Century to join CDF Croisieres de France in 2015

Cruising89143

I wonder when Celebrity will put out it's press release? It is pretty obvious that it is common knowledge in the trade. Sad to see her go.

I agree Anne. It's totally amazing that anyone who cares about cruising knows this to be done deal, and yet Celebrity says nothing. IMO, they've completely botched this whole discussion surrounding Century, and should have made it official, at the same time when CDF posted comments elsewhere.

At any rate, I'm glad we are booked for February, so we'll have a chance to say goodbye to a ship that we've had many happy cruise memories over the years.

Edited by Host Andy

Actually the handling of this does not surprise me. RCI botched the announcement of the Monarch when she was leaving the fleet. Reports were already out that the Monarch was moving to Pullmantur. As a matter of fact the Monarch was even listed and shown on Pullmanturs website before RCI finally came forward with an announcement. Business as usual for RCCL. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing.

Edited by cruisingator2

Interesting to me is that it is going to a subsidiary of Pullmantur. The current VP of operations is the former Celebrity Captain Pagonis. I was at his final table as Captain and he remarked that his was excited about his new position and that Pullmantur would be expanding.

Really is ironic that this is the third thread, each with a press release associated with it in the last month and Celebrity still has not made an announcement. Maybe everybody knows it but them.

If Celebrity had thought this out they could have marketed the Century's farewell season. I think with the right promotions and marketing they could have increased fares as demand probably would have been strong.

Given how they transitioned into the new Loyalty program and now the departure of the Century it appears to me that either the Marketing Department has either been ineffective or ignored. In both cases there were missed opportunities to increase sales.

If Celebrity had thought this out they could have marketed the Century's farewell season. I think with the right promotions and marketing they could have increased fares as demand probably would have been strong.

Exactly!! Look at how well, and how quickly, the new Feb. 8-night cruises sold. This was a golden opportunity for them to market this ship and they just did not bother. I wish I understood their thinking.

We hope to be onboard when they hand over the keys in Civitavecchia 2015.

I also can't understand why Celebrity won't announce what most of us already know.

I've had some recent contacts on a number of subjects with people in the Miami office that leads me to conclude that there have been some real changes in attitudes toward passengers. Don't want to discuss in a public forum,but will discuss with you when we cruise together. Have a happy and healthyNew Year.

My TA still hasn't been notified that my April 5, 2015 China/Japan cruise has been cancelled. He called Celebrity today and they told him it isn't cancelled as far as they know. Maybe they just switched us to the Suez Canal sailing without telling me. :D

That's what they did to us.

You can look up your new itinerary on Celebrity's web site.. that's how we found out a week ago.

The Century was our first cruise and it was perfect-hooked us on cruising and we have been on many since, primarily on Celebrity.

Celebrity is hit and miss on their farewells. The Horizon was reportedly a disaster. We were on the final sailing of the Zenith and it was phenomenal. They apparently learned lessons from the Horizon and went all out.

We were also on the last sailing of the Mercury, and had anticipated a great celebration, but it was nothing special. We paid $200 more pp than what we would have on the previous sailing, and it certainly wasn't worth any extra.

So, as much as we loved the Century, we are not anxious to be on the last sailing. As they say, you always remember the first time, and those are the memories we want to cherish.

I think the Feb cruises are going to be very special due to the many cruise critic fans on board, and they will probably be the true farewell cruises. We can't make it, but many of our friends will be on board that month so we will at least say goodbye vicariously.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Given how they transitioned into the new Loyalty program and now the departure of the Century it appears to me that either the Marketing Department has either been ineffective or ignored. In both cases there were missed opportunities to increase sales.

I'm guessing the vast majority of Captain's Club members were just fine with the new loyalty program. It was those who made assumptions that didn't pan out that were disappointed.

As far as the Century, perhaps there are legal reasons Celebrity hasn't announced the sale. Who knows?

I'm guessing the vast majority of Captain's Club members were just fine with the new loyalty program. It was those who made assumptions that didn't pan out that were disappointed.

As far as the Century, perhaps there are legal reasons Celebrity hasn't announced the sale. Who knows?

People should be very pleased with the new program, especially those at the Elite+ and Zenith levels. The benefits are wonderful. In other posts I discussed some marketing opportunities that could have increased future sales and the bottom line. That debate is over and I will not restart it here since it will take this thread way off topic.

Perhaps there are legal reasons, but that's all speculation. However, I doubt it since it was reported in a public media source. Celebrity could always affirm or deny the facts of the story.

My thesis is that both the sale of the Century (no pun intended) and the announcement of a new Loyalty program provided opportunities for new marketing efforts that had potential to increase sales. My comments here are not intended to question the programs, but focus on the marketing potential.

I really hope that my thoughts about a new direction for Celebrity are wrong.Celebrity remains my favorite cruise line.

Edited by Orator

I am normally not a sarcastic or negative person, but my first thought was that the "suits" in Miami don't want to admit that they don't have the creativity to make the delightful Century "work" in the Celebrity fleet.

I think the suits know what to do with the Century which is why she is being transferred. With both the Galaxy and Mercury being moved several years ago the writing has been on the wall for the Century. She actually lasted longer that I thought that she would.

Edited by cruisingator2