Does any of the cruise lines still have steel drum music vs a DJ?

Cruisefriends

I have been on 5 Carnival Cruises and the the last two have only had DJ's playing. I really miss those live Carribean Bands.

On NCL's Star in October for ta and Panama Canal cruise the music group Xcite from Trinidad & Tobago had a four member group. One played steel drum. That group was excellent. I listened to them wherever they were playing on the ship.

Edited by NMLady

Celebrity had one guy playing a steel drum on Reflection last January and Summit this past September.:)

This past weekend Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas had a live band at the pool but no steel drums. And I was very disappointed to hear steel drums on Coco Cay and find an empty stool on stage with an ipod.:(

Royal Caribbean still has a 4-piece Caribbean band. Not always real steel drums, but often a keyboard that can synthesize this sound and others.

Do they have them on all their ships? We will be on Navigator in February.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have been on 5 Carnival Cruises and the the last two have only had DJ's playing. I really miss those live Carribean Bands.

Holland America ships have the HALCats: Keyboard, drums, sax, guitar and vocalist doing daily sets by the Lido pool and special events in the evenings.

Our last couple of HAL cruises have also had a steel drum player, who also gave lessons. On our Eurodam cruise in November, the steel drum player normally had contracts with Disney ships, but was doing a few months with HAL. He was very good.

Sorry, I meant to say Enchantment had the band. Don't know about other ships.

All RCI ships in our 21 years experience with them have either a steel drum band or similar (typically 4-pc.) band playing poolside and in certain venues.

Edited by leaveitallbehind