samba grill questions

ddsdoc

leaving on 1/19 allure cruise and have a question about samba's.....i'm a big meat eater but DW not particularly so inclined...will there be other items (such as salads, perhaps) that she will be able to choose from if we decide to go there???? or is it strictly carnivore city???

leaving on 1/19 allure cruise and have a question about samba's.....i'm a big meat eater but DW not particularly so inclined...will there be other items (such as salads, perhaps) that she will be able to choose from if we decide to go there???? or is it strictly carnivore city???

Here's a typical menu:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/sambagrill.pdf

Edited by clarea

we were there in October. Tons of things to eat. the reason i am posting this response, is to encourage you to take the dancing lesson from the woman there. I hope its the same one. I am a woman, but the was one of the most BEAUTIFUL women my husband and I have ever seen. She was also very nice. Go hungry!!

I think your wife will find plenty and hopefully you will find it an enjoyable experience. My only advise, don't reserve a spot about an hour before sunset when the ship is sailing west bound. It can be blinding up there for quite a few seats.

we were there in October. Tons of things to eat. the reason i am posting this response, is to encourage you to take the dancing lesson from the woman there. I hope its the same one. I am a woman, but the was one of the most BEAUTIFUL women my husband and I have ever seen. She was also very nice. Go hungry!!

That's new, our dancer in '11 just danced and left. Sounds like fun. (We didn't go this past May.)

There was no dancer on my Oct 2013 cruise in the Allure both times we ate in the Samba Grill. The reason we ate their twice is because it was that good.

I much preferred it over Chops as the meat has much more flavor than a simple steak. Plus you can eat many different meats without having to choose.

For non-carnivores, there is plenty of food to eat. You will not go hungry.

Our roll call for this sailing is below. Stop in and say 'hi'. I know a few others have previously sailed on Allure and may provide input as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1797573

DH, a friend, and I dined at Samba Grill on Allure of the Seas back in 2011. DH is a "pescetarian" (vegetarian + seafood). We let the people at Samba Grill know that. They cooked a salmon fillet just for him. He said that it was very good.

I don't know whether they'd do that these days, but they were definitely accommodating back then.

Here are a few photos from Samba's Salad and Appetizer Bar from a cruise in 2011. It was the same in 2012. I love the chilled, boiled shrimp already peeled for me!

DSCN1700.jpg

DSCN1701.jpg

DSCN1702.jpg

DSCN1704.jpg

DSCN1706.jpg

DSCN1707.jpg

They also have some small Cheese Rolls, served warm to your table shortly after you arrive. They are Fantastic!

In all honesty I found the meats to be very poor all dried out and reheated the only good part of our meal was the salad and appetizers bar so I won't be surprised if she enjoys the meal more then you. lol

I had the same experience; was my least favorite of all the restaurants on Allure (and I managed to hit every single one). Was all about quantity over quality. Meats seemed to be significantly poorer quality than at Chops and most cuts were woefully overcooked; I did not receive a single piece of proper medium rare. The only moisture and flavor came from the sauces. The buffet was also not much different than what you can find at the Windjammer. I did enjoy the plantains and the cheesy bread, but all but a couple bites of the meat were meh. Had horrible service too, but that can happen anywhere.

I think your wife will find plenty and hopefully you will find it an enjoyable experience. My only advise, don't reserve a spot about an hour before sunset when the ship is sailing west bound. It can be blinding up there for quite a few seats.

Totally off topic, but..

I love your signature about the QUOTE versus REPLY on the numerous photo heavy posts...absolutely drives me crazy!!!

David

I had the same experience; was my least favorite of all the restaurants on Allure (and I managed to hit every single one). Was all about quantity over quality. Meats seemed to be significantly poorer quality than at Chops and most cuts were woefully overcooked; I did not receive a single piece of proper medium rare. The only moisture and flavor came from the sauces. The buffet was also not much different than what you can find at the Windjammer. I did enjoy the plantains and the cheesy bread, but all but a couple bites of the meat were meh. Had horrible service too, but that can happen anywhere.

My experience there was so bad they didn't charge us and we rushed over to MDR to catch our seating time the maître d seen us and called the manager of Samba and balled him out.

Edited by Hstergo

Have your wife tell the waiter to serve her only the grilled lamb chops. They were the best I ever had. She might even want more after having two. Along with appetizer, seafood and salad bars, she should have one of the best meals to be had on the Allure.

We loved the atmosphere but felt the service was a little too chaotic for just a party of two what with the constant flow of big chunks of meat arriving at table for carving periodically. Larger parties seemed to enjoy "the show" much more.

The setting and lighting at night is beautiful. But don't go too early or there will still be sun bathers in the Solarium obscuring your view of the ocean and sun setting. We wanted to make a 7:30 show so we booked at 6 pm. If we could do it again, I'd make this dining experience the entertainment for the evening and go at 8 or 8:30.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed the food and meat selections. It really was all very good. The presentation on the food bars was not your typical buffet arrangement. There was an obvious attempt to make the food appear tempting and fresh. There were lots vegetable combinations, fresh fruits, an olive bar, and other Mediterranean aspects.

My wife and I loved the Lamb Chops but the Filet Mignon and the Turkey were excellent also.

We told our server how we wanted everything cooked and it appeared at the table just right. Even fresh, chilled Mint Jelly for the Lamb Chops.

It our favorite specialty restaurant and we have booked again on the Allure because of Samba's.

Edited by Trainman-2

In all honesty I found the meats to be very poor all dried out and reheated the only good part of our meal was the salad and appetizers bar so I won't be surprised if she enjoys the meal more then you. lol

Easily my least favorite specialty dining spot on the Allure. We tried it on two different cruises. I would rate it a three out of five stars. I thought the meat was tasteless. The best thing were the appetizers.