Senior women packing help

sublarry

My mother is going on a cruise with me in February. We will be leaving from New Orleans and heading to Progreso and Cozumel. She is fretting about what to take. She is over 70. Can you give me some suggestions so I may help her. She is afraid she will take too much of the wrong thing and not enough of the right thing. She does have her formal night figured out, but she just asked us how many bags my wife takes when we go to the beach.

Maybe help coming from some ladies is better than from her son. Thanks in advance for the help.

For daytime, she will need casual items including a bathing suit and cover up if she intends to get some sun. Otherwise, it's casual tops and lightweight slacks or shorts. On the non formal nights, nice slacks and a top or casual dress is what women wear in the evening. She might want to throw in a sweater or shawl if she gets chilly. Then of course she will need personal items like pajamas and underwear. Don't forget toiletries.

Comfortable shoes are a must, preferably with one pair having slip proof soles. The outside decks can get a bit wet, so you need to be safe about that.

I'm guessing you're on a short cruise? If so, with smart packing, she should be able to get everything in one large suitcase. I once did a 35 day cruise, that had 9 formal nights, and I managed with 2 suitcases. The trick is to pack wisely and mix and match your clothes. I stick to a basic color palate and mix tops and bottoms to make different outfits. People here have a basic saying----put everything you think you'll need in a suitcase and then take half out They say take half the clothes and double the money.

Im 72 going on a 12 day to Panama in Jan. Just started the packing list. This will be our 20 something cruise. We get free laundry with Princess but would do/or have done laundry on another line so we intend to wear the same thing twice or maybe three times.

Ill take

3 pair of bermudas

2 pair black slacks

6 short sleeve tee shirts

sandals, (sneakers if she is a bit unsteady)

dress flats.....one pair black

dress heels

flip flops for the pool

flowy black slacks for formal night

two formal night tops

4 to 5 casual dining tops

bathing suit and coverup

workout wear if she is inclined

shawl if she finds the night time venues cold

associated lingerie and socks

Above all limit the shoes...they are heavy

Its all the other stuff that you want to bring that causes us to take a roll aboard and and 26(I think) suitcase

Invest in a luggage scale so you can be sure that your bags aren't overweight.

The above is a really great list. The only advice I would add is leave the heels at home. I carry a dressy flat and sometimes use a sparkly clip for formal nights. If you feel a lurch or hit rough water on formal night, the heels are a bad choice. I just don't take any chances anymore and my dressy flats look nice. Never carry a new pair of shoes, even sandals. I advised my friend on our last cruise. She wore a new pair and had a blister from day one through the end of the cruise.

That is an excellent list. I am in my late 80s and have cruised for many years and still often take more than I wear. But I have travelled for more than a month with 1 suitcase. Mix and match is the secret. And stick to one or 2 colors that work together.

OP

This sounds like a 4 day cruise??

If so -- very little is needed in the way of clothes. The ladies can wear slacks or shorts all day. Many will wear the same slacks in the evening but with a couple of different tops.

Sandals -- I am past 70 and only wear them when in the cabin or on our verandah. The ladies may not have any use for them on a short cruise.

Good walking shoes is the best along with a nice pair of basic black flats for the evenings.

The above is a really great list. The only advice I would add is leave the heels at home. I carry a dressy flat and sometimes use a sparkly clip for formal nights. If you feel a lurch or hit rough water on formal night, the heels are a bad choice. I just don't take any chances anymore and my dressy flats look nice. Never carry a new pair of shoes, even sandals. I advised my friend on our last cruise. She wore a new pair and had a blister from day one through the end of the cruise.

if she already has her formal wear figured out sounds like she is looking forward to formal night. a pair of heels weigh nothing and take up no space.

Thanks Kylea for the list. She can basically cut it in half. Thanks to all the others for the input. Most of it is what we have told her before. This is a 5 night cruise. My wife and I are very light packers. She typically does not want to go to the dining room so that usually helps.

I can't wait to watch my mom enjoy her first cruise. This will be good bonding time for us.

Very much agree with you -- leave the heels at home!

LuLu

~~~~

I'm 65 and a very heavy packer. But I have a husband who's very strong and is an even heavier packer himself, so he carries or pushes or pulls more than his share, and I figure everything I carry is just a little more exercise that couldn't hurt.

But reminder your mom that

She has to carry, pack, unpack, repack and then carry her stuff at least a little bit; and I'm sure she doesn't want to be a burden to you. Maybe describe to her what picking up your bags after the cruise is like.

Storage space may be limited in a cabin

She's probably never going to see these people again so she can wear the same thing twice.

Sometimes if the sea is rough on formal night - you can't wear heels easily so even if she brings them, she should be prepared with some nice low heels

You mentioned that she asked "but she just asked us how many bags my wife takes when we go to the beach" so please tell her that it's a bit of a walk to get to any beach even if you are going on a tour where they drive you. AND if you are tendering, there's getting onto the tender which is not easy if you're carrying a lot of ... stuff (I was going to say junk).

I don't normally carry a backpack. I think they are unseemly on a woman of a certain age ... UNLESS you're hiking or on a cruise. A day pack to me is invaluable, because I can carry my beach things with me and still have two hands to hold onto hand rails etc.

But for a day at the beach I just take a towel if they aren't provided on shore, my kindle, my water shoes, my own face mask, suntan lotion, chap stick, an extra dry coverup and dry underwear, and a plastic baggie for some cash. It fits very easily in a small day pack.

My mother is going on a cruise with me in February. We will be leaving from New Orleans and heading to Progreso and Cozumel. She is fretting about what to take. She is over 70. Can you give me some suggestions so I may help her. She is afraid she will take too much of the wrong thing and not enough of the right thing. She does have her formal night figured out, but she just asked us how many bags my wife takes when we go to the beach.

Maybe help coming from some ladies is better than from her son. Thanks in advance for the help.

• One "elegant" night on that cruise, which can be satisfied with slacks and a dressy-ish top; the rest of the time, khakis or black slacks with a nice top [No law says you cannot repeat a top! I "reuse" tops, but change out the jewelry, which is easier to pack!]
  • 2 pairs of shorts and/or capris for day time
  • a jacket/wrap for evenings [it gets cool at the shows or on deck sometimes]
  • comfy shoes for walking; one nice pair [i vote with leaving the heels at home!] for evening; sandals or flip flops
  • 2 bathing suits if she is a water person [and if she is, I highly recommend Nachi Cocum in Cozumel] and a cover up
  • t-shirts/tops for each day
  • hat or visor
  • A basic first aid kit and regular meds [2-3 days extra, just in case]

Have fun!

I am 66.........

Sparkly tops and fancy capris for evenings.

My FAV item is Tennis Skorts! (Golf skorts are longer and usually cotton)

I got so tired of boring, usually wrinkled, shorts.......and after checking out fellow passengers that looked so nice - I saw the light!

I have found brand names (Addidas, Nike, etc.) on ebay for a fraction of the cost of sporting good stores.

The knit, all-in-one Skorts, stay looking nice, comfy in humid weather, and I feel a little more "dressed" scooting around the ship during the day.

They can be hand washed and dry FAST! I even went swimming in one when we happened upon an un-planned beach stop.

I use 1 pair of dressy black slacks and interchange tops for formal nights.

No heels, just black flats. Two bathing suits and one coverup. Four shorts or capris with matching tops. What you do really need is sweaters or light weight jacket almost eveynight. It's breezy on deck and many of the diningrooms and theaters are vey cold.

Couple pair of sandals, one you can get wet for the beach.

Camera/kindle/ipad/travel size toiletries, a few favorite candy bars