Totally Confused please help!

needabreakcanada

Have read over 6 pages of posts and still confused.

We are sailing into St Thomas Feb. 10 2014 along with Emerald Princess apparently.

We are looking for a nice beach, washroom facilities (not port o potty) some good food, drinks and snorkeling off the beach if we have a mind to do that. (we bring our own gear so don't need rental).

I have read about beaches in St. Thomas and St Johns and am now confused. We really want beach time (not just excursion to St John and 1.5 hrs beach).

What is the best option? Help please!!!

Sapphire Beach on the East End of STT is our choice, home to 3 condo resorts and a great beach for swimming or staring at the sapphire-colored water. Also nice island views, some of the best off-the-beach snorkeling, abundant natural shade along the shore, active dive center with rentals, Banana Cabana beach grill with good sandwiches and drinks, and runners taking beach orders for a restaurant in Sapphire Village.

Can't think of a better spot to be when on STT and we've shared it with all of our friends who cruise to STT and normally head to other STT beaches or to Trunk on STJ. You get at least another hour by staying on the East End rather than going to STJ if time is a factor. You never know how many people are going to be at a given beach, but even on large ship days we never found it crowded at Sapphire while renting there the last 2 years.

If you're interested in a resort experience with more amenities and a spa look at the Ritz Carlton down the coast, but the beach isn't as nice as Sapphire.

Good luck! ;)

Edited by blue_water

Getting to St John will take at least 2 hours out of your day. So if you want to maximize your time, you will stay on St Thomas.

As for all your other requests, if you mean you want a bathroom: Sapphire would probably be your best bet. If you need a shower, Coki/Coral World would be a possibility. If you can give up the snorkeling, Magens Bay.

You are so lucky. with Princess you come into Crown Bay. NO need for taxi or $ bus if you want BEACH DAY just walk over to the Water Island Ferry $10/rt. From there walk to the beach. PERFECT DAY!!! We've been blessed to visit most of the carib. islands and this is top on the list. Go early and you'll have the beach to yourself, before the $70+ tours arrive...let me know if it's still as I remember. We're going in 2/2014!!!

Getting confusing again :p

It may help to read the reviews on Sapphire and Water Island and the other choices mentioned on tripadvisor, or it may just prolong the pain. From our experiences Sapphire is in its own category because of what it offers. Some like Water Island because it's close to CB and if you had only 6 or 7 horsing port that might be the best choice for some. But it's not in the same category unfortunately.

Good luck! ;)

Edited by blue_water

I hope we can agree that a day where our big problem is what gorgeous beach to visit is a blessed day:) starting from there you can't go wrong.

We actually Love HoneyMoonBeach on Water I not just b/e of distance but mostly because the views are amazing, it's quiet, the water is clear and little if any waves. We don't like the party COKI style beaches with +chairs and vendors than people but that's us. We've taken the early am ferry and been the only people on the beach for hours. There is a store where you wait for the ferry to get drinks and snacks and we're set for a few hours. Usually after noon/1pm some of the ship excursions start to show up for lunch (1-2 small places to eat-usually not open when we get there)...This trip we won't be at Crown Bay so we'll probably head to Sapphire or Lindquist Beach (even less people) with the $2 bus...

We're so blessed to have so many choices. Good luck and safe travels:)

Sapphire sounds great. We have only snorkeled once and decided we like it - so would love more practice! Hubby really enjoys the beach/water so losing 2 hours travel time would probably not appeal to him.

Will look into the Ritz also, thanks!

The Ritz is THE place to go for a true resort experience with the spa and nice pool, and even a couple hour sail on their cat.

Going to STJ would add the 15 - 20 min ferry ride each way and a 10 - 15 min taxi to and from the beach. So the extra travel time is just over an hour + any time spent waiting for a ferry.

Everyone we've met and most folks posting here - loved their day at Sapphire.

Have fun!

We went to Sapphire in October and whe the beach was lovely, we found the snorkeling to be mediocre but maybe i was in the wrong spot. Looking at the water we were snorkeling to the right. I didn't venture out to the point as it was a little choppy. We are going back to St T in February and I'm thinking of trying Secret Harbor this time.

You are so lucky. with Princess you come into Crown Bay. NO need for taxi or $ bus if you want BEACH DAY just walk over to the Water Island Ferry $10/rt. From there walk to the beach. PERFECT DAY!!! We've been blessed to visit most of the carib. islands and this is top on the list. Go early and you'll have the beach to yourself, before the $70+ tours arrive...let me know if it's still as I remember. We're going in 2/2014!!!

I'm sailing Carnival. Not sure which port we come into How much will a taxi cost to Sapphire Beach?

The Valor SHOULD dock at the West Indian dock, Havensight.

I want to comment on the time it takes to get to St John- you have to consider the time in the taxi to Red Hook, the time waiting for the ferry (leaves at the top of the hour), the 15-20 minutes crossing, time waiting for the taxi to fill up in Cruz Bay and the time to get to the beach. That time will vary, but could be well over an hour one way. Again, it all depends how someone want to spend their few hours. :)

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone use the term "so lucky" to be docking at Crown Bay. I typically view it as an inconvenience at best and a pain in the a$$ at worst.

CB is ideal for caribtravel who enjoys Water Island via ferry. Or for someone else content with Lindbergh Bay whether for the cheaper taxi or because they're taking an excursion and have only a couple hours to enjoy a beach. We're partial to the East End, and we also like being able to walk to the dock from the PP tram, so we obviously prefer Havensight.

Everyone has different experiences and insights! :)

Not to say there can't be delays, but the ferry times are very reliable and I wouldn't expect the travel time to STJ to be "well over an hour one way". The travel time to RH or Sapphire is about the same and so don't include that in this discussion.

Unless you have unusual delays getting to Red Hook, ferry wait time at RH should be minimal. And you would obviously know exactly how long you are going to wait on the return by what time you decide to get back to the ferry dock at Cruz.

Edited by blue_water

CB is ideal for caribtravel who enjoys Water Island via ferry. Or for someone else content with Lindbergh Bay whether for the cheaper taxi or because they're taking an excursion and have only a couple hours to enjoy a beach. We're partial to the East End, and we also like being able to walk to the dock from the PP tram, so we obviously prefer Havensight.

Everyone has different experiences and insights! :)

Not to say there can't be delays, but the ferry times are very reliable and I wouldn't expect the travel time to STJ to be "well over an hour one way". The travel time to RH or Sapphire is about the same and so don't include that in this discussion.

Unless you have unusual delays getting to Red Hook, ferry wait time at RH should be minimal. And you would obviously know exactly how long you are going to wait on the return by what time you decide to get back to the ferry dock at Cruz.

I know and I gave mine.;)