Noro Virus Outbreak on Xmas Cruise? Sun Princess

Zanny

Hi, I noticed in the roll call for the cruise departing 30th Dec that they will be boarding later as there has been a noro virus outbreak on the Xmas cruise. Just wondering if any body has heard much about this?

I am on the cruise on Jan 25th . Hopefully every thing will be okay. Hope they fix it for the New years cruise. Regards Zanny:(

I'm sure everything will be fine. They work quickly to contain outbreaks - it happens more frequently than you would think. If only people would wash their hands and keep their coughs to themselves............. We were in Woolies yesterday and my daughter saw a "lady" lift the lid of a see-through cake box and press her finger on the cake! Ugghhh! (I'm sure if I had seen her I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut :D - and I would have taken the cake over to the staff who would, hopefully, have thrown in in the bin.:confused:)

Hope the passengers still had a lovely Christmas cruise.

I'm on the New Years cruise & received an email today saying because of the higher than usual number of cases of Noro Virus boarding time will be delayed so they can do a thorough disinfection of the ship. Better to embark late than have the possibility of getting sick.

I am really curious about Norovirus -- with unanswered questions like, why does it break out on one ship and not another -- why does it break out on ships at all when it doesn't do so in other crowded quarters??

I know that there will be immediate answers to these questions - and I have heard them all -- but they don't satisfy me.

I spent 10 years in the Navy -- in VERY close and crowded conditions - and never ever even heard of anything comparable to Norovirus. We have also been on 15 cruises now and have only ever been on one ship which had it (to our knowledge) and it didn't affect either my wife or me.

So many questions -- so few answers :)

Barry

I am really curious about Norovirus -- with unanswered questions like, why does it break out on one ship and not another -- why does it break out on ships at all when it doesn't do so in other crowded quarters??

I know that there will be immediate answers to these questions - and I have heard them all -- but they don't satisfy me.

I spent 10 years in the Navy -- in VERY close and crowded conditions - and never ever even heard of anything comparable to Norovirus. We have also been on 15 cruises now and have only ever been on one ship which had it (to our knowledge) and it didn't affect either my wife or me.

So many questions -- so few answers :)Barry

I think its always been around Barry , but these days they like to give things flash names. When we cruised on Arcadia (now Pacific Pearl) in 1998 they had an outbreak but it was called "Delhi Belly" as the ship had come via India.

Noro is more prevelant than we may think , as it only gets mentioned in the media if there is a big outbreak. It is very common in Rest Homes and Hospitals. We had a major Hospital close its doors to all visitors until they contained an outbreak recently.Schools are also prone to outbreaks.

I was on Ruby transatlantic in2012 and we had noro outbreak two days into the cruise. Then to add too that we had a food poisoning outbreak when all of the princess excursion passengers trips to casablanca got sick. Had to fill out a survey about it all before getting off the ship. I didn't get sick, as I didn't do the excursion, did my own private tour. Eat lunch at a restaurant in Casablanca, food was delicious.

Ship was really quiet at times, as a lot of people were confined to their cabins.

As for Delhi belly I've been to India before, never got sick eaten local food. You just got follow the rules eating in these countries. Off to India on Sunday. If your feeling a little bit crook, sip on some coke in the can stuff or bottle. Coke cures all.

Edited by icat2000

Hi, Thank You for your replies. I went on the VOS in Jan this year and we had no problems but on a few cruises before that there had been alot of cases. I saw many many people not washing their hands etc. (I felt like saying something but never wanted to start a fight etc. I suppose that i hadn't heard much about it for the last few weeks and thought that was good cause no one had spoken about noro lately. I do believe that on each cruise a few passengers would get sick from it but on the 15 cruises i have been on i have never had it. Although on VOS the last day i caught the flu. Still enjoyed the cruise.

I have already bought my Hands First Sanitser that i will take with us. I aklso took it earlier this year and carried it every where. i know the staff will be working very hard to get the ship right. I just hope all the passengers still had a lovely cruise and also the next cruise passengers.

Regards Zanny Happy New Year To all Of You.:)

Dont touch the stair rails, try to avoid using public restrooms but if you must, dont touch the door handles with your bare hands (use a tissue, paper towel etc) and likewise lift buttons. If I'm going to eat at the buffet, I go as soon as it opens so that limits the amount of people handling the tongs .

I have never had noro

Helps to have good immune system.

Stay away from sick people who are coughing and spluttering.

Also stay out of the hot tubs, they are just a breeding ground for germs. Especially, when there is a lot of people with cold and sicknesses on the ship.

I try and eat in the dinning room for most of my meals.

I just got off the Diamond Princess 3 days ago. I can confirm Noro Virus was alive & well. 2 out of 4 in my cabin got it & were quarantined (myself being one of them). We were upfront about it & did the right thing by informing the Doctor & being checked over. I was told some people aboard had tried to hide it but got caught out. Some probably never got caught.

I know it went through the kids club. They had to often switch rooms due to a kid chucking up. I witnessed numerous children vomiting into the metal rubbish bins next to the lifts on deck 7.

We avoided the buffet when at all possible. There were some very large tour groups from Asia onboard. I saw many, many passengers refusing to use the hand sanitizer & ignoring staff requests that they were not allowed entry unless they used it.

We were in the UK last Xmas/NY and there was an outbreak with over 1 million cases reported so goodness knows how many cases were unreported.

We boarded Arcadia in early January so we were thinking that with 2000 pax there was bound to be a few boarding who had noro. For the first few days, the crew served the food in the buffet and the outbreak was contained thankfully. I never spoke to anyone who contracted it and heard that it was confined to a handful of cases.

I avoid public restrooms on ships like the plague and use sanitisers but these are only anti bacterial so don't kill noro. Luckily, so far so good.:)

It was 48 hours in the cabin. We were given a special 'light & healthy' room service menu (chicken broth, grilled fish, veggies, bran muffin) We were not allowed to eat anything else (so could not order from the regular room service menu). The 2 in our cabin that were not sick were not allowed to eat from the buffet but other than that were free to come & go as they pleased.

I honestly barely ate a thing. Just a bit of toast & jelly towards the end of the 48 hrs.

They had a special 'room sanatation' team that visited 3 times a days. Changed all the sheets, wiped every surface & sprayed the carpets. Our regular cabin Steward did not enter our room during this time.

Maybe one reason noro spreads on ships more than other crowded places, is that some people hide the fact that they are ill because they don't want to miss any of the cruise they paid a lot of money for. If they caught noro when they were on shore (at work or in a shopping mall) they would just stay home while they were sick and therefore wouldn't pass it on.

Noro was rampant in Perth and Brisbane earlier this year. My niece developed it and she has no idea where from. Her infant son and husband did not get it. I think the best thing in all life situations is to wash your hands frequently. I always stay away from people who are coughing but you can't do that on a plane. And I loathe hot tubs. Shudders.

We were in the UK last Xmas/NY and there was an outbreak with over 1 million cases reported so goodness knows how many cases were unreported.

We boarded Arcadia in early January so we were thinking that with 2000 pax there was bound to be a few boarding who had noro. For the first few days, the crew served the food in the buffet and the outbreak was contained thankfully. I never spoke to anyone who contracted it and heard that it was confined to a handful of cases.

I avoid public restrooms on ships like the plague and use sanitisers but these are only anti bacterial so don't kill noro. Luckily, so far so good.:)

I think alot of it is how healthy you are, immunity?, we were on the Queen Elizabeth last feb-march and there was a big noro outbreak, we were in the Jacuzzi a lot but never got sick, room next door was quarantined. We live in a sunny climate , perhaps the constant sunlight helps. Just my observation.

On the world cruise last year, we had a nasty outbreak and it never ceased to amaze me how people we were quarantined were seen out and about. it really made me angry. Again, the good people do the right thing and inform the doctor and are either given an injection or tablets and are asked to stay in their cabin for 2-3 days or unitl the d&v stops. Sometimes it is a shorter period of time.

We also witnessed groups of people from Asia (not Japanese) who refused to use the sanitiser. I was so disgusted because everybody else suffers when they touch the serving implements. I reported their behaviour to the supervisor, but unfortunately, their behaviour continued.

Isn't it also amazing to see just how many people use their fingers to pick up cookies and cakes?

Nicki

Back in the day, norovirus was called the stomach flu. It made you miserably sick, but didn't last more than two days. It was (and still is) prevalent in any place where there are lot's of people (ships, nursing homes, schools, hospitals, etc.).

Like many of you have said, washing your hands often is the best defense. Also, try to keep your hands away from your face (eyes, nose, mouth).

We've seen so many people who don't use the hand sanitizers :( ! Even if it doesn't prevent noro, it does prevent other infections.

Stay well,

I have discovered a product that is wonderful for getting rid of tummy bugs. Activated Charcoal Powder. Just dissolve a teaspoon in a glass of water, yes the water will go black. Just sip it. Activated Charcoal will pick up any bugs in your system and take it out. My daughter and myself have both recently been sick with stomach bugs, and took the powder. It worked.

I purchased the powder from a health food store.

http://www.charcoalremedies.com/vomiting

Edited by Australian family

I used to have a little gizmo on my car bumper bar - which was supposed to warn kangaroos away as we were driving. I never ever hit a kangaroo in that car -- but the question is "why didn't I???" Was it the gizmo???

We have never had Noro on a ship either -- so the regimen we adopt below either works or we are just lucky :)

1 Wash your hands to two full choruses of "Happy Birthday to me" -- and maybe one extra of "For I'm a jolly good fellow", EVERY time you enter or leave your cabin regardless of how many times in a day that you do so (as well of course after you toilet) .

2 Before departure, go to the kitchen chemicals department of Woolworths or Coles , and get a packet (usually a tube) of kitchen counter wipes (you will see that they have the active compound benzalkonium chloride in them. -- do not get any personal wipes available in the nose (or other places) wiping department, these do not have benzalkonium chloride in them) --then, every time you go anywhere that your hands will approach within 12 inches of your mouth, eg a bar or afternoon tea, etc as well as lunch, dinner,etc) -- use one of these wipes to wash your hands IMMEDIATELY before you commence eating/drinking. This will be of course AFTER you have used the buffet tongs.

This above may also keep kangaroos away while onboard

Barry

This above may also keep kangaroos away while onboard

Barry

Whew! I thought that was an elephant in the room nobody talked about :D What about if I stick a packet on the front of the car?

All good advice, and a topic that is handy to get tips on at any time. Hubby got some of those wipes with that ingredient you mentioned after reading about that on another board here. I now keep them at work too after dodgy customers come in, and before I stop for a cuppa. It amazes me how many people like to tell you how ill they are and they are off work. Stay home idiot. Costs me a lot of money if I have time off sick.

Often the catching of these things is just a random luck of the draw and hard to pinpoint. Hubby and I try to have a policy of eating different foods when travelling. Like one time when we stopped at Maccas OS. Thought that might have been safer, and I had fish and hubby chicken. He got violently ill that evening. We might have been better with just chips and nuggets. Who knows?