Coffee card

lrockwitt

When pre ordered they don't mark the coffee card. We also have had the crew members sell the card and not mark it . We have received cards that are unmarked even when sold in the IC.

We pre-ordered four cards for our Dawn Princess voyage in October. There were four vouchers for cards in our cabin when we embarked. We redeemed the vouchers for cards at the Patisserie, the Dawn's main coffee bar. At redemption the barista (Sawat from Thailand, great barista!) checked off our vouchers against a list, meticulously marked the four cards and only then gave them to us.

This may be a new procedure offering more control over the pre-order issuance of coffee cards.

As far as crew not marking the cards, this is an example of how difficult it is to control human beings. It is often like "herding cats". In the past we also received unmarked cards a few times. A couple of times alert baristas would check and enter the current voyage information even after the punches had started. We're happy with the "deal" offered by the card and do not worry about needing another card for fresh-brewed on our next cruises.

We have only this year used up the last of the punches on a coffee card purchased on our Alaskan cruise three years ago. We are not great coffee drinkers but do like the occasional latte, so the punches last us a long time. It would not be worth us swapping out our minibars for any more coffee cards in the future if there is going to be a problem with us using either the punches or the free brewed coffee facility on other ships. Shame as we are not big spirit or soda drinkers. Could always swap for the water package :(

Are they different coffee cards on each ship?
You would know (and if you didn't, you know now) that the unlimited brewed is for just the cruise you bought the card on. It doesn't matter whether there's a date on the back or not... you know whether you just purchased it.

... It would not be worth us swapping out our minibars for any more coffee cards in the future if there is going to be a problem with us using either the punches or the free brewed coffee facility on other ships. ...

There is no problem using coffee card punches on any Princess ship or on any Princess voyage. It is the free brewed coffee that does not transfer between ships and voyages.

How do you pre-order a coffee card? I've looked on the cruise personalizer but can't find it. Thanks.

Here is a link to the variety of Gifts and Services you can pre-order...

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/index.jsp

Go to 'Princess Cellars and Culinary Delights' section, then to 'Princess Cellars' for lists and costs.

Then call Princess Cruises and have them add it to your booking. :D

How do you pre-order a coffee card? I've looked on the cruise personalizer but can't find it. Thanks.

Here is a link to the variety of Gifts and Services you can pre-order...

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/index.jsp

Go to 'Princess Cellars and Culinary Delights' section, then to 'Princess Cellars' for lists and costs.

Then call Princess Cruises and have them add it to your booking. :D

You save a couple of dollars per card by pre-ordering. I'm not 100% sure but I think it has to do with not being charged the gratuity for pre-orders. As the agent said when we last pre-ordered, "You are gifting yourself."

You save a couple of dollars per card by pre-ordering. I'm not 100% sure but I think it has to do with not being charged the gratuity for pre-orders. As the agent said when we last pre-ordered, "You are gifting yourself."

Not sure why it costs a little less this way, but it does include the gratuity.

You would know (and if you didn't, you know now) that the unlimited brewed is for just the cruise you bought the card on. It doesn't matter whether there's a date on the back or not... you know whether you just purchased it.

But what if I DID NOT purchase it but got it in exchange for my Elite bar set up?

Hi! We are taking our first Princess cruise in a long time and are wanting to buy a coffee card in advance. Our problem is trying to decide if we need 2. When you talk about the "brewed coffee" being unlimited with the card, am I correct to assume you mean what is available other than at the buffet or main dining room? Is the coffee brewed at the IC different than the buffet/main dining room? This might help us decide if we want 1 or 2 cards. Also...if we purchase 1 in advance and decide we need another during the cruise, can we purchase it during the voyage? We are on a 10 day cruise on the Emerald in February.

Thanks so much!

Soccer Mom

Hi! We are taking our first Princess cruise in a long time and are wanting to buy a coffee card in advance. Our problem is trying to decide if we need 2. When you talk about the "brewed coffee" being unlimited with the card, am I correct to assume you mean what is available other than at the buffet or main dining room? Is the coffee brewed at the IC different than the buffet/main dining room? This might help us decide if we want 1 or 2 cards. Also...if we purchase 1 in advance and decide we need another during the cruise, can we purchase it during the voyage? We are on a 10 day cruise on the Emerald in February.

Thanks so much!

Soccer Mom

On most ships (I think the Royal is the exception), the coffee from the spigot is from syrup and hot water. The coffee at the IC and other bars is drip coffee, and much better.

Funny thing, I still have never tried the "brewed" coffee at all. Lattes and blended, yes, espressos and capuccinos, sure. And the main dining room and buffet "regular."

Sometimes the cup of regular java was better than other times. If not for Cruise Critic, I would have just thought some batches had been fresher than others.

At the Chef's Table they served hot "regular" dining room coffee with dessert and conversation.

Not according to PRINCESS!

I don't know who your PRINCESS! source is but in dozens of cruises & hundreds of days on Princess it's been coffee from concentrate. :rolleyes: The only one that apparently is from ground coffee is on the Royal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Is the IC the only place to get brewed coffee, or is available in other places around the ship as well? I realize that the coffee in the MDR and HC is from syrup. Also, can the coffee card be used for a specialty coffee in the MDR, or in the IC only?

The IC (or Patisserie without an IC) is where to get brewed coffee. You can order a specialty coffee drink in the MDR using a coffee card punch or paid. There may be a delay as the waiter has to go to the IC/Patisserie to order & return with it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

My question: If I purchase only one coffee card, can two people get the free brewed coffee? Or do we each need our own card?

Can't wait to go on the Ruby on January 9th! My first Princess cruise. I have an Alaska cruise booked for May, which I thought would be my first. But the free FCC was hard to pass up especially being a Floridian. My freebie FCC is going towards the Alaska cruise. I'm thinking Princess will become my favorite line. I'll be going on my first Celebrity in Feb so I will be able to compare the lines while both cruises are still fresh in my mind.

I just went on Norwegian Dawn and was not impressed. :(

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the free coffee on the ship. The coffee card would be a waste of money for me. Just a personal opinion.

The free coffee was just fine, except for the 15% of the time that it wasn't. And brewed wasn't an option at those times without getting up and changing venues.

Mainly the coffee card gives you a discount on most specialty coffee drinks - those costing over $2.22

~sent using Cruise Critic app~