Locks & Peep Holes on Royal Princess

crewzr

I have seen a lot of back-and-forth discussion about door locks on this forum, but nothing specific to the Royal Princess. With that being said...

1) Are there peep holes in the stateroom doors on the Royal Princess?

2) Can the room stewards on the Royal Princess enter the rooms, even if the deadbolts are activated or are there passkeys of various security levels, where only certain personnel can open a stateroom door with the deadbolt activated?

Thanks!

I have seen a lot of back-and-forth discussion about door locks on this forum, but nothing specific to the Royal Princess. With that being said...

2) Can the room stewards on the Royal Princess enter the rooms, even if the deadbolts are activated or are there passkeys of various security levels, where only certain personnel can open a stateroom door with the deadbolt activated?

Thanks!

There are peep holes & I've read that for safety reasons it's possible to override a deadbolt lock however I don't know who has this ability to do it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There are peep holes & I've read that for safety reasons it's possible to override a deadbolt lock however I don't know who has this ability to do it.

Thanks! I'm glad they have added peep holes. It's my understanding that a lot of the older ships don't have them.

Here is a recent thread on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1949124

Yes, I've seen that link. Unfortunately, I didn't see any information specific to the Royal Princess in that thread.

Does anyone else know how the locks work, regarding passkeys and who can override the deadbolts, on the Royal Princess?

Got off the Royal a little over one week ago. Yes, doors have peepholes. I always engaged the deadbolt and put out the "do not disturb" sign. Room steward always respected it. However, I assume those bolts can be overridden. I've never had an issue of anyone walking in on me.

Thanks!

Yes there are peepholes

I am not sure if the room stewards can enter, however mine was very respectful and would not even knock if i had the privacy card out.

Someone posted quite a while back she was worried when her elderly mother did not come to the door after an hour of trying and she was not answering her phone. She had a pass key for her mother's cabin but the deadbolt was on.

The cabin steward had her call security to bypass the deadbolt.

Fortunately, her mother was asleep on her balcony.

From that ... seems security can but cabin stewards can not.

I'm just assuming and don't really know for sure. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

Someone posted quite a while back she was worried when her elderly mother did not come to the door after an hour of trying and she was not answering her phone. She had a pass key for her mother's cabin but the deadbolt was on.

LuLu

~~~~

Correct. Has to be done with a metal key. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

LuLu

~~~~

I don't know how accurate this is.

Several years ago the worst room steward we ever had, among other things, walked in on me while I was just getting out of the shower with the dead bolt on AND the Do not disturb sign on the door.

She (thank goodness for me it was a she) said she just wanted to drop something off quickly! :(

LuLu

~~~~

My cabin steward walked in 2x on me one week when I had the deadbolt on. No supervisor or security present.

I don't know how accurate this is.

Several years ago the worst room steward we ever had, among other things, walked in on me while I was just getting out of the shower with the dead bolt on AND the Do not disturb sign on the door.

She (thank goodness for me it was a she) said she just wanted to drop something off quickly! :(

I agree. For me, it was the worst room steward also!

Edited by Coral

LuLu

~~~~

That doesn't mean the steward couldn't have entered if he wanted to. He might have needed to call security because another passenger wanted access to the room.

My cabin steward walked in 2x on me one week when I had the deadbolt on. No supervisor or security present.

I want to believe you.

But a few posts back, I read that it takes a metal key to

override the deadbolt.

To me, these posts are contradictory. How do I decide?

Post count of the poster?

This is the true beauty of cruise critic. Ask any question,

and you will get a bunch of answers...

I want to believe you.

But a few posts back, I read that it takes a metal key to

override the deadbolt.

To me, these posts are contradictory. How do I decide?

Post count of the poster?

This is the true beauty of cruise critic. Ask any question,

and you will get a bunch of answers...

Several people on a previous post, posted exactly what I posted. I was actually asleep when she came in to deliver a patter. There is no way that I would go asleep with out dead bolting the door.

Look here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1949124

I don't understand why a room steward would enter a cabin if its got the dead bolt lock engaged (which seems to me you would have to be inside to engage it) AND the Do Not Disturb tag on unless it is an emergency. My room steward told us if we wanted to make sure she did not enter, to put that on the door. We did, and the one time I forgot, she did enter while I was in the bathroom - my mistake.

Maybe they need to invest in having the doors like the plane lavatory doors that when you lock it, its slides into OCCUPIED very clearly. I know they won't but..just a thought. :D

I don't understand why a room steward would enter a cabin if its got the dead bolt lock engaged (which seems to me you would have to be inside to engage it) AND the Do Not Disturb tag on unless it is an emergency. My room steward told us if we wanted to make sure she did not enter, to put that on the door. We did, and the one time I forgot, she did enter while I was in the bathroom - my mistake.

Maybe they need to invest in having the doors like the plane lavatory doors that when you lock it, its slides into OCCUPIED very clearly. I know they won't but..just a thought. :D

I did not put the Do Not Disturb tag out. That may have prevented it. Then again, this room steward was awful, so who knows.