My Bar vs. Calico Jacks

MrMan

Partner and I will be in Grand Caymen a couple of days after Christmas arriving on Ruby Princess. We are both 50, get plenty of sun at home (Texas) and have very stressful jobs requiring worldwide travel. The last thing we need is a tour, stingrays ( plenty in TX) and get bored laying on beach after about an hour. We would like to sit, distress, have more than enough to drink in a great atmosphere. We like dives as well as high end. Thoughts on My Bar vs Calico Jacks?

I would avoid Calico Jacks based on your description. Especially during the holidays, it'll likely be packed with families since its right next to Public Beach with the playground and everything.

My Bar is essentially a "hotel bar" at a dive resort in the opposite direction as Seven Mile Beach. Likely quieter, but won't have a "beach club" vibe. May not be as quiet as usual due to the holidays.

Personally, I'd maybe go to Surfside Beach - http://www.surfside.ky/ - since it's newer and at the far end of Seven Mile Beach, I haven't seen it get as crowded as some of the other spots like Royal Palms. It's got comfy furniture on the patio area, and good food & drinks.

Bar Menu

http://sunsethouse.com/images/Menus/Restaurant%20Snack%20Menu%20Nov%20%2010%208_5X11%202011.pdf

but you can also order anything from the restaurant's lunch or dinner menus

(p.s. free wifi)

Great info on My Bar! Seems like a wonderful place to go. :)

I do think the menu prices are in Cayman Island Dollars (KYD) as they are in many other restaurants in Grand Cayman.

The KYD is worth more than the $US.

KYD = 1.20 prox to the US $1.

Easy way to figure it is to add a quarter more per KYD listed for what you'll really be paying with the US currency. Like the beer for $4 KYD would be $5 US ....

LuLu

~~~~~

The last time we were at Calico Jacks was terrible. We got there early and got a picnic table in the back. But then a large group of people showed up. Off a cruise ship, since they had smuggled food off, and were bragging about it. Never ordered anything, since they brought their own booze.

They sat at 4 tables around us, but decided they wanted our table as well. I was sitting on the picnic bench, and one drunk guy sat down very close to me, and rubbed his back against me. We had already ordered food and drinks, but the waitresses would not come near the group. I asked the bar manager for help, but he refused to do anything.

We didn't have anything else to do but pack up and leave. It was just myself and two teen daughters. Not a pleasant experience.

My Bar will be less crowded. It is at the Sunset House Hotel. There is rocky ironshore but no beach at that location.

Neither My Bar nor Calico Jacks would be considered "High End." For a more high end experience you could rent a room for the day at the Westin Hotel and have use of their facilities there.

The last time we were at Calico Jacks was terrible. We got there early and got a picnic table in the back. But then a large group of people showed up. Off a cruise ship, since they had smuggled food off, and were bragging about it. Never ordered anything, since they brought their own booze.

They sat at 4 tables around us, but decided they wanted our table as well. I was sitting on the picnic bench, and one drunk guy sat down very close to me, and rubbed his back against me. We had already ordered food and drinks, but the waitresses would not come near the group. I asked the bar manager for help, but he refused to do anything.

We didn't have anything else to do but pack up and leave. It was just myself and two teen daughters. Not a pleasant experience.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience. Unfortunately, that could happen almost anywhere since the inconsiderate drunks came with you on one of the ships that day. There's really a huge difference in the behaviour of cruise ship passengers, as we've all seen. Some are nice visitors who behave with respect and clean up after themselves, and some are complete savages. For example, the only time we've had a problem at our fav spot, Royal Palms, was when a small group of people off one of the ships made a huge mess in the bathrooms, leaving them pretty much unusable by anyone else there. I felt so sorry for the poor girl that was sent in to clean up. It's tough for the people that work in these spots, since they often can't do anything to control the passengers that aren't behaving nicely, out of fear the savages will cause a bigger stink, maybe?

Edited by bookbabe