Scheduled delayed embarkation

SusanMelody

Has anyone ever received an emai prior to embarkation stating "we will be conducting routine maintenance tests....as a result check-in will be scheduled from 2;00 pm - 5:30 pm" ?

My question is that does that mean they are really allowing us on the ship at 2:00 pm ? I know I usually arrive at 10:00 am and I am usually onboard anywhere between 11:00 and 12:00.

Has anyone ever received an emai prior to embarkation stating "we will be conducting routine maintenance tests....as a result check-in will be scheduled from 2;00 pm - 5:30 pm" ?

My question is that does that mean they are really allowing us on the ship at 2:00 pm ? I know I usually arrive at 10:00 am and I am usually onboard anywhere between 11:00 and 12:00.

are you leaving from San Juan? If not maybe the ship really is leaving late if your notice says 2:00 - 5:30 since most ships leave at 4pm

Bill

I was just coming to post the same question, though "our" email is slightly different:

------------

On Sunday, our debarking guests will be going through additional document screening measures implemented by Customs and Border Protection for cruises returning from Belize. Additionally, following the completion of the debarkation process, we will be conducting routine maintenance tests aboard the Carnival Conquest.

As a result, check-in for your cruise is now scheduled from 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., and we will set sail shortly thereafter. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, please do not arrive for check-in prior to 2:00 p.m.

--------------

I know they have been trying to get people to show up later, but the email has been more generic. This seems pretty specific.

I checked and it does in fact stop at Belize.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking we'll show up around 11:00, and roll with the punches. We are plat so hopefully get seats.

The Belize warning is interesting though - very specific to this trip. What's up with that?

Edited by TrinaLC

I was just coming to post the same question, though "our" email is slightly different:

------------

On Sunday, our debarking guests will be going through additional document screening measures implemented by Customs and Border Protection for cruises returning from Belize. Additionally, following the completion of the debarkation process, we will be conducting routine maintenance tests aboard the Carnival Conquest.

As a result, check-in for your cruise is now scheduled from 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., and we will set sail shortly thereafter. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, please do not arrive for check-in prior to 2:00 p.m.

--------------

I know they have been trying to get people to show up later, but the email has been more generic. This seems pretty specific.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking we'll show up around 11:00, and roll with the punches. We are plat so hopefully get seats.

The Belize warning is interesting though - very specific to this trip. What's up with that?

Be sure to bring your carry-on bottle of wine. You may be opening it up a little early. :D

Cheers!

------------

--------------

Thoughts?

This one sounds like the real deal since they are saying they will be leaving shortly after 5pm.

Bill

------------

--------------

Thoughts?

I can't understand why, if they are concerned with Belize , Then why can't they check the docs at that port which is on day 5. they would have 2 more days to straighten out any problems before reaching Miami, Please don't mess with my embarkation time.:mad::mad:

What it means is that boarding may be delayed and if you show up at 10 am, don't complain about waiting.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had a similar experience, and if indeed, they were not able to board until 2 pm and would be able to offer some constructive advise.

We just got the same notice for the 1/4 Dream departure, minus the Belize line (Dream is on the eastern run this week). Otherwise, same info. Folks are reporting the same from at least one other ship departing this weekend.

The scuttlebutt is that there have been Norovirus outbreaks and the ships are getting a deeper cleaning than would otherwise be the case, but that's just rumour so far as I can tell.

Whatever it is requires all passengers to be off the ship, so that suggests cleaning versus some sort of systems test or paperwork requirement.

In the past Carnival has sent notes asking people to arrive later, likely to spread out the mass of embarking passengers, but this appears to be a "real" delay since the sailing time is being delayed from 4 to no earlier than 5:30.

Once a quarter all ships gothrough a mandatory inspection of all crew (by imigrations and customs I believe). This is about a 90 minute procedure and delays the embarkation process. Not sure if this is tied to the reason they are stating in your email.

I can't understand why, if they are concerned with Belize , Then why can't they check the docs at that port which is on day 5. they would have 2 more days to straighten out any problems before reaching Miami, Please don't mess with my embarkation time.:mad::mad:

Because US Customs is in the US. Not Belize. :rolleyes:

I cruised Conquest 8-15 Dec 13 and received same msg. I arrived at 1030 and was onboard by 1130 as I am platinum. Think it is to curve mass crowd.

What time did the ship pull out?

It seems odd the email says to arrive by 5:30pm when the ship is supposed to sail at 4pm?:confused:

Bill

Ignore it and get there early, 10-1030.

We were on the NCL Darn Dawn over Thanksgiving and were held up getting on and off the ship as they had taken on new passengers in Cozumel. Really screwed up. Possibly, will Carnival pick up new passengers in Belize that means a more thorough customs check? NCL and customs were not ready for the gigantic mess that was created.

Freedom on Jan 5 got the same letter... "please don't arrive before 2pm"

It says maintenance, but could be any process required once a year. Safety drills? Simulated fire that would panic passengers?

I've seen the crew do their lifeboat drill practice with no disruption to passengers, so I don't think that's enough to hold embarkation.

From what I have heard a letter stating maintance has gone out for most of the Fla. departures this weekend. Just a guess but it could be USCG , US DOT or NTSB inspection. They take place when the inspectors decide to do them and they prefer no passangers on board when they do them.

To reiterate, this email was DIFFERENT than the usual email/robo call telling people not to arrive before 2 because of maintenance - it was very specific about enhanced document check due to a belize port stop.

We decided to arrive around 12:30 instead of our usual 10:30, mostly because we are over the need to be first on board and didn't want to rush around.

Turned out the timing was perfect - we were dropped off at the port around 12:20, no line at security, got to priority check-in at 12:30 (we are plat). We got our cards at 12:35ish, just as they started priority embarkation. Since we were still at the check in desk, rather than sitting in the VIP lounge, we were in fact just about first on the ship, ahead of other plats and FTTF folks who had checked in earlier and were sitting in the lounge waiting.

It is now 4:30, and it is clear we will not in fact sail until closer to 6:00 p.m - the Glory by contrast seems to be on the normal schedule - we heard their muster drill around 3:45, and it looks like they are getting ready to pull out.

SO - the email for this particular voyage was "real" - Conquest boarding and sailing is delayed by about 2 hours (but priority board was still well before 2:00 p.m.)