Walking from Crown Bay to Shopping in Charlotte Amalie

BOAZ5

Google says it's a 35 min. walk. Never been docked there before have always been on the other side of the port. That being said, if you want to go to the Havensight Mall, and you do, it's worth it, your best bet is to take a cab. For the ships that dock in front of the Havensight mall there is a shuttle service to the downtown area and was only a few dollars PP. Hopefuly there is the same setup at the other end.

DH and I always enjoyed the walk between Havensight and downtown Charlotte Amalie. HAL ships then moved to docking at Crown Bay and we stopped walking and now take a jitney taxi.

It is further away by probably 10-15 minutes but we don't feel it is as safe. There are a few sections where there are no sidewalks and several areas that worry me a bit to walk. The taxi is $4 pp and we think worth it.

BOAZ5: It is flat. They have been building a new sidewalk from Crown Bay to the main road (the waterfront), but I don't think it is completely finished. Once you get to the main road, there is sidewalk to town on the south side of the street. It isn't as scenic as the road from Havensight to town and it is a bit farther, but it isn't *so* bad.

Thank you for the input. I assumed we would end up taking a taxi, but I am one that loves to be out walking, so I wanted to hear some first hand experience. THANKS!

I also like to walk. And I really enjoy the walk from Havensight to town since they built the walkway several years ago. However, the walk from Crown Bay is a very different issue. It is longer and there is no nice walkway. When we dock at Crown Bay we end up taking a taxi to town. I just do not enjoy the walk from there.

I was there over a year ago and unless things have changed, wouldn't go on foot. I didn't think it was pedestrian friendly. I love walking but didn't feel it was safe. Taxis are cheap and plentiful. Just MHO.

Edited by hehny

DH and I always enjoyed the walk between Havensight and downtown Charlotte Amalie. HAL ships then moved to docking at Crown Bay and we stopped walking and now take a jitney taxi.

It is further away by probably 10-15 minutes but we don't feel it is as safe. There are a few sections where there are no sidewalks and several areas that worry me a bit to walk. The taxi is $4 pp and we think worth it.

Completely agree with Sail on this one. Take a taxi! ;)

LuLu

~~~~

Did it last year (not intentionally, by the way). It's flat, we felt safe, but it took longer than we thought. It was at least 35 minutes and I walk fairly quickly.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want a good walk.

We have enjoyed the walk from Havensight to Charlotte Amalie, even more now that they built the promenade.

Crown Bay seemed a bit too industrial. I didn't see any side walks. It's not so much the distance but it doesn't look like a lovely walk & I'd be afraid of getting hit by a car.

It has been a while since we were there (1 year) so if there is a sidewalk . . . it's up to you.