Has anyone else noticed??

LOVEMYMO

That NCL has changed their house wine from Tisdale to a new wine from Chile - Santa something? I can't remember the name now...sorry. I didn't notice any recent posts about it - so I thought I would.

Also, another change I noticed on our recent cruise (Breakaway) that the buns (Hamburger and Hotdog) were fresh/soft and not previously frozen/stale like all the other times. They just would break into bits - hated that.

I truly think what is discussed on these boards is read by NCL and taken seriously. Nice to know :)

That NCL has changed their house wine from Tisdale to a new wine from Chile - Santa something? I can't remember the name now...sorry. I didn't notice any recent posts about it - so I thought I would.

Also, another change I noticed on our recent cruise (Breakaway) that the buns (Hamburger and Hotdog) were fresh/soft and not previously frozen/stale like all the other times. They just would break into bits - hated that.

I truly think what is discussed on these boards is read by NCL and taken seriously. Nice to know :)

They gave me Tisdale on my recent Panama cruises on the Star. Maybe the transition isn't complete and they are still using the old stock.

I think it is Santa Catalina...or something like that. I don't really like wine, however at the Latitudes parties, I try to do my fair share of consuming as much as possible in the limited amount of time. This last cruise, Sun about a month ago, the servers kept filling my wine glass. It actually, as red wine goes, wasn't bad. I asked the bar tender afterwards what was the house wine they were serving. It was the Santa Catalina....if I remembered it correctly.

I think it is Santa Catalina...or something like that. I don't really like wine, however at the Latitudes parties, I try to do my fair share of consuming as much as possible in the limited amount of time. This last cruise, Sun about a month ago, the servers kept filling my wine glass. It actually, as red wine goes, wasn't bad. I asked the bar tender afterwards what was the house wine they were serving. It was the Santa Catalina....if I remembered it correctly.

YES that was it!!! Catalina!!! Thanks roger001 :-) And I agree, not bad at all for "free" . Happy New Year!!!

One can only assume the new wine is cheaper.

Maybe, but can you get less expensive than Tisdale? Wait..... Boonesfarm. NCL's wine list is less than desirable. I tend to bring my own and pay corkage. The only way to go in my opinion.

Expect to see a new wine list coming out on the ships in the near future, starting with the Getaway and going with a fleet wide roll out after that. I heard this from an officer on the Breakaway in December and just read another article here...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/12/prweb11394566.htm

and here...

http://www.fodors.com/news/mondavi-family-develops-new-wine-list-for-norwegian-cruise-line-7347.html

I prefer to trade it for sparkling wine myself.

I did enjoy the " Chandon " from California, featured on the Dawn in November . Not Meot but made by the same folks

We had a couple of bottles of Santa Catalina last June and it was fine for me.

Worth noting that price of wine rarely has much to do with how good it is. Saw a champagne tasting on TV just before xmas, the wine buff rated the most expensive bottle second best. The best tasting one was £9.99 a bottle ($15) the second best was £34.95 (around $50)

All down to personal taste, price doesn't really come into it and Chilean wines are both very good and very cheap in my opinion.

Me too! :cool:

Sometimes cutting costs is a good thing.

Is the information regarding the price of these two wines available so we can see if this is an upgrade or a cost cutting measure? I can't seem to find the price lists to use for comparison. Would you provide the source of your information to the rest of us at CC ???

We were on the Pearl this last Oct., and they no longer had Tisdale available. Don't recall the brand to replace it (the cheapest available), but it went down much better. And it cost an arm and a leg to boot.:cool:

We were on the Jewel last month and the Santa Catalina was much easier on the palate. I have seen them both at local stores and they were comparably priced. About 4 something a bottle. But the cruise lines buy in such bulk they will pay substantially less.

NCL already carries the Robert Mondavi wines. Not sure if Michael Mondavi is a different winery of the same family. My favorite quaffing wine is Mondavi's Woodbridge Sauvignon Blanc, but it isn't available. Surprising since it is pretty cheap.

This past year I experienced both brands of the complimentary wine.

I would consider them 'equals'.

I personally didn't care for either, but never once uttered a negative word onboard (since the gesture by NCL is certainly appreciated).

Santa%20Catalina%20Wine-XL.jpg

I too thought the Santa Catalina red was an adequate complimentary wine. Though I am a cheap wine type of guy. At wine tastings I always perfer the cheap wines taste to the more expensive ones. But hey, I like swill for beer too. Miller High Life is a perennial favorite, though a good home brew stout I like best.

Jon