Grand Cayman Hotel passes?

phoenix_dream

Do any of the hotels offer passes for use of their swimming pools and beach chairs? We are traveling with an elderly aunt who could never walk the distance down to the ocean on the sandy beach. If we could find a nice hotel with a nice pool we could relax there with her and enjoy a drink, lunch, etc. I know hotels rent chairs and umbrellas on the sand - do any offer this type of option?

There is very little "distance" from the road to the water....beaches are VERY narrow! There are chair/umbrella rentals along the beach...no need to pay a hotel! You can see the highway from the beach quite easily and the sand isn't soft, like on some US beaches....it's a hard-packed coral sand...easy to walk on. Restaurants/bars and restrooms are all long the stretch of beach...Seagrape has everything you could possibly need! A guidebook is a godsend when planning time ashore!

Edited by cb at sea

There are a few hotels that occasionally sell day passes, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent thing.

My recommendation would be Royal Palms. Not only does it have all of the usual amenities plus an adults-only pool, but all of the paths to the main areas of the beach club are paved. Your aunt could sit by the pool or in the patio area and still be in the middle of things, see the water, people watch, etc. and it would only cost the taxi fare there ($4 pp each way) plus the $2 admission fee. She wouldn't need to walk on the sand at all unless she wanted to go right down to the water.

https://royalpalmscayman.com/cruise-ship-visitors

Thanks everyone for the info so far. I have actually been to Grand Cayman several times and I realize the beach is narrow compared to some, but it is too much for my aunt. She also does not have the stability required to swim in the ocean with its uneven bottom, even if she were able to navigate the sand, so needs a pool if she wants to swim. A hotel with a nice pool available for her use, even if for a fee, is what we are looking for. Sounds like there may be a couple reasonable choices. thanks again

We were here at the Royal Palms last week. I can't comment on other places but I think your aunt would be fine here. The admissions is $2.00 pp and you can use the pool and chairs and tablels around the pool for no extra charge. There are bathrooms to the side of the pool. The pool is adult only, the water was very warm, like bath water. On the beach the chairs were $7.00 per and unbrella was $10.00. The beach got very crowded as the day went on.

DSCF6288_zpse9f0f804.jpg

DSCF6289_zps3e81ee86.jpg

Red roof buiding is the restrooms. As you can see plenty of shade at the tables and loungers. I think the cabanas you would have to rent. Also easy access to the pool for her.

If you get there early enough and you get chairs on the beach you cn be right as you walk in and be a 15 second walk to the pool area.

DSCF6290_zps39ab5870.jpg

This picture was taken when I was standing between the pool and the beach. The chair with the light blue towel under the palm tree is one of mine you will be that close to the pool.

Edited by reno3

OP, I really like Royal Palms (been there several times, the last just a few weeks ago--I posted a review in this Royal Palms thread), but having traveled with an elderly family member, I don't think it is an ideal setup for your purposes. But it is certainly workable. You'd have to arrive early to be assured of getting an umbrella table by the pool. And the food's only so-so, but if you arrive early, then you may be ready to go back to the ship by lunch? It can be a loud place depending on music level and crowd.

I recently researched resort day passes for our December cruise. Surprisingly, there are only two options in the Caymans at this time--the Marriott and the Westin. The Marriott is nice because it is so close to the ship, it would be a quick and inexpensive cab ride, I estimate $4 per person because that is the charge to go to the Royal Palms next door. I also like that their day pass is just for facilities use--you can order food and drink ala carte.

This CC page entitled Day Passes at Caribbean Resorts is helpful: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1100

This site sells passes, which can be a convenient way to go when transfers are included. However, as you have to get your own taxi to the Westin per their deal, I'd call the Westin directly to make arrangements.

I guess you checked the beach break options offered by the cruise ship?

Enjoy your cruise with your aunt.

Edited by Artemis