Onboard the Marina..headed to Papeete

computerworks

Checking in from the Marina.... it has been a fantastic trip so far.

Our 'fear' of too many sea days was really unfounded...they have been great. plenty to do or not do, as you choose.

The two days in Easter island were fantastic; we toured both days with a Roll Call group of 14 and pretty much saw everything on the island. The hike to the top of the mountain quarry was a challenge, but worth it for sure.

I will post some fine pictures in my trip report.

We have done our dinners at all 4 specialties, as well as the GDR and Terrace Cafe.. never a disappointment. We did the Discovery menu at La Reserve with a great group of table mates... we closed the place well after 11pm.

We also have become groupies of the Cooking Demonstrations in the lounge every few days...not for culinary content, but for entertainment value. What great personalities the chefs have!

Tomorrow is our 2nd sea day en route to Pitcairn Island... we shall see what we can do there. ;-)

Weather has been really perfect so far.

Checking in from the Marina.... it has been a fantastic trip so far.

Our 'fear' of too many sea days was really unfounded...they have been great. plenty to do or not do, as you choose.

The two days in Easter island were fantastic; we toured both days with a Roll Call group of 14 and pretty much saw everything on the island. The hike to the top of the mountain quarry was a challenge, but worth it for sure.

I will post some fine pictures in my trip report.

We have done our dinners at all 4 specialties, as well as the GDR and Terrace Cafe.. never a disappointment. We did the Discovery menu at La Reserve with a great group of table mates... we closed the place well after 11pm.

We also have become groupies of the Cooking Demonstrations in the lounge every few days...not for culinary content, but for entertainment value. What great personalities the chefs have!

Tomorrow is our 2nd sea day en route to Pitcairn Island... we shall see what we can do there. ;-)

Weather has been really perfect so far.

I find the cooking demos with the chefs one of O's better entertainment shows and you get the recipes too.

Not very likely (until they move to the new harbor) but hope springs eternal....

We have a passenger who is a resident of Pitcairn who is using this cruise to return home.

She boarded in Valparaiso and will disembark there.

As well...2 more pax are getting off to stay two months on the island.

That bodes well for us in at least a full hearted attempt to transfer folk. :cool:

Well..it's a no-go. Weather is perfect but the seas have sufficient chop to make tendering impossible.

The longboat from the island just hooked up with what looks like every soul from shore....they are here to empty the boutique ( :p ) and set up a marketplace in Horizons.

1526595_10203373905979153_1373772550_n.jpg

Edited by computerworks

Well..it's a no-go. Weather is perfect but the seas have sufficient chop to make tendering impossible.

The longboat from the island just hooked up with what looks like every soul from shore....they are here to empty the boutique ( :p ) and set up a marketplace in Horizons.

That was our experience as well.

Most everyone enjoyed the merchandise offered by the locals and it was fun meeting some of them and finding out more about their unique way of life on the island.

We also had a most interesting lecture by a young lady who grew up in Pitcairn, got her advanced degree in NZ and returned to the island. She was able to project things from a unique point of view - hopefully you will get to meet her or someone else. We also enjoyed the commentary of a local official as we circumnavigated the island before leaving; he pointed out the place for the new port that will be more accessible to cruise ships.

Hey Ron!

Thanks for posting these great pics! Met you and your wife on Caribbean Hideaways last year.....that was a nice meet and greet! Why couldn't you guys get ferried in by the Longboats...? If its good enough for them....heh heh...

Looks like your weather is so gorgeous. Hope you take some pics at the marketplace!

Cheers - Terry

Enjoying your posts very much. Too bad about missing Pitcairn. The pictures are also very nice.

I also took a look back at your blog and pics from the Riviera cruise. A couple of questions as we will be on Riviera in 2 weeks.

We are in a concierge room on 9 like you were. I know that gives access to the spa terrace. Are the sauna and steamroom included or is there an extra charge for them? My husband likes to sweat.

I spent 20 minutes on hold today trying to reserve the beverage package, and finally gave up. Where and when do you sign up for that once on board?

Thanks for the quick reply! A bit annoyed about the on hold for 20 min thing. Not a good first impression for customer service.

Don't let it upset you too much.

That and shorex/entertainment are not O's strong points but the overall onboard experience makes up for all of these shortcomings very nicely :)

The first 2 can be easily remedied (TA to avoid phone holds and private tours to maximize your shorex experience). The entertainment is not bad at all IMO - just not spectacular.

Chatting with 10 yr old Emily from Pitcairn Island, who came onboard to visit.

She has never been off the island before...and visited a cruise ship for the first time. She will leave the island in a few years to attend high school in New Zealand.

1509007_10203376780531015_1739857409_n.jpg

Two sea days ahead as we set sail for Fakarava.

Midday today, the Captain lifted anchor and took a slow cruise completely around Pitcairn, as the mayor of Pitcairn narrated the tour. Bounty Bay, Fletcher Christian's cave and the totally unspoiled vistas around the island.

I have two days to test my diving gear in the pool. ;)

Computerworks, I'm enjoying your pictures also. I can almost visualize sitting there at the Terrace Cafe. Just over three weeks and we will be out of this cold and sipping a glass of wine on the terrace also.

Linda

And we will be sitting at the next table. :D