruise with similar accomadations that they will keep our price, which would be awesome. We originally booked the 8 day cruise, with an inside cabin for $349 or close to that. We will see. We wil see.

If Splendor is leaving what is taking its place? Is Carnival going to sail out of NY anymore? Does anyone know?

How are you going to find a "similar cruise" if they're not sailing out of NY anymore? And are they going to pay your airfare to get to this "similar cruise"? Please keep us posted with how this ended up for you. I'd love to know that Carnival honored that price on a cruise out of Florida AND paid your airfare!

So Carnival is now going to have 12 ships based in Florida year round? :eek:

Freedom, Liberty, Sunshine, Glory, Splendor, Breeze, Conquest, Pride, Inspiration, Ecstasy, Sensation and Fascination.

Did I miss any?

That's quite a few ships.

I would really hope with that many ships sailing from Florida, (year round, no less) that they would start adding old/new ports to their itineraries to mix things up a little. I can't say I'll be holding my breath though.

I traveled on the Pride in October 2013. I believe the first two days are underway because that is what Carnival wants because we only travel at 18knots which is not full speed.

Not to nitpick, but hardly ever does a ship sail at full speed (20+ knots). Its mostly used for rushing into/out of ports if there's an urgent matter.

Looking at the sailings out of Miami once Splendor arrives, it will have 3 Carnival ships doing the same eastern and western itinerary (Glory and Conquest too). Seems like too many ships doing the same itinerary from the same port.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

How are you going to find a "similar cruise" if they're not sailing out of NY anymore? And are they going to pay your airfare to get to this "similar cruise"? Please keep us posted with how this ended up for you. I'd love to know that Carnival honored that price on a cruise out of Florida AND paid your airfare!

See my response in post#58. It worked out and to my favor.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Looking at the sailings out of Miami once Splendor arrives, it will have 3 Carnival ships doing the same eastern and western itinerary (Glory and Conquest too). Seems like too many ships doing the same itinerary from the same port.

I agree. Seems way to ship heavy. Almost making them compete against themselves, which would drive down pricing. My guess is theere will be shp movement that will be announced in the April May timeframe (I hope anyway).

I agree. Seems way to ship heavy. Almost making them compete against themselves, which would drive down pricing. My guess is theere will be shp movement that will be announced in the April May timeframe (I hope anyway).

That's what I was thinking, probably going to move glory or conquest out eventually.

Is the Splendor the red headed stepchild which nobody wants?? (in the Splendor's case, the pink headed stepchild). :o

This ship seems to be having a hard time finding a permanent home. From Ft. Lauderdale, to Los Angeles, to New York, and now to Miami. I wish her luck.

About NYC, I can't say that I'm surprised that Carnival is pulling out. Prices were already ridiculously low. With Quantum of the Seas and Royal Princess joining Norwegian Breakaway during the fall of 2014 in NYC, it seems like the competition was only going to get tougher.

She certaily has moved around more than her fair share. When was she in FT Lauderdale? I don't remember that (not that it means anything).

You are correct about the New York market. That being said, I still think (maybe a little more hope than think) there is room for a Carnival ship in the New York market (especially with Pride leaving Baltimore). Year round is a different topic, but in season I still think it fits.

I also agree that unless there are other movements, they are over saturated in the Florida market (how many ships can you send to Nassau, HMC, Grand Turk and Cozumel:confused:). We will see. It appears to be a time of change for Carnival.

Not to nitpick, but hardly ever does a ship sail at full speed (20+ knots). Its mostly used for rushing into/out of ports if there's an urgent matter.

Galveston ships ships need to do this. THe Magic spends a lot of time 18-22 knots.

This "NY Market" thing is just so silly......and not the reason the Splendor is leaving.

There are rich people here; there are poor people here; this port is convenient for NJ, CT, PA..........

"The affluent" are a very small minority......and although our "incomes" may be higher than other places.....our expenses are also higher. So...if anything....the typical NYer has less "disposable income" available for cruising.

(I own a tax prep business. I see lots of high salaries....and most of these people are "just getting by".

This "NY Market" thing is just so silly......and not the reason the Splendor is leaving.

There are rich people here; there are poor people here; this port is convenient for NJ, CT, PA..........

"The affluent" are a very small minority......and although our "incomes" may be higher than other places.....our expenses are also higher. So...if anything....the typical NYer has less "disposable income" available for cruising.

(I own a tax prep business. I see lots of high salaries....and most of these people are "just getting by".

I meant nothing more thatn sailing from New York (not that is were all the people with the extra money is/are). Can't argue with the logic.

She certaily has moved around more than her fair share. When was she in FT Lauderdale? I don't remember that (not that it means anything).

You are correct about the New York market. That being said, I still think (maybe a little more hope than think) there is room for a Carnival ship in the New York market (especially with Pride leaving Baltimore). Year round is a different topic, but in season I still think it fits.

I also agree that unless there are other movements, they are over saturated in the Florida market (how many ships can you send to Nassau, HMC, Grand Turk and Cozumel:confused:). We will see. It appears to be a time of change for Carnival.

Ft. Lauderdale was her initial home after she made her maiden transatlantic crossing, but she was there for only a few months before Carnival decided to send her around South America to her new home in Long Beach after Royal announced they were sending the Mariner to Long Beach as well (monkey see, monkey do :rolleyes:).

On a side note, I mentioned earlier that there will now be 12 ships based in Florida year round. It's actually 13. I forgot about the Victory.

This may be part of the reason why so many frequent cruisers are feeling blah about Carnival. So many ships doing the same old itineraries, from the same old embarkation ports, to the same old places.

You know what would make me really excited about sailing on Carnival again? Different itineraries! Even something as simple as the 8 night to Costa Rica, Belize and Panama that they used to have on the Miracle would be phenomenal.

Edited by Tapi

On a side note, I mentioned earlier that there will now be 12 ships based in Florida year round. It's actually 13. I forgot about the Victory.

This may be part of the reason why so many frequent cruisers are feeling blah about Carnival. So many ships doing the same old itineraries, from the same old embarkation ports, to the same old places.

I hope this is an interim step. Pulling back homeports and ports of call and over saturating the area with ships seems short sighted to me.

Slightly not true. I have noticed that both the Splendor and Miracle travels around 20 knots when traveling up and down the ocean heading to/from NYC during the sea days to cover up the long distances to the ports. I even seen the Glory do 20 knots for the Canada runs a few years ago on a sea day

Does anyone know the exact itinerary for the November 1, 2014 repo cruise from SJU to MIA on the Splendor??

The carnival website shows the ports but when you click on the sailing for details an error message comes up so I can't see the port arrival/departure hours and the number of sea days!

Also will it be a violation if I tacked on the November 9 sailing (leaving and returning to MIA) for a B2B???

Thanks!

Edited by Georgie562

Also will it be a violation if I tacked on the November 9 sailing (leaving and returning to MIA) for a B2B???

Thanks!

See above for the answer. San Juan is exempted for the requirements.

Edited by arush5268d