Norovirus source

igraf

I was reading an article on germ-ridden surfaces to avoid, and it was mentioned how filthy the surfaces are throughout an airplane lavatory:

http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-03-2011/8-germiest-places.7.html

Cause to reconsider that extra tall latte before the flight! No doubt that airplane lavatories are a prime norovirus source for cruise passengers.

igraf

Edited by igraf

Very true about not touching any surfaces, but the article mentioned e.coli, which is a bacterium, not a virus like norovirus. The Travel Clinic we have been to recommended taking Cipro with us, in case of a bacterial case of traveller's diarrhoea, but of course the antibiotic wouldn't help if you get the virus!

Absolutely....

I've long believed most noro virus that erupts on cruise ships originates in airports and on airplanes.

Wear plastic gloves when on a plane. :D

Kidding,,,,,,,, :rolleyes: I think.

Edited by sail7seas

I would only use the airplane bathroom as a last resort and I try to avoid touching as much as I can.

Same here, Kirk!

If you do, wash your hands in warm soapy water an extra time -- sing the "Happy Birthday" song while washing hands four times instead of twice! :D

LuLu

~~~~

I have no doubt that airports are probably the worst place. We've picked up noro once, it was on the last cruise and thankfully the husband didn't get sick until the night before we were debarking. Unfortunately I didn't realize he was getting sick with it until it was too late and I'd shared a soda with him at the airport. I was sick a few days later and never want that again.

I would only use the airplane bathroom as a last resort and I try to avoid touching as much as I can.

Avoid the public bathrooms on a cruise ship was advice i was given. Use your cabin BR.

Seems like a good idea to me.

I may be wrong, but I remember reading that illnesses are spread often on airplanes because the air you breath at 30,000 feet is recycled and not well filtered. On a side note, we flew Singapore Airlines to Asia earlier this year and sat near a bathroom. About every half hour a stewardess went in there and cleaned it. On a transatlantic later in the year on Delta, the employees never did that. So some airlines might be more sanitary than others.

The article did not specifically mention norovirus, but both e.coli and norovirus are spread via fecal contamination.

While diseases can be spread in any public lavatory, I believe that the awkward airplane lavatories are particularly bad. I can imagine people grabbing onto various surfaces to hold their balance before they had a chance to wash their hands.

igraf

Very true about not touching any surfaces, but the article mentioned e.coli, which is a bacterium, not a virus like norovirus. The Travel Clinic we have been to recommended taking Cipro with us, in case of a bacterial case of traveller's diarrhoea, but of course the antibiotic wouldn't help if you get the virus!

First thing to do if you must use an airplane restroom is to take a paper towel when you enter. Touch nothing with your bare hands. Don't use the dirty water that comes from the faucets to wash. I pump some of the soap in my hands and then wipe with paper towels. When I return to my seat, I use hand wipes from packets we always have with us. I wipe our seat arms, seat backs, the tv controls on Jet Blue and buckle on seat belt etc with the wipes.

First thing to do if you must use an airplane restroom is to take a paper towel when you enter. Touch nothing with your bare hands. Don't use the dirty water that comes from the faucets to wash. I pump some of the soap in my hands and then wipe with paper towels. When I return to my seat, I use hand wipes from packets we always have with us. I wipe our seat arms, seat backs, the tv controls on Jet Blue and buckle on seat belt etc with the wipes.

Sound advice, I like the idea of the paper towel. I do that on the ship, what ever towels they have I use to open the door.

Ahoy!

Your actually going to find many 'filthy surfaces' when utilizing a busy airport.

Door handles, escalator rails, check-in counters & public restrooms to name a few.

Using the old axiom "wash your hands well & often" always works for us.

I might also add, try to avoid touching your mouth, rubbing your eyes, etc. when dealing with your own unwashed hands.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob

A Canadian television show tested airplanes and found the worst offenders were the food trays. They interviewed folks who work on planes and they were not surprised. You apparently have a higher chance of finding fecal matter on the food trays than in the washrooms. The most common culprit are parents siting children on them, changing babies and placing dirty diapers on them.

Always wipe down these trays with alcohol wipes.

A Canadian television show tested airplanes and found the worst offenders were the food trays. They interviewed folks who work on planes and they were not surprised. You apparently have a higher chance of finding fecal matter on the food trays than in the washrooms. The most common culprit are parents siting children on them, changing babies and placing dirty diapers on them.

Gross! You'd think it might be a good idea if HAL wiped us all down with alcohol wipes as we board - or maybe a sheep dip sort of thing!

Well . . . that made my day! What is wrong with some people's parenting skills - a total lack of good sense and propriety?

Absolutely....

I've long believed most noro virus that erupts on cruise ships originates in airports and on airplanes.

Wear plastic gloves when on a plane. :D

Kidding,,,,,,,, :rolleyes: I think.

The article did not specifically mention norovirus, but both e.coli and norovirus are spread via fecal contamination.

While diseases can be spread in any public lavatory, I believe that the awkward airplane lavatories are particularly bad. I can imagine people grabbing onto various surfaces to hold their balance before they had a chance to wash their hands.

igraf

Noro AKA Norwalk visus is a Non-Bacterial gastrointestinal illness which is much like the flu..It can spread from person to person or from contaminated foods or water..

You really can't pick up noro from handling airplane toilet seats, menue's, Soap & Towel dispensers, condiment dispensers etc. Following is a quote from :

http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-center/noroviruses-norwalk-viruses-info.aspx

Quote: What causes infection with noroviruses?

Noroviruses generally spread through contaminated water and foods, although they can also pass from person to person. You may become infected by:

Eating foods or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus. Shellfish and salad ingredients are the foods most often infected with the viruses. Food other than shellfish may be contaminated by food handlers.

Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing your hand in your mouth.

Having direct contact with someone who is infected. For example, if you are a caregiver or share foods or utensils with someone who is ill, you may become infected.

Persons working in day care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illnesses. This virus is very contagious and can spread rapidly throughout these environments.

What are the symptoms?

The symptoms of gastroenteritis caused by the noroviruses include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Diarrhea and vomiting can cause dehydration. You may have a headache and fever of less than 100°F (37.8°C). A mild and brief illness usually develops 24 to 48 hours after you eat or drink the contaminated food or water and lasts for 24 to 60 hours. Most people are rarely very sick or have to go to the hospital.

How are infections with noroviruses diagnosed?

Since most norovirus infections are mild and pass in a few days, most people do not go to their health professionals for a diagnosis. You can often diagnosis food poisoning yourself if others who ate the same food as you also become ill.

If you do go to your health professional, he or she will make the diagnosis based on your symptoms, a medical history, and a physical exam. Your health professional will ask where you have been eating and whether anyone who ate the same foods has the same symptoms. A stool test is sometimes done. UNQUOTE

This is one reason those of us who work in Pet Therapy, never went into a hospital room with our dogs when the person had Noro or any type of virus..

Check out the CDC info & keep your hands out of your mouth! http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

According to CDC websites, norovirus is also spread from contaminated surfaces. In fact, your quote below also says the same thing.

Transmission via contaminated surfaces is why HAL forbids self service of any kind in the Lido buffet for the first two days of a cruise. This policy has proven to be effective against norovirus outbreaks.

igraf

[quote name=serendipity1499;41051386..You really can't pick up noro from handling airplane toilet seats' date=' menue's, Soap & Towel dispensers, condiment dispensers etc. Following is a quote from :

http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-center/noroviruses-norwalk-viruses-info.aspx

...Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing your hand in your mouth. .

Betty[/quote]

Don't forget the fold-down trays on seat backs on airplanes.

In the dining room, what is the first thing you do after your sit? Reach under the chair and pull it in. How often do you think that area is sanitized?

Edited by Chelly

Noro AKA Norwalk visus is a Non-Bacterial gastrointestinal illness which is much like the flu..It can spread from person to person or from contaminated foods or water..

You really can't pick up noro from handling airplane toilet seats, menue's, Soap & Towel dispensers, condiment dispensers etc. Following is a quote from :

<snip>

Betty

Huh? :confused:

If we can contract Noro Like Viruses on cruise ships by touching chair arms, tables, door handles, faucets, toilet flush buttons etc etc etc.

Why would you say we cannot contract Noro like Virus on an airplane by the same route?

Of course, we can. :eek:

If an infected person touches their mouth, nose, etc and then touches the seat arm or seat belt buckle on an airplane, the next person who touches that surface and then touches their mouth, nose, eyes etc, most assuredly can be infected. It is highly contagious.

Edited by sail7seas

Makes you wonder if it's safe to leave the house?

Some of this is just so gross. What's wrong with parents to change babies on a tray? On the other hand, there is no surface on a plane that's available to do the job. Imagine they might lie the baby down on the seat while they stand to change them. UGH Wish I could drive to the port.

Makes you wonder if it's safe to leave the house?

Some of this is just so gross. What's wrong with parents to change babies on a tray? On the other hand, there is no surface on a plane that's available to do the job. Imagine they might lie the baby down on the seat while they stand to change them. UGH Wish I could drive to the port.

I'm with you Carol. After reading this thread, I dug out a couple pairs of surgical gloves to put in my carry-on next week.....LOL!

I'm with you Carol. After reading this thread, I dug out a couple pairs of surgical gloves to put in my carry-on next week.....LOL!

No kidding, Chelly. I'm doing the same thing.

I was in the bathroom at the movie theater today, and unlike the ships' bathrooms, if you use a paper towel to open the door, there's no nice little basket to throw it in. It's a hassle to stay germ free.

By the way, my doctor told me that there's not much use in wearing a mask since the germs can travel through it.

Have a great cruise and stay healthy.

Edited by mamaofami