Directions from upstate NY to Manhattan pier

Becky

Google maps offers two options:

1. I-87S, I-287E, Palisades Pkwy S, GWB, Exit 1C for I-87, I-278W-exit toward 31st street, keep right on 29th street, etc. on to pier

2. I-787S, I-90, Taconic Pkwy, Sprain Brook Pkwy S, keep L on Bronx River Pkwy S, Exit 5 E 177 St, 895 -Sheridan Expy S, 278 -Bruckner Expy W, 29th Street, etc. on to pier

I've only been to the pier once and we went through NJ and used the Lincoln Tunnel, do either of these routes use the Lincoln Tunnel?

Route 1 is estimated to be 15 minutes quicker.

I read on a previous post that from the upper bridge take the first exit on the right and from the bottom bridge take the first exit on the left. I don't know how to choose top or bottom as I've been across twice in my life and just went with the flow (scared to death).

Any advise as far as either route or help crossing the GWB would be greatly appreciated. We will be driving in on New Years Day.

Google maps offers two options:

1. I-87S, I-287E, Palisades Pkwy S, GWB, Exit 1C for I-87, I-278W-exit toward 31st street, keep right on 29th street, etc. on to pier

2. I-787S, I-90, Taconic Pkwy, Sprain Brook Pkwy S, keep L on Bronx River Pkwy S, Exit 5 E 177 St, 895 -Sheridan Expy S, 278 -Bruckner Expy W, 29th Street, etc. on to pier

I've only been to the pier once and we went through NJ and used the Lincoln Tunnel, do either of these routes use the Lincoln Tunnel?

Route 1 is estimated to be 15 minutes quicker.

I read on a previous post that from the upper bridge take the first exit on the right and from the bottom bridge take the first exit on the left. I don't know how to choose top or bottom as I've been across twice in my life and just went with the flow (scared to death).

Any advise as far as either route or help crossing the GWB would be greatly appreciated. We will be driving in on New Years Day.

i'd go with option 1. it is very easy. just follow I-87 (NY Thruway) south into I-287 East (Tappan Zee bridge/New York City) to exit 13 (Palisades Parkway) south. coming from the palisades parkway you can only get on to the upper level. just stay in the 2nd to furthest right lane as you go over the bridge and keep following the signs for Route 9A (H. Hudson Parkway) South. as you approach the end of the parkway stay in the right lane and you will see the signs for the port entrance.

Sounds like you are coming from the Albany area.

There should be no traffic issues on New Year's morning.

I don't like either set of google maps directions for the New York City piece of the trip. Your objective should be to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway to go down the west side of Manhattan directly to the pier.

If you come across the GW Bridge, the directions you posted are correct. It doesn't matter which level you are on, it only matters that you get into either the left or right lane so you can exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway.

Others will have to give you detailed directions if you come down the east side of the Hudson. IMO you should look at getting off the Sprain Brook at the Cross County Parkway going west to pickup the Saw Mill River Parkway which becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway at the NYC line. This route has a $4 toll and is the best route to the Manhattan pier from the north.

I suspect you may have entered incorrect information in Google Maps for your destination. There's no way the directions should be mentioning West 29th St, for example.

Try entering "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" as your destination and you'll see (as prior responses have noted) that the final leg of your journey should be taking you south on the Henry Hudson Parkway (9A), which very conveniently ends at the cruise terminal.

You could always take the Thruway all the way to NYC where is turns into the Deegan. Get off at exit for GWB and follow signs for the Henry Hudson South. It is a right hand exit directly before you get on the GWB. Be careful. If you miss it you are in NJ.

NJhorseman - I put in the address of the cruise ship terminal for my destination. It did not find manhattan cruise terminal as a destination. It also did give W 29th street, it was 287-Bruckner Expressway W.

Boo214- you make it sound so easy??

138 East- yes there will be two cars of us coming down from Albany area. One car will be staying in the area after the cruise etc. so we will only be together on the way down. I've traveled Sawmill pkwy before and it was very easy. I would need someone to provide detailed instructions if I was to head that way and to the port. Anyone??

We're from the Albany area and have used both the Thruway and the Taconic to get to the cruise terminal. One advantage of the Taconic is that you don't have to risk traffic jams on the GWB (although, as 138east says, that shouldn't be a problem on New Year's morning). You would take the Taconic all the way into Westchester County; it will become the Sprain Brook Parkway. Take the Sprain Brook to the Cross County Parkway west, then Cross County to the Saw Mill River Parkway south. The Saw Mill will become 9A, the Henry Hudson Parkway; you stay on 9A into Manhattan. Stay to your right and the terminal entrance will have its own exit at 56th Street. The downside to the Taconic route is that in Putnam County, the Taconic is downright adventurous - uphill, then downhill, and very winding. The Thruway to Palisades to GWB is a much tamer route, as long as the bridge cooperates.

NJhorseman - I put in the address of the cruise ship terminal for my destination. It did not find manhattan cruise terminal as a destination. It also did give W 29th street, it was 287-Bruckner Expressway W.

138 East- yes there will be two cars of us coming down from Albany area. One car will be staying in the area after the cruise etc. so we will only be together on the way down. I've traveled Sawmill pkwy before and it was very easy. I would need someone to provide detailed instructions if I was to head that way and to the port. Anyone??

it really is very easy. the only way i'd recommend getting to the saw mill would be to go the same way (I-87 south to I-287 East) except stay on I-287 east and go over the Tappan Zee Bridge. then follow the signs for I-87 south (Saw mill parkway south/new york city) then get off at exit 7a (saw mill parkway south). the saw mill will take you straight down to the port (it will change names to henry hudson pkwy (route 9a) just south of the cross county pkwy). this way is a little longer than the palisades/GW bridge way.

not quite, the Tappan Zee has a toll as well.
Not if you cross the river at Albany and drive down the Taconic. No tolls for the Patroon Island Bridge. And if you use any of the New York State Bridge Authority bridges, they have fairly minimal tolls.

I didn't suggest using "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" as your destination address in Google Maps without checking it first myself to see if it works. Believe me, it does( as would using 711 12th Ave).

No way you should be on the Bruckner Expressway, or West 29th St. (neither of which are near each other or near the cruise terminal...well West 29th St. and 12th Ave. is only about a mile away, but still not anything you should be driving near.)

Not if you cross the river at Albany and drive down the Taconic. No tolls for the Patroon Island Bridge. And if you use any of the New York State Bridge Authority bridges, they have fairly minimal tolls.

fair point. however, having driven on the taconic, it would not be my first choice.

I suspect you may have entered incorrect information in Google Maps for your destination. There's no way the directions should be mentioning West 29th St, for example.

Try entering "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" as your destination and you'll see (as prior responses have noted) that the final leg of your journey should be taking you south on the Henry Hudson Parkway (9A), which very conveniently ends at the cruise terminal.

Since you live to correct other's mistakes, the official name is NYC Passenger Ship Terminal. I'm surprised you didn't know this because you are an expert about everything. Have a lovely day.

I didn't suggest using "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" as your destination address in Google Maps without checking it first myself to see if it works. Believe me, it does( as would using 711 12th Ave).

No way you should be on the Bruckner Expressway, or West 29th St. (neither of which are near each other or near the cruise terminal...well West 29th St. and 12th Ave. is only about a mile away, but still not anything you should be driving near.)

you can also put in 12th avenue and west 55th street, new york, ny as the port entrance is at this intersection.

I did put in the destination address that was provided in my cruise documents, which was 711 12 ave. manhattan., but now that I look closer it has me ending in Astoria.

I changed my destination to New York City Passenger Ship Terminal and it has me on saw mill parkway/henry hudson parkway 9A, continue to 12th ave. with destination on the right. WOW!! this is totally different!!! :eek: and seems rather simple. So what is the bridge name that I will cross on 9A it says Henry Hudson? Thanks all, as this could have been disastrous!:(

I did put in the destination address that was provided in my cruise documents, which was 711 12 ave. manhattan., but now that I look closer it has me ending in Astoria.

I changed my destination to New York City Passenger Ship Terminal and it has me on saw mill parkway/henry hudson parkway 9A, continue to 12th ave. with destination on the right. WOW!! this is totally different!!! :eek: and seems rather simple. So what is the bridge name that I will cross on 9A it says Henry Hudson? Thanks all, as this could have been disastrous!:(

thats it. its called the henry hudson bridge. it has a toll but its only $2 i think. like i said you could also try putting in 12th avenue and west 55th street, new york, ny as the entrance to the port is at this intersection.

The Henry Hudson Bridge toll is $4.00. I think it's worth every penny to avoid the Intersection of I87 and I95 (Major Deegan and Cross Bronx), which is can be a real mess due to construction and crazy drivers. The Henry Hudson Parkway is cars only which makes it very manageable for folks not used to driving in NYC.

Since you live to correct other's mistakes, the official name is NYC Passenger Ship Terminal. I'm surprised you didn't know this because you are an expert about everything. Have a lovely day.

If you weren't a continuous source of misinformation I wouldn't be constantly having to correct you. I want posters to get the best possible answers. You apparently don't care or don't know the difference.

The correct name for the cruise terminal is now the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, as I stated . Check out their website: http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/ . Note this paragraph header: Manhattan Cruise Terminal Overview. Note this from the descriptive material: "...The upgrades at Manhattan Cruise Terminal allow Pier 88 and Pier 90 to serve the world’s biggest ships... ", and " The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is one of the most modern facilities. "

Further for purposes of getting driving directions from Google Maps, entering "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" produces the proper results. If you try entering "NY Passenger Ship Terminal" Google Maps actually corrects your entry and converts it to "Manhattan Cruise Terminal".

If you weren't a continuous source of misinformation I wouldn't be constantly having to correct you. I want posters to get the best possible answers. You apparently don't care or don't know the difference.

The correct name for the cruise terminal is now the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, as I stated . Check out their website: http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/ . Note this paragraph header: Manhattan Cruise Terminal Overview. Note this from the descriptive material: "...The upgrades at Manhattan Cruise Terminal allow Pier 88 and Pier 90 to serve the world’s biggest ships... ", and " The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is one of the most modern facilities. "

Further for purposes of getting driving directions from Google Maps, entering "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" produces the proper results. If you try entering "NY Passenger Ship Terminal" Google Maps actually corrects your entry and converts it to "Manhattan Cruise Terminal".

Continuous source of misinformation? Hahaha. Yes only when my opinion differs with yours. Do yourself a favor block me and you won't have to be the Got2Cruise police.

Edited by Got2Cruise