Cruising Alone...Yikes!

mallory77

I absolutely love cruising. Been only about 5 times, so far. I've always had my partner to travel with, but looks like I may be cruising solo in the future. I'm very independent, but travelling so far away, for a week, sounds a little frightening. Not to mention, I don't like the higher prices just because I'll be one. Any suggestions to make this situation more enticing and less scary?:confused:

Have you already booked? Carnival is running some really great deals right now on solo cruising without the additional fee they normally charge.

I do not think cruising solo would slow me down much. Don't get me wrong I would miss my family cruising, but I would still go and enjoy it solo.

Edited by asalligo

No, I haven't booked anything. I'm too hesitant to make that commitment just yet. I prefer to cruise in April, so I would still have lots of time to make decisions. I just looked at Carnival, for April, and I don't see the deals you're describing. Maybe they are just for now?

I have been solo on two of my past cruises and will be again in Jan! I actually love cruising solo! I have the cabin/balcony to myself and can do what I want, when I want. For dinner in the main dining room, they put me with other solo's. In the buffet, no problem for me! Nobody else cares if they see someone eating alone! In fact, I always see some other people eating alone.

Nothing to be scared of! Just have a great time!

People tend to be very friendly on a cruise and it is easy to strike up a conversation. Another good thing to do is join the roll call for your cruise. You will "meet" others on your cruise so that even though you are traveling solo you already know people and are not alone. The single supplement is the biggest downside as far as I am concerned. As mentioned above, sometimes cruise lines will reduce or even eliminate single supplements on certain sailings. If you are flexible in regards to scheduling you might be able to take advantage of these specials.

I am going solo on my next cruise (and it is 118 nights) and am looking forward to having a cabin to myself and being able to do what I want when (or if) I want.

I absolutely love cruising. Been only about 5 times, so far. I've always had my partner to travel with, but looks like I may be cruising solo in the future. I'm very independent, but travelling so far away, for a week, sounds a little frightening. Not to mention, I don't like the higher prices just because I'll be one. Any suggestions to make this situation more enticing and less scary?:confused:

I ended up a solo once due to unforeseen circumstances. It actually wasn't too bad. The culture just breeds starting up impromptu conversations, and some last to longer acquaintances.

No, I haven't booked anything. I'm too hesitant to make that commitment just yet. I prefer to cruise in April, so I would still have lots of time to make decisions. I just looked at Carnival, for April, and I don't see the deals you're describing. Maybe they are just for now?

Most of my Cruises are Solo..........

I like doing BTBs & BTBTBs.........

Good morning:).....this particular forum is really good and most everyone

is very helpful.

Scroll down the page and you will find lots of threads about solo cruising.

I have been sailing solo since May 2003 and have taken about 40

cruises. All of them but 2 were on my own. After the 2nd one I

realized I love and value my own space too much to give it up again.

Priorities, it is all about priorities. I have lived on my own for almost

my entire life (adult life anyway) and having my own cabin? Well,

I don't even share a clicker here at home;) so sharing a cabin? No

thanks:) Doing what I want, when I want, or don't want? I answer

to one person......ME:D

As for the cruise part? Most cruisers are very friendly and it really is

easy to meet other people on the ship and it seems many times

you see the same people too.

If you want to participate in activities, you may, if you just want to

find a lounger.....read a book, have a drink, you may.......on a cruise

you can do what you enjoy. Oh, and they love to pamper you too.....

how good is that.......someone is making my bed, pouring my drink,

ahhhhh..............

And you can also see new places......there are many, many ports,

cities and countries I have visited and would not have ever happened

for me if I wasn't on a cruise. It is all good!

If you have any questions, continue to ask them....Oh there is a roll

call forum on this site too and it is a great way to meet other folks

going on the same cruise as you:)

My next cruises are in February.....a short 3 night cruise followed by

an 8 night cruise so will be gone for 11.....now, that is nothing compared

to 118 nights!.....(I AM JEALOUS:))......LOL but it will be great to get

back on a cruiseship, that is for sure!

Edited by Lois R

First off, break down which part(s) is/are scary to you. Dining alone? Going into ports alone? Having sea days with nobody to hang with? Once you break it down, there is a solution to pretty much any scary part.

I just completed my first solo, and I'm totally hooked. I have a group (BF and a bunch of other couples) that I normally cruise with, but I hope I can work in a solo each year now that I've tried one. It was soooooo relaxing it and it was total freedom. I joined my roll call and had a fun meet & greet, and had a few familiar faces to say hi to throughout the cruise. I dined alone because I wanted to enjoy my meal and not have to do the "where are you from" talk. One night I was feeling kinda social, so (on Carnival) I went to a martini event, and made several friends, including a very cool lady from Houston who became my BFF for the night. I guess that's the thing about traveling solo: it's your choice. If you don't want to spend a lot of time alone, you won't have to. Join your roll call, or even just strike up a conversation with someone at a bar or waiting for a show to start, or choose a set-time dining with others, and you'll have peeps to hang with. Or, if you're feeling like having me-time, you can take a book to the Lido deck and relax all day long.

If you're very independent as you say, I think you'll have an awesome time and become hooked to solo cruising like a lot of other people. :D

Good luck, and keep us posted!

I agree with Howard. My first solo was on the Epic. They got it right, with the studio lounge and dedicated solo cruise director. And the folk you meet in the studio lounge are just like you....most not looking for a love connection. The only thing I dislike is if/when I have to eat dinner by myself. That actually hasn't happened yet, so I guess I've been lucky. I'm soloing on the RCCL Serenade in February, and I'm a little apprehensive about dinner. As for price, yes, it's a challenge to score a low single supplement, so my backup is the Epic or Breakaway since paying 150% for a NCL studio seems relatively fair. Good luck!

I have done several solo cruises. It was a little scary the first time for about 5 minutes! People are friendly, you can do what you want when you want to do it. I love having a balcony room to enjoy (don't enjoy paying the single supplement, but oh well.) I can't wait to do it again!:p

What is it that you find scary? Being away from home? Dining alone? Personal safety/security? Without knowing what you're worried about, it's hard to come up with some suggestions.

I have traveled alone extensively (including 2 weeks each to Spain and Portugal, and a 2 week road trip through the US), and I find dining solo the most difficult - so I'm glad on a cruise ship to have a large table at a set dining time with regular table mates. Other people prefer dining alone (with a book), but their more difficult challenge is something else entirely.

Thanks! We (some on our roll call) will be doing a "Live" report on the Cunard page starting next week.

I will try to read your Live From accounts......118 days......in

my dreams:p:):D;)

Mallory, You have done it 5 times, whats problem? Have you considered a "Hosted singles cruises"? 2 Agencies do them, monthly, most lines. They supply same sex cabinmate or you can bunk alone at higher cost. They have a section in MDR where you dine as group. Activities, which you may attend or not.Do a search. Usually divided into over/under age 40 groups.

I agree Lois, we can dream about the 118 day world cruises, but until we quit working, that is about all we can do. I would love to do the world cruise on any line, so I am jealous of her as well. Especially when the temp here is -12 with 25 mile an hour winds, any cruise ship sounds good right now.

I have a plan for my world cruise though, I plan on hitting the lottery just before retirement and then it is bon voyage for a long time. I didn't say it was a good plan, but it is still a plan. Neil

Lois and Scrapnana, a world cruise sounds fantastic to me too...maybe when I retire if I keep saving my money for the 15 years until then! The only thing is--I gain SO much weight on a cruise a tenth that long that I'd have to bring clothes in about 4 different sizes for a 118 day cruise! EEK!

Agree with those suggesting the NCL Studio Cabins, though they may not necessarily be the lowest cost available if you had flexibility in your timing. It's the ideal setup for solos. If you go to the daily happy hour in the Studio lounge people often go to dinner in small groups from there.