Chuck's Steak House Replacement in Fort Lauderdale

The Tsar

And Bimini Boatyard is THE best. Across the street and down a bit but walkable.

Is Bimini Boatyard good again? When it was sold, the quality was not what it used to be and we didn't return. I'm happy if it has returned to being what it once was.

Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends I guess on a person's definition of 'quality' seafood. ;)

We just ate there for lunch and it was great. Crowded too.

I love their Diane salad and Bimini bread

We used to go there quite often.

I love the Diane salad the Bimini bread.

Sadly -- it is too far me to walk there and the last time we did go there via a cab, we had to wait over 1/2 hour for cab to take us back to our hotel.

I prefer the Southport Oyster Bar which is also a couple of blocks from Embassy Suites to Kelly's. Southport Oyster Bar is an authentic Florida joint, not a New England import, and it is pretty good.

Thanks! We ate at Kelly's last time so we will do a taste test and compare:D

Thanks! We ate at Kelly's last time so we will do a taste test and compare:D

Did you like Kelley's, Jacqui?

We have passed by it many times in all the years we've been going to FLL but we have never chosen to eat there. I know you are used to good seafood so your opinion matters to me. :)

First, thank you for all that responded to my initial inquiry regarding the current status of Chucks. Seems that there will not be any replacement at this time.

Many have offered other dinning suggestions, unfortunately both my wife and I do not care for seafood.

I guess I should modify my inquiry - Any recommendations for an excellent Steak House with a good/expansive salad bar, within reasonable walking distance to the 17th St. Embassy Suites?

First, thank you for all that responded to my initial inquiry regarding the current status of Chucks. Seems that there will not be any replacement at this time.

Many have offered other dinning suggestions, unfortunately both my wife and I do not care for seafood.

I guess I should modify my inquiry - Any recommendations for an excellent Steak House with a good/expansive salad bar, within reasonable walking distance to the 17th St. Embassy Suites?

The only other steakhouse I know nearby is Outback.

A non seafood option that I can't vouch for it myself because I never tried it but I know quite a few who have dined at is the Irish Pub across the street Waxy Oconnor. My friends have always liked it.

Well, I never think of "excellent steak houses" and "salad bars" in the same statement since not sure it exists :). If you want a truly excellent steak (and excellent steak house prices) you could go to Morton's, although you would need a taxi ride. But the steak is excellent and the prices will cost more then a day on a cruise ship :)

Hank

Well, I never think of "excellent steak houses" and "salad bars" in the same statement since not sure it exists :). If you want a truly excellent steak (and excellent steak house prices) you could go to Morton's, although you would need a taxi ride. But the steak is excellent and the prices will cost more then a day on a cruise ship :)

Hank

I agree with you on this Hank. Excellent is at Morton's, Ruth Chris, or Capital Grill. I don't think of Chuck's, Outback etc. as excellent. Not to say you can't get a very good steak at other places but not excellent steaks. Never been to an excellent steak house with a salad bar.

Hank - "Well, I never think of "excellent steak houses" and "salad bars" in the same statement since not sure it exists ."

Charles - "Never been to an excellent steak house with a salad bar"

OK - Then a GOOD Steak House

PS: Off subject a bit, but - Best award winning "Duck a l'Orange" I have ever had was in a gas station in Dallas, TX.

Edited by The Tsar

Hank - "Well, I never think of "excellent steak houses" and "salad bars" in the same statement since not sure it exists ."

PS: Off subject a bit, but - Best award winning "Duck a l'Orange" I have ever had was in a gas station in Dallas, TX.

There are a lot of restaurants in that area so there should be a place to get a good steak. Ask the concierge. Also they have built up behind he Embassy Suites. There might be something new there. And in the same blocks where the seafood restaurants are that were mentioned there are non seafood restaurants that looked popular.

Well if you just want good then perhaps the Outback would be ideal. It is within walking distance and has decent food.

We are certified "foodies" and have often been surprised at finding some great food at off the wall places. But when it comes to the best well aged steak, we have had very few surprises. You want a great steak...then you generally need to go to a great steak house. The down side is that you are going to pay dearly for that experience as most of these places charge $45+ for just the meat.

Hank

Did you like Kelley's, Jacqui?

We have passed by it many times in all the years we've been going to FLL but we have never chosen to eat there. I know you are used to good seafood so your opinion matters to me. :)

It was actually quite decent Sail ;)

We just dropped in with another couple and the food was quite edible;)

It's quite laid back, friendly and they did have chowder that day. I didn't have it (I would have been full) but DH did as well as our friends and DH said it was good (not excellent, good ;)). Yes, we are indeed fussy on our sea food but DH was happy with his fish and mine was quite good.

I like experimenting in FLL - my biggest regret was the Bimini Boatyards. Now, I have heard great reports, but our experience was expensive and not worth near the price we paid. The only thing they did well was the oysters.

so, we will definitely try the oyster bar mentioned earlier. It caught my eye and this time my feet will take me there to try:D

It was actually quite decent Sail ;)

We just dropped in with another couple and the food was quite edible;)

It's quite laid back, friendly and they did have chowder that day. I didn't have it (I would have been full) but DH did as well as our friends and DH said it was good (not excellent, good ;)). Yes, we are indeed fussy on our sea food but DH was happy with his fish and mine was quite good.

I like experimenting in FLL - my biggest regret was the Bimini Boatyards. Now, I have heard great reports, but our experience was expensive and not worth near the price we paid. The only thing they did well was the oysters.

so, we will definitely try the oyster bar mentioned earlier. It caught my eye and this time my feet will take me there to try:D

Thanks, Jacqui.

Appreciate your comments.

I'll throw something else out at you....Ernie's Barbeque on US1 just south of 17th Street. Looks like a dive outside but good food inside. The BBQ sauce tends to be spicy since it's Bahamian style. The house specialty is Conch Chowder. I try to eat something I'm not going to get on the ship and BBQ is definitely not HAL's specialty.

anytime :) I need to find more places in FLL. There are so many places to eat close by - so it's nice to get input or share.

Not inexpensive but we enjoy:

http://www.bistromezzaluna.com/

They used to be right on 17th Street but moved a few years ago..... very nearby and short distance from Embassy, Hilton and Hyatt Pier 66.

We thoroughly enjoy Casa D'Angelo's, but you'll need a car or taxi to get there.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

We love their appetizers! Wonderful.

We've had some great times there with friends who live in the area.