special needs dept. for gluten issues

screwsmcernst

On our Norweigan cruise last year I was provided with gluten free pasta and pizza and breads, cookies whenever I asked. I certainly never went hungry with all the fruit and veggies provided! But for our upcoming Celebrity Cruise I will take the advice here and check out the Special needs page. We try to omit all grains and limit sugar which is really hard because of all the hidden sugar. The advice about asking the bread basket not to be put on the table is good strategy.

On our Norweigan cruise last year I was provided with gluten free pasta and pizza and breads, cookies whenever I asked. I certainly never went hungry with all the fruit and veggies provided! But for our upcoming Celebrity Cruise I will take the advice here and check out the Special needs page. We try to omit all grains and limit sugar which is really hard because of all the hidden sugar. The advice about asking the bread basket not to be put on the table is good strategy.

My dad has Celiac (sp?) disease but wouldn't dream of making the rest of the family/table give up the bread basket.

My dad has Celiac (sp?) disease but wouldn't dream of making the rest of the family/table give up the bread basket.

I wouldn't ask that the bread basket not be placed on the table. If we are at a table for two, my DH frequently requests that it not be placed on the table but that is his choice. I think he should enjoy it.

If we are at a larger table, I try to sit to his left so his bread plate is next to my settings. He knows how to be careful. That works until the person on my left is left handed and moves his plate to the left. Then I just try to be aware.

On many cruises we have taken food off the ship. Some ships will pack you a picnic lunch to take away...and suggest that you take it ashore. One cruise line packs it in an insulated bag. Just don't try to bring it back into the USA. Sealed package food is fine. Anything open is not allowed. Never bring back any fruit.

If in aqua class are gluten free canapés available daily?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In my experiences, no. Others may have had different experiences. The newer type canapies may come closer to being gluten free but I have not sailed since they made those changes.

Other options, order a cheese plate, no crackers or shrimp cocktail. You might also pick up a couple of pieces of sushi and take it to the room. I carry individual tamari packs.

On the Silhouette Transatlantic last month, I was in concierge class, and all my canapes were GF except for one day. They included corn tortilla chips almost every day. Very tasty.

Regarding the GF pizza - eat at your own risk. The ones I've had on Royal are edible and those I used to get on X are/were edible. Sadly, the one I received on the Silhouette wasn't. Crust was cornpone, for lack of a better description. About 1/2" think, VERY hard, with the texture of shortbread (it crumbled). Disgusting. I peeled off the toppings and then had a salad.

I have gluten intolerance, and I was on Celebrity's special needs page, and I didn't see a prompt for food issues. Should I go through the special needs dept., or should I talk to the matre d when we board, or both? I am guessing both. :) Has anyone else had to deal with this issue on a ship? Please let me know how it went for you. Thanks.

My wife has Celiac. There is a form you down load and fax into the special needs dept. No need to do anything else. When you go to the MDR the first time mention it to your wait staff. Dana was spoiled rotten on the Reflection last Nov. Here gluten free pizza in the Lawn Club was better than my regular one! They made her gluten free pasta and pizza to order in the buffet:eek: The only limited area was the deserts, no flourless chocolate cake like she had on the RCCL Freedom.

HANDS DOWN! The best attention to food prep detail we have had on a cruise!

ps: Bistro on Five does make gluten free crapes too!

Edited by wallie5446

Celebrity always has gluten-free food on their MDR menus. My wife is gluten intolerant and was able to eat very well on our last Celebrity cruise.

Hint -- it you eat something gluten-free and want to have it a second time, ask right away to see if it can be prepared later in the cruise. No promises here, but we found Celebrity was very accommodating.

On our cruise on the Silhouette for Xmas I believe they had the gluten free items marked in the MDR menu. Also fill out the Special needs form. I am highly allergic to mustard (not that common but used in all of lamb items in the MDR and crab cakes in a lot of places) and let them know and our waiter knew and double checked the first night along with my son who is allergic to nuts and another to tomatoes. It helps to be in MDR with traditional seating as you will have the same waiter every night

Sharon

On the Silhouette Transatlantic last month, I was in concierge class, and all my canapes were GF except for one day. They included corn tortilla chips almost every day. Very tasty.

Regarding the GF pizza - eat at your own risk. The ones I've had on Royal are edible and those I used to get on X are/were edible. Sadly, the one I received on the Silhouette wasn't. Crust was cornpone, for lack of a better description. About 1/2" think, VERY hard, with the texture of shortbread (it crumbled). Disgusting. I peeled off the toppings and then had a salad.

I will be on the Silhouette later this month and was hoping they had resolved the pizza problem. On the Infinity, both waffles and pizza were pure rice flour with no binders or gum. Absolutely horrible. You could not put enough syrup on the waffles to choke them down. The pizza crust was thick, dry and just fell apart.

We were on the Equinox in Dec of 12 and had good pizza crust, probably premade, but acceptable. I do not understand why they don't make the next step to provide acceptable items that are a part of the regular American diet and standardize it throughout the fleet.

I will say that dinners in the dining room and lunch in Bistro on 5 have been outstanding and I really do appreciate the modifications they have made. I don't starve but I really do long for something different when on 2, 3 or 4 week sailings.

We are in concierge class, so I'm glad to hear the canapés are GF.

I agree that ordering a GF pizza is a little like playing Russian Roulette.:D You never really know until you get one.

We just got off the silhouette dec 22-29. Celebrity was absolutely fabulous with our daughter who has celiac and is also vegetarian. The assistant MD Claire was the best. Our daughter had gf pasta,a focaccia bread, waffles and pizzas. Unfortunately the gf pizza was lousy. But there was alway fruit, some of the cold soups and desserts. Celebrity was wonderful, nut make sure to call the special needs number first

• 5 months later...

We were just in an Aqua suite for a week in February, our firts time with that suite. All i can say is man if you have REAL belly problems (mine are off the charts), that is the cabin for you!! The cabin steward goes out of their way to make sure you have EXACTLY what YOU want to snack on during the day, what kind of drinks left in your room for you, etc... i personally couldnt eat the standard canapes, so they brought 'em to my husband, and brought me fancy peeled fruits and berries, and aged cheese (on my diet). We ate at Blu every night, and have been treated better at even 5 star restaurants at home!! Made me feel at ease right away that they really gave two hoots about my complex eating and belly issues/allergies, and i wasn't sick ONCE the whole time! My husband had tears in his eyes one night just being able to see me EAT with a smile on my face, and no FEAR... so very rare for us anywhere we go. If my food gets messed up, i can easily land in a hospital fast in pain, been this way for years now. Thanks to Blu, i had a VACATION from that stress!!!

Were going for 2 weeks at Christmas again, couldn't get an aqua cabin/Blu this time (were sold out, now some availble for the price of a house lol). Were praying that filling out the special needs card and talking to the head maitre de the 1st night will be as good. Im hoping!!! I can only have fresh fruit, veggies (no can) cept potatoes n corn, fresh meat n fish, aged cheese, eggs, nuts, spices to taste. Cant have sugar of any kind cept pure raw honey (bring my own), grains of any kind, dairy cept pure butter, plain yogurt (for digestion), no preservatives in anything. You believe how sick n how fast i get if i even accidently mess this up, even just a little unknowingly. Going away for 2 weeks and trusting others with my food is down right scarey, i eat very little every day as it is, :(

I was a little disappointed, when we recently contacted the "special needs" dept. at X, about our upcoming cruise on Summit. For years, I have done my best to avoid over-salted food on cruise ships -- not an easy task. But, despite my best efforts, I returned from my Feb. cruise on Century with swollen ankles and fingers, and a significantly elevated blood pressure. :eek: My doctor wants me on a low-sodium diet from now on -- at home, and on vacation.

When the X computer system was down (couldn't access the special needs form), we called the Captain's Club, who connected us to"special needs". The rep there said that they don't order special low-sodium diets, and the issue needed to be addressed to my waitstaff, once onboard. I'm not too hopeful, as even the items marked as "healthy" on the Century menu were over-salted, when I got them. :confused: Aside from talking to the maitre'd, when we're onboard, does anyone have any ideas, on this one?