Reflection - Party Band "Vibes" what is Celebrity thinking!!

bandp407

My husband and I both have eclectic tastes in music and enjoy most offerings that are professionally performed, Celebrity over the years have been in a downward spiral as to standards of entertainers, can it be that hard to find good quality musicians and entertainers to come on board?

One of our favourite music spots was always the classical quartet which was great to listen to with a drink pre or post dinner. I know this may not be to everyones taste but the music is not offensive and easy to listen to by most guests wishing to relax and felt a bit special, I would be very sorry if they were to disappear.

DJ's definitely not my thing, neither are Acapella singers. I do enjoy the guitarist playing evenings in the Sunset Bar though some of these are better than others and a good singer/piano player can be worth their weight in gold.

So many of us are basically saying the same thing - we enjoyed & miss the good live music onboard Celebrity & now even perhaps on RCCL ships - especially the Filipino bands who played a great mix of both listening and dance music!!! We miss the upbeat musicians who played during the sail away parties and around the ship throughout the cruise. Hopefully Celebrity's & RCCL's entertainment heads will listen to our comments and give us back the things that keep so many of coming back!! We sail the Silhouette in April & the Oasis end of July - my fingers are crossed for a return of the great music we remember! Happy 2014 & Happy Cruising!

Regarding the music, it seems to me it really varies ship to ship and cruise to cruise. In more than 25 X cruises have had some really great music and some that is really lacking. We did an after Thanksgiving cruise a couple years ago from SJU and most of the music was Latin - never mind that more than half the passengers were not. It was good, but too much of one thing! Did not know acappella groups were a thing of the past -we had one on our September sailing. Thought the rest of the music on that cruise was very nice as well.

I agree about the acappella comment...I have heard some very good ones lately. As we don't get out that much, one of the benefits of being on a cruise is the exposure to different types of music. While we enjoy some types more than others, listening to other types is part of the broadening experience that travel is know for.

Heck, it was listening to a cover band on a cruise that I discovered Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

One thing to consider is that cruisers musical tastes will change as decades pass...

20 years ago there were many cruisers who loved Big Band music from the 40s & would fill the dance floor. There are few cruiser left from that demographic.

In looking at the music choices from a recent Celebrity cruise, I was concerned--we are late 40s/early 50s couple & love to dance to top 40 tunes from the 80s-today (with the occasional 60s & 70s tunes). We aren't particularly interested in string quartets or big band music. I was concerned I might not find music to fit our tastes.

BUT looking at the You Tube video of Vibes, and they look like just our taste! Hoping to find a similar band on the Constellation.

BUT I realize that there are many musical tastes & Celebrity needs to be sure their selection reflects that. Additionally, as cruisers age, music needs to reflect the generations--my parents in their late 60s love 50s-70s tunes, but are not averse to more current pop as well. Country is more popular than ever--is that genre reflected in the music choices?

No sure how often they change the party bands or really how to find out which one is playing on which ship. We were expecting Kenosis( which we heard was pretty good) on our Dec 14th Reflection sailing but Vibes started their contract that day. In any case so many of us book far out and rely on a continuation of the quality we have come to expect of Celebrity & RCCL

One thing to consider is that cruisers musical tastes will change as decades pass...

20 years ago there were many cruisers who loved Big Band music from the 40s & would fill the dance floor. There are few cruiser left from that demographic.

In looking at the music choices from a recent Celebrity cruise, I was concerned--we are late 40s/early 50s couple & love to dance to top 40 tunes from the 80s-today (with the occasional 60s & 70s tunes). We aren't particularly interested in string quartets or big band music. I was concerned I might not find music to fit our tastes.

BUT looking at the You Tube video of Vibes, and they look like just our taste! Hoping to find a similar band on the Constellation.

BUT I realize that there are many musical tastes & Celebrity needs to be sure their selection reflects that. Additionally, as cruisers age, music needs to reflect the generations--my parents in their late 60s love 50s-70s tunes, but are not averse to more current pop as well. Country is more popular than ever--is that genre reflected in the music choices?

I agree with your comment about musical tastes changing.

I'm early fifties and much prefer today's music. If the video that I just watched of Vibes is indeed the music that they play then that works for me. I will be sure to check out the different music venues this time on the Reflection. I did not have an issue back in March. Did not have an issue with the volume either.

I agree with your comment about musical tastes changing.

I'm early fifties and much prefer today's music. If the video that I just watched of Vibes is indeed the music that they play then that works for me. I will be sure to check out the different music venues this time on the Reflection. I did not have an issue back in March. Did not have an issue with the volume either.

I agree

Vibes sounded good to me

Love all music from string quartets to rock bands!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When Vibes played in the atrium before dinner, it was hard to get close to the railing up above to watch.....and more than once, the crowd chanted for more when they wanted to quit....just my observation...I've witnessed a lot worse...that's for sure

We're in our 50's and boarding Reflection 2 weeks from today. Can you post (or re-post) the video you reference?

Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Completely agree that music tastes differ among passengers and that on some cruises you'll get great musical groups and on others perhaps not so much. However, I've been sailing Celebrity ships for 20 years. There has always been some good live musicians on board, even when some weren't so great. Now, it appears that Celebrity is moving away from live musicians altogether (string quartets and a cappella groups are gone or going fleetwide) to more DJs; louder music, including rap and hip hop.

I don't believe it's just some ships have better groups than others. I think as many live musicians are being phased out as possible to save money. DJs are far less expensive. I think they are targeting a much younger demographic that they believe will spend more money on things like spa treatments, overpriced watches, etc.

Yep, I definitely think they are trying to phase out their older passenger demographic. I think it's a risky move but I don't think our opinions really matter. Free drinks only go so far.

Time will tell...

In reading this thread I was upset that the acopella groups and Filipino party bands were gone. We were on the Solstice in 2010 and the Silhouette in Dec 2011 and Sipra was on both. The Les Demerle jazz group was on the Silhouette.

It seems the very large Oasis class, which can front six groups playing at once in different locations, still has some good groups tolerable to us 60ish cruisers. But even they are moving younger faster and faster.

Allure had the traditional Calypso band playing on the pool deck in December.

We can't stand rap. Period.

Yep, I definitely think they are trying to phase out their older passenger demographic. I think it's a risky move but I don't think our opinions really matter. Free drinks only go so far.

Time will tell...

In January of this year we moved from Reflection to Oasis and we were amazed at the greater variety of choice and lower volumes that Oasis offered.

We were very fortunate with the music on board our Constellation cruises that ended Dec 9th . Except for a jazz band that could not keep a dance beat, we had guitarists, a String Trio, and an excellent Filipino party band.

After cruising on Reflection for a couple of months in 2011 and 2012, we decided there was no reason to return for another cruise. Sure it's beautiful, but Reflection is our least favourite ship in the fleet because someone on board has decided to offer a choice of music we don't like at a volume that we can't tolerate.

There are many who are enthralled, but they can have RF. We love M-class and Century. I only hope that the people orchestrating the noise on RF won't get moved around.

In January of this year we moved from Reflection to Oasis and we were amazed at the greater variety of choice and lower volumes that Oasis offered.

We were very fortunate with the music on board our Constellation cruises that ended Dec 9th . Except for a jazz band that could not keep a dance beat, we had guitarists, a String Trio, and an excellent Filipino party band.

After cruising on Reflection for a couple of months in 2011 and 2012, we decided there was no reason to return for another cruise. Sure it's beautiful, but Reflection is our least favourite ship in the fleet because someone on board has decided to offer a choice of music we don't like at a volume that we can't tolerate.

There are many who are enthralled, but they can have RF. We love M-class and Century. I only hope that the people orchestrating the noise on RF won't get moved around.

Oh, how I hope you are right, Cruisenut, but I fear you are going to see this creep into all of the Celebrity ships over the next year. There is definitely a move from live musicians to DJs, louder volume (Reflection isn't the first "loud" S-class ship I've been on in the past 18 months), and what I'll call "alternative" music. I'll be back at the end of January to let everyone know what's happening on Equinox, our favorite S-class ship.

Completely agree that music tastes differ among passengers and that on some cruises you'll get great musical groups and on others perhaps not so much. However, I've been sailing Celebrity ships for 20 years. There has always been some good live musicians on board, even when some weren't so great. Now, it appears that Celebrity is moving away from live musicians altogether (string quartets and a cappella groups are gone or going fleetwide) to more DJs; louder music, including rap and hip hop.

I don't believe it's just some ships have better groups than others. I think as many live musicians are being phased out as possible to save money. DJs are far less expensive. I think they are targeting a much younger demographic that they believe will spend more money on things like spa treatments, overpriced watches, etc.

Time will tell...

Very sad to hear this --- looks like we need to research a new cruise line for us. When we were on the IOS in October the staff told us that RCI and Celebrity were swapping staff to see what works well on the other lines. MY worry is that they will end up with 2 cruise lines that feel the same rather than 2 that cater for different clientele ! :(

Presto ~ I didn't mean any crew on our recent Reflection cruise that moved over from Royal Caribbean. I don't think it's the crew that is the issue. We sail both and have great crew on both lines. I think the music/entertainment is more of a directive from corporate in Miami. Don't give up yet. Let's see how things progress in the next couple of months.

Arno ~ I'm betting that Oasis generates a bunch more revenue to the bottom line than Celebrity ships do. Since Oasis is nearly twice the size of S-Class ships they have a lot more, and a bigger variety of, entertainment venues so it's easier for them to deliver something for everyone. And they didn't pipe in the same loud music all over Oasis that they were doing on Reflection recently which is what really bothered me. You just couldn't escape it.

Time will tell...

Celebrity, for 40+ years, has prided itself on being a classy, refined cruiseline catering to guests of elegance, high-standards and discerning tastes.. The younger "party" crowd passengers were left for lines such as Carnival, Norwegian, etc... Rap is certainly not the signature of "modern luxury" experience..

P I'm betting that Oasis generates a bunch more revenue to the bottom line than Celebrity ships do.

That is very true. The larger ships do contribute more to the bottom line due to various factors. Also, check out the latest earnings on the parent company, RCI, as well as the share price. They are rewarding the shareholders nicely.

And next year, analysts are predicting a 33% increase in earnings over this year.

Presto ~ I didn't mean any crew on our recent Reflection cruise that moved over from Royal Caribbean. I don't think it's the crew that is the issue. We sail both and have great crew on both lines. I think the music/entertainment is more of a directive from corporate in Miami. Don't give up yet. Let's see how things progress in the next couple of months.

Arno ~ I'm betting that Oasis generates a bunch more revenue to the bottom line than Celebrity ships do. Since Oasis is nearly twice the size of S-Class ships they have a lot more, and a bigger variety of, entertainment venues so it's easier for them to deliver something for everyone. And they didn't pipe in the same loud music all over Oasis that they were doing on Reflection recently which is what really bothered me. You just couldn't escape it.

It's been stated by RCI that the two Oasis class ships have the highest % of on board spending of any ships in the fleet. That's the reason that #3 is under construction and rumors of #4 & # 5 being ordered. Larger ships with more space are a given that there will be more offerings of varied entertainment.

What style of music do Vibes play?

Amy Winehouse, Stevie Wonder, The Monkees. I enjoyed Vibes. But they need to add more songs than the same handful they play over and over again.

The band that was awful were the two guys with a Simon and Garfunkle style. They put me to sleep. Not how I expected to start off on a sail a way. I want some Carribean music. No party atmosphere whatsoever. They were so boring!!!

The DJ blares Rave music in the Martini Bar. It felt like a Carnival Cruise after 10:30 in the M Bar. WTH are they thinking? A martini Bar is sophisticated. I'd like to hear a nice mix of The Rat Pack or even a little Austin Powers. Why in the heck would you blare Rave music in there? Move it somewhere else.

Piped in pool music was at a good volume...not blaring like it use to be, and they did do away with the French disco style music. A nice mix of all the eras.

Jazz in the Ensemble lounge

...>>>SNIP<<<...

Jazz in the Ensemble lounge

Then if we book an S ship for 2015 that is where our asses will be glued!!

Rap:eek: Metal:eek: Techno:eek:

Leave that for Carnival. Or maybe in one of the 7 lounge rooms on the Oasis class.

Oasis class draws heavily from around the world - S. America, Europe, Asia, EuroAsia etc.

In large part these are family groups who have enough money to fly to Florida and book suites etc. So they have money and do they spend? Yes!!!!!

We saw one Castillian family in the Promenade on formal night with an attractive mid 20's daughter dressed in a slinky pants outfit. She spent 15 minutes posing with the replica 1936 MB parked in the middle of the Promenade. The photographer took 30 pictures of her draped across the car and everybody was watching. We found out later that they bought most of the 30 pictures as well as maybe more then a hundred other photos.

Real spending here. By 2020 RCI will have 5 Oasis class and 4 Quantum class circling the globe.

Then if we book an S ship for 2015 that is where our asses will be glued!!

Rap:eek: Metal:eek: Techno:eek:

Leave that for Carnival. Or maybe in one of the 7 lounge rooms on the Oasis class.

Oasis class draws heavily from around the world - S. America, Europe, Asia, EuroAsia etc.

In large part these are family groups who have enough money to fly to Florida and book suites etc. So they have money and do they spend? Yes!!!!!

We saw one Castillian family in the Promenade on formal night with an attractive mid 20's daughter dressed in a slinky pants outfit. She spent 15 minutes posing with the replica 1936 MB parked in the middle of the Promenade. The photographer took 30 pictures of her draped across the car and everybody was watching. We found out later that they bought most of the 30 pictures as well as maybe more then a hundred other photos.

Real spending here. By 2020 RCI will have 5 Oasis class and 4 Quantum class circling the globe.

That's where we parked our asses most nights. :) Well, until we tired of the same songs night after night.