BEST ROUTE to Take?

kdinkus1

Does anyone know a better route for the drive from Las Vegas to the Long Beach port? I am very nervous about driving the freeways thru and around LA. Oe does anyone know a place where we could park (our car for the week) north of LA and take a cab/car service to our hotel? Thanks from a very nervous driver!

I made this round trip drive about five years ago and took different routes each way. In one direction I took the most direct route (according the the GPS system), which skirts around the western edge of LA (710 to 105 to 605 to 210 to 15). I sat in so much traffic for the first 60 miles or so that I changed the route on the way back to drop south further west, so leaving Las Vegas I took 15 to 91 (Corona CA) to the 710. This added about 10 miles or so to the trip but it was much more direct than what the GPS wanted me to do and it kept me further away from the city itself.

I broke the trip up with a stop at the Mojave National Preserve, which was interesting (but very, very quiet in January).

Try driving to SNA instead. Park at the long term parking there. Use one of the many shuttle services that will drive you to the Port. Just use your favorite Internet search engine to find all those shuttles.

You'll still be using freeways, but at least you will be doing the OC instead of the LA… Look at Google Maps online and put in your starting point and end at "John Wayne Airport"…

Does anyone know a better route for the drive from Las Vegas to the Long Beach port? I am very nervous about driving the freeways thru and around LA. Oe does anyone know a place where we could park (our car for the week) north of LA and take a cab/car service to our hotel? Thanks from a very nervous driver!

I too live in Las Vegas. If you have problems w LA roads, how do you manage in Vegas with the absolutely nutty drivers that we have?

DON

If you are afraid to drive thru LA traffic, might want to consider flying. Closest airports are Long Beach, Santa Ana/JohnWayne and LAX.

From Las Vegas there is no avoiding some LA freeways.

How much do you want to pay? You could drive down the 15 and stay in the area around the Ontario airport, but the shuttle fare is expensive.

What day is your cruise? Makes a big difference in the traffic, especially through Barstow and the Cajon Pass. In some ways it is easier to drive rush hour than off hours. During rush hour traffic does go slower and the vast majority of drivers know what they are doing.

We live off the 210 and take part of this route--

15 south - 210 west - 605 south - 105 west - 710 south then follow the signs to the Queen Mary

When we leave the house at 10-11am we barely hit any traffic.

From the 15/210 it takes just over an hour, without traffic, to Long Beach.

FWIW DH found the freeways and streets in Indianapolis very frustrating.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks for everyones help! First, I don't live in vegas. I will be visiting my son and his family who do live there. Then we will drive to Long Beach for our cruise. He has driven to LA but only once or twice. We will be going down to LB the day before so using Carnival's shuttle service will be a no. Flying into LB for all of us would be too expensive. So driving is our only option. I was looking for an easier and safe route to the pier and do appreciate everyones help who responded! Thanks! :D

I made this round trip drive about five years ago and took different routes each way. In one direction I took the most direct route (according the the GPS system), which skirts around the western edge of LA (710 to 105 to 605 to 210 to 15). I sat in so much traffic for the first 60 miles or so that I changed the route on the way back to drop south further west, so leaving Las Vegas I took 15 to 91 (Corona CA) to the 710. This added about 10 miles or so to the trip but it was much more direct than what the GPS wanted me to do and it kept me further away from the city itself.

I broke the trip up with a stop at the Mojave National Preserve, which was interesting (but very, very quiet in January).

This is a good route, 15 to 10 to 710, the 710 takes you straight to the pier, we always self park at the pier,, I think it is 110.00 for seven days, and it is a very easy walk from car to check in. Time your drive from vegas so you are on the 91 after 9 am and before 1 pm if traveling week days. happy cruising

This is a good route, 15 to 10 to 710, the 710 takes you straight to the pier, we always self park at the pier,, I think it is 110.00 for seven days, and it is a very easy walk from car to check in. Time your drive from vegas so you are on the 91 after 9 am and before 1 pm if traveling week days. happy cruising

More direct but depending on the day/time the 10 is a nightmare to drive, especially going so close to downtown.

Parking is $17/day.

The Queen Mary and Hotel Maya both have cruise n snooze packages. One night hotel with parking. The Queen Mary is a 5 minute walk to the Dome.

Hello,

I'm not so sure that flying from Las Vegas to Long Beach is more expensive than driving. You will pay for parking at the Long Beach pier plus the pay for gas from Las Vegas to Long Beach round trip. Suggest you go back and look at the numbers.

I live in Southern California and my recommendation, if you do drive, is as follows:

I 15 south from Las Vegas to the 210 west (toward Pasadena).

210 West to the I 605 South.

I -605 south to the I 405 west

I 405 west to 710 South, directly to the Port of Long Beach.

I have chosen the least congested freeways for you. The 710 is probably the most congested but you have a short distance to go on this freeway.

All of the above have carpool lanes. If there are two or more people in your vehicle, you can access these lanes and save quite a lot of time. But pay attention to when and where you need to exit the carpool lanes.

And... driving in Southern California is no more confusing than anywhere else.

Alternatives... You can drive to the Ontario Airport where you can park your car in a parking facility such as Sunrise. And take Supershuttle to the port. You will avoid most of La's freeways but you need to check prices on this.

Good luck