Beverage package question?

rucrazy

I guess we drink very little compared to most.. I see all the threads about the virtues of the beverage packages. I have to wonder just how much alcohol (number of drinks) do you have to consume on a daily basis to make it such a wonderful deal?

Cheers!

This has been widely debated. Even moderate drinkers who consume San Pel at dinner, Evian during the day, an afternoon latte and a fresh squeezed at breakfast can find value. Beyond that, the convenience of not having to sign everytime we find to be a plus. Upgrading the Classic 123 Go promotion for $23.00 per day for two was a no brainer for us.

If you try a drink and don't like it, you are not guilted into finishing it.

It's an individual choice.

I appreciate your response.. but I guess that even with the Pellegrino we order each night at dinner we typically spend less than $30 a day for drinks for the both of us as is.. that is why I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it

We normally don't drink much on a cruise, but upgraded our included classic package on our last cruise and really enjoyed it, although I would never pay for a package myself. All the bottled water we wanted, trying different coffee and tea drinks as well as a glass or two of wine with dinner and an occasional cocktail without signing for anything was worth the small amount we paid to upgrade.

I should mention only I upgraded because I enjoy wine with dinner, so wanted the bigger by the glass selection and also wanted to try several martinis, which are only available with the premium pkg. My husband only wanted his margaritas, so was perfectly fine with the classic pkg. I'm just saying we both enjoyed the packages we had.

On past cruises I could spend anywhere from $30 to $100 on drinks on any given day. Paying full price for the package, therefore, may or may not save me money depending on how we feel during the trip (if I get seasick at all I could spend a day or 2 consuming no alcohol.) With the 123promo, paying $23 a day to upgrade to premium will definitely save me money- maybe a lot, maybe just a little. It's worth a try though. It's not for everyone.

I guess we drink very little compared to most.. I see all the threads about the virtues of the beverage packages. I have to wonder just how much alcohol (number of drinks) do you have to consume on a daily basis to make it such a wonderful deal?

Cheers!

Hey, I know Gambee uploaded a drink calculator on here. I think 6-7 drinks a day are the break even point. Celebrity including the coffees, sodas, and wasters makes this a definite for us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1474682

You may not drink that much, but it gives you an idea of the value for some.

When you add in fancy coffees, specialty waters & juices, red bull, sodas, it can be a real value. DH loves pina coladas--and at $10 each those puppies add up quick!!

We definitely enjoy our drinks on a cruise, and even we figured we might only break even some days--but we do enjoy the freedom to enjoy whatever we want whenever we want. Plus you can try some cocktails you might never otherwise try for fear you might not like them--if you don't, oh, well!

Hey, I know Gambee uploaded a drink calculator on here. I think 6-7 drinks a day are the break even point. Celebrity including the coffees, sodas, and wasters makes this a definite for us.

Oh ok.. thank you for that.....I didn't see the calculator... 6-7 drinks are way over our limits.. we barely get through the 3 at the elite cocktail nights

Oh ok.. thank you for that.....I didn't see the calculator... 6-7 drinks are way over our limits.. we barely get through the 3 at the elite cocktail nights

Also with the pkg you are not married to the Elite party or coupons. We miss the party when it's a heavy sailing and coupons are in use, but at the party we drink what we want, not the limited choices offered for free.

We end up going to the party to solcialize, not just to drink for free. If we choose not to one evening we haven't lost any benefit.

On our last X cruise, we bought the Premium Non-Alcoholic package as we do enjoy San Pellegrino with every meal, plus I love my teas and hubby loves his specialty coffees. The kids were able to get frozen concoctions without alcohol. We bought a bottle of wine with dinner one night and otherwise, just paid as we went. We would typically have a drink before or after dinner and maybe one with dinner. We found we had everything we wanted and came out ahead.

That being said, we just booked for April and decided to try the free beverage package. I would have preferred to get the premium non-alcoholic again, but the option is the classic, that's it. I did the math and we're better off taking the classic and upgrading to premium (which will be more than we need) than taking one of the other offers, buying the non-alcoholic and paying as we go for our alcoholic drinks.

We will see what we think this time. I'm not sure I can ever see myself paying for the alcohol package myself, but since it's "free", why not?

Hi,

I just got off the Celebrity Solstice 12 New Zealand cruise. My boyfriend and I chose the Premium (alcohol) Package. I knew the package would be a money saver for him :). Me on the other hand I wasn't so sure. Out of the 12 days, 5 days were at sea days. I think that is important to remember. So... the average 'at sea day' for me:

1) Special coffee at Cafe al Bacio

2) Another cup for breakfast because the stuff in the Oceanview or Dining room is terrible !

3) Fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast

4) Bottle water

5) foo foo drink (or 2) by pool or on your balcony

6) wine late in the day while getting dressed

7) cocktail before dinner

8) wine with dinner (maybe more than one if you are in a Specialty Restaurant)

9) nightcap

#5 was the only one I missed in port. Sometimes I had 2 bottles of water on port days.

With the Premium (alcohol) package they only charge you the difference between the $12 max wine and the wine you choose. With the Classic Package they charge you the WHOLE amount. I may be a wine snob, but the wines on the Classic Package aren't good! Of the 4 times we upgraded to the better wine, we were only charged the difference once.

The BIG plus is never having to sign for a thing! That was huge to us. Did my Honey get his money's worth? Ubetcha... Did I ? I think/know so !

We survived on over 30 cruises without any drink package.

We drank the tap water the same as we do at home.

We drank the tea, coffee, and etc that was availablle in the buffet and what ever was served in the MDR.

Took advantage of the happy hours

Bought buckets of beer.

Had drinks at the ports that we visited.

The last 3 cruises we had the drink package thru the promo and upgraded to the premium. Drank more than normal because it was there. We enjoyed it but would never purchase it outright as we can do without it and still enjoy a few drinks and not spend the extra money that it cost.

Many will say that they like the freedom or convienance. But how many of those clip coupons, or do other things to save a dollar. Everyone has their own spending priorities and ways to save money.

There are other drink packages available that don't include alcohol and one of those may suit you.

.🎉🎩🍸🍻

We enjoyed the drink package on our last cruise. it was so nice not to have to sign for everything. We were able to have fresh squeezed OJ every day, bottled water, top shelf drinks, soft drinks, specialty coffees, etc. It was nice. We upgraded to the Ultimate package. I guess is depends if you want the convenience it is worth it. We are going to partake again in December 2014. Everyone is different regarding consumption. It is for all beverages not just alcoholic.

We survived on over 30 cruises without any drink package.

We drank the tap water the same as we do at home.

We drank the tea, coffee, and etc that was availablle in the buffet and what ever was served in the MDR.

Took advantage of the happy hours

Bought buckets of beer.

Had drinks at the ports that we visited.

The last 3 cruises we had the drink package thru the promo and upgraded to the premium. Drank more than normal because it was there. We enjoyed it but would never purchase it outright as we can do without it and still enjoy a few drinks and not spend the extra money that it cost.

Many will say that they like the freedom or convienance. But how many of those clip coupons, or do other things to save a dollar. Everyone has their own spending priorities and ways to save money.

There are other drink packages available that don't include alcohol and one of those may suit you.

This is the point, spot on. Whether the pkg is a bargain is an individual decision, based on an individual's priorities and behavior. No one should be criticized for taking advantage of it, or not.

Typical premium drink package sea day for me:

Double shot of espresso/ cappy or whatever other coffee drink I desire that morning or any time later in the day. If I crave a shot of Grand Marnier or Frangelico or Irish Whiskey in any specialty coffee I get it. It's included.

Fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast.

Grey Goose or Belvedere Bloody Mary(s) before lunch.

After mowing down a burger on the pool deck, a glass or two of Pyrat rum on the rocks usually suffices. If I desire a Margarita, I order it with Patron, Cointreau, and a Grand Marnier floater. No problem.

Before dinner I may devour a couple of Jonnie Walker Blacks. Sparkling water and a glass of wine or a Heineken at dinner, and perhaps a belly-warming Remy Martin with dessert if I so desire.

If I still have to drink after dinner, the options are limitless. Nothin' like a little Jack Daniels with my comedian! And another bottle of water to bring back to the tomb. I mean room!

I like being able to order whatever I want whenever I want, so for me the premium drink package is worth it. (BTW, it's included in my next cruise)

Unlimited floaters too! Elite or not.

I have a question about the gratuity. It says that the premier package (alcohol), is $59 a day plus 15% gratuity. Does that mean that approx $8 more added to the $59 meaning the real cost would be $67 a day? Trying to decide what to do for our 1/18/14 cruise that is coming up quickly!

Interesting question that I posed myself.

We had the 123 package and I upgraded mine to the premium thinking I would love the Molecular Bar and I knew that a wine I loved was premium so it would be worthwhile upgrading. Well it was worth it because of the wine. But I would never buy the beverage package, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

I can get my good cup of coffee at the Elite breakfast if I have to have one, or just buy a cup at Cafe Al Baccio.

As far as the alcohol. I discovered I wasn't all that thrilled with the Molecular Bar. I know, perish the thought.

After about 4 different drink samples, I didn't bother any more.

And the wine? Well, it's $9.50 a glass and I drank about 4 glasses in the evening, total. I doubt I would drink that many if I paid for them. Maybe 2. So for me the alcohol package is not worth it.

My husband doesn't drink any alcohol, what a waste of the 123 on him!

Interesting question that I posed myself.

We had the 123 package and I upgraded mine to the premium thinking I would love the Molecular Bar and I knew that a wine I loved was premium so it would be worthwhile upgrading. Well it was worth it because of the wine. But I would never buy the beverage package, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

I can get my good cup of coffee at the Elite breakfast if I have to have one, or just buy a cup at Cafe Al Baccio.

As far as the alcohol. I discovered I wasn't all that thrilled with the Molecular Bar. I know, perish the thought.

After about 4 different drink samples, I didn't bother any more.

And the wine? Well, it's $9.50 a glass and I drank about 4 glasses in the evening, total. I doubt I would drink that many if I paid for them. Maybe 2. So for me the alcohol package is not worth it.

My husband doesn't drink any alcohol, what a waste of the 123 on him!

We had upgraded 3 times to the premium. The first time I was really excited about the Molecular bar. The drinks were terrible and most time I would walk away with them and leave them somewhere.

On the next cruise it was on M class and my wife wanted the better wines, and I wanted to try the microbrews.

On our last cruise I told my wife that I wanted to try the Molecular bar again. The BT was fabulous and really put his heart into making the drinks. The drinks were fantastic. When his relief came the drinks were terrible, his heart and passion were not into making the drink. When the regular BT made the drink it was like watching a gourmet chef. He took pride into making it and the presentation had to be perfect. The other BT just threw them together. We found this to be true at the other bars also. Order the same drink and it wil be totally different if made by a different BT. Martinis at the martini bar would also be different depending on who made it.

We ended up spending many evening sitting at the molecular bar because of that BT and basically formed a small nighty group that was there every night enjoying those drinks.

I was not a fan of that bar until then. The BT manager introduced himself to us and I told him about how great the BT was and how great the BT was at the Passport lounge. He said that it is amazing that I said that because those are his 2 best BT and they also happen to be room mates. Problem is that the BT at the Mole bar was leaving and not comming back, his contract was up and he wanted to spend time with his family.

Things always change and don't judge anything by your first impression. If we judged things by our first impression my wife and I wouldn't have dated and that was 50 years ago.

Between bottled water and coffee, at least 1/3 to 1/2 of my value from the drink package comes from non-alcoholic drinks. Yes, tap water is fine, but taking it out on a port day doesn't work so well. Runs right through my fingers. Ditto having a cold water to drink after hopping off the treadmill, etc.

Hi everyone, if someone could help me out with this...I checked Celebrity website and it states that classic non-alcoholic beverage package starts at $14.00 per night. Since we will be doing early disembarkation on the 9th day of our 11 day cruise, is it possible to pay for 9 days only?

Hi everyone, if someone could help me out with this...I checked Celebrity website and it states that classic non-alcoholic beverage package starts at $14.00 per night. Since we will be doing early disembarkation on the 9th day of our 11 day cruise, is it possible to pay for 9 days only?
Yes, but only if you wish to purchase a package for the last nine days, not the first nine days, so it really would not help you.

I appreciate your response.. but I guess that even with the Pellegrino we order each night at dinner we typically spend less than $30 a day for drinks for the both of us as is.. that is why I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it

I think you've answered your own question.

Do you want to stick with your $30/day expenditure level or increase it to $88/day?

The drink packages are not for everyone.

I tweaked one of the various calculators doing the rounds so it was generic (you add the total days of your cruise) and you can also specify how many of those are port or 'at sea' days - then specify how many drinks you may have depending. It will highlight which packages break even (turn Green) or not (turn Red). Hope it is of help - not sure if there is a better place to save it but would appreciate any feedback. Cheers (pun intended!!) :D

Celebrity Cruises Drink Package Selector.xls