Sticky for World Cruise Blogs

baroness51

Last year there was a very handy sticky with links to various world cruise blogs. Any chance of getting one this year? It was great.

Yes I think it would be an excellent idea, as it is only temporary and can be taken down again. Maybe it can replace the "commonly used acronyms" which apply to all boards not just HAL.

And no -- I am not trying to be mean.

Other boards have World Cruisers but not sticky is made just for them.

These world cruisers post often enough that their thread pops up all the time.

JMO

HAL seems to have more people who do world cruise blogs than most (maybe all?) other cruise lines.

They just got rid of several stickies, then went ahead and replaced almost as many. :rolleyes: We're back to three hits of the page down key to get past them. :mad:

If the decision is made to make a world cruise sticky, then two others should be removed. I agree with startwin that the acronyms thread is a good place to start.

But if people want to keep the threads handy, then they can easily be put in favorites and be done with it.

Personally, I feel that only forum-related posts should be stickied. That would leave ONLY the acronyms and difficult posts threads stickied.

I agree that the world cruise bloggers threads generally stay in the top 2 pages due to frequent posts. It is also really easy to either subscribe to those threads, or the blogs themselves, or save them as favorites in your browser.

That said, IF a world cruise sticky is created I would suggest that the post for Jeff's blog be converted to a world cruisers sticky (temporarily for the duration of the cruise only). Since Jeff is going to be on the world cruise he wouldn't need his own sticky.

They just got rid of several stickies, then went ahead and replaced almost as many. :rolleyes: We're back to three hits of the page down key to get past them. :mad:

If the decision is made to make a world cruise sticky, then two others should be removed. I agree with startwin that the acronyms thread is a good place to start.

But if people want to keep the threads handy, then they can easily be put in favorites and be done with it.

I had forgotten that Jeff's cruise blog is a sticky - the mods could take that one and the acronyms one and we'd still be ahead if they switched them out for one world cruise sticky - which could removed at the end of the world cruise.:D

-but what makes reading the blogs most difficult is all the inane comments posted. Sometimes I think folks are just trying to get their post counts up, as they have nothing to contribute but "bon voyage" or "enjoy your blog".

Whether the blogs are stickies or not, doesn't matter, as we will read them anyway. It would be easier to read them as fairly straight reports, rather than having 10 or so comments by others between each actual report. (Hint! Hint! )

That is what I like about Jeff's format - just the reports and the wonderful pictures.

The winter mornings will be fun. There are about 5 five blogs to read and it will be interesting to contrast the differing reports.

-but what makes reading the blogs most difficult is all the inane comments posted. Sometimes I think folks are just trying to get their post counts up, as they have nothing to contribute but "bon voyage" or "enjoy your blog".

You can filter the posts in a thread so that you read only the posts of the single person you want.

On the main HAL page, find the thread you want to read. Over on the right side is a column noting the number of replies to that thread; click on it (all of a sudden I can't remember if it's right click, or left). That will bring up a box listing the various posters, ranked by most posts, and the number of posts they have in that thread. Click on the number for the person you want to read (again, can't remember if it's right or left), and the list of only their posts will appear.

You can then read each post, one at a time.

You can filter the posts in a thread so that you read only the posts of the single person you want.

On the main HAL page, find the thread you want to read. Over on the right side is a column noting the number of replies to that thread; click on it (all of a sudden I can't remember if it's right click, or left). That will bring up a box listing the various posters, ranked by most posts, and the number of posts they have in that thread. Click on the number for the person you want to read (again, can't remember if it's right or left), and the list of only their posts will appear.

You can then read each post, one at a time.

Yet another thing I've learned from Ruth. I never knew that.:o

I try not to post on such threads until the voyage is over. It is nice for the OP to know that his thread is appreciated, but the number of views is a good indication of interest.

I use the find function of my browser to jump down the page to the OP's user name and his/her new posts. This method also finds other mentions of his/her name, but the next mention is just a click away.

That's what we do!