Formal Night - taking pictures in wedding clothes?

RozWazowski

We are cruising in August for our honeymoon and thought it would be pretty cool if we took our wedding clothes with us for a photo op on the formal dinner night. He will be wearing a simple suit, not a tux and my wedding dress is not a big flashy or fluffy dress - but is most obviously a wedding dress. I'm just curious what the general opinion of that idea is and if anyone has any good ideas how to get the clothing to and from the port safely. We will have to travel by plane for the trip. Also, do the ships have salons to get your hair done if we go that route?

Thanks!

I don't see anything wrong with it, anything to keep elegant night elegant since everyone seems to think dark jeans=elegant. You'll look beautiful.

If you're concerned with the clothing, have them dry cleaned and pack in a garment bag. As soon as you arrive hang them up, and possibly spritz a little Febreeze and steam in the shower beforehand.

Yes they can do hair and nails as well as other services in the spa.

Congrats to you!

Be aware that the excess baggage fees charged by the airlines are EXPENSIVE! :eek: Taking an extra bag (in addition to your normal cruise luggage) for your dress, shoes, etc. will likely cost you an extra $50-100 each way! :mad:

Unless you are flying Southwest or have another free baggage option this will be an expensive photo option.

There is a photo taking point that has a selection of old time clothing and might have wedding dresses for you to put on for pictures.

If you are taking a garment bag anyway dont see how this would cost anymore if you take your own dress.

Contact Photo Manager when you arrive on the ship. I did this 10 years ago. They didn't charge any extra to have a private photographer take a dozen pics all over the ship where we wanted pics taken, sunset, balcony, etc. We met the photogragher @ 4:00 pm and it took about 45 minutes. They know your buying photos and it's a guarantee sale for them........had about 10 great photos all 8x10 and larger for under $200.

Enjoy & congrats

D

Be aware that the excess baggage fees charged by the airlines are EXPENSIVE! :eek: Taking an extra bag (in addition to your normal cruise luggage) for your dress, shoes, etc. will likely cost you an extra $50-100 each way! :mad:

Unless you are flying Southwest or have another free baggage option this will be an expensive photo option.

Thanks for this reminder. We need to buy some luggage and I'll need to check our airline tickets again. I know they come with x amount of bags per person and 2 carry on bags per. I should buy one of those trunks like in the movie Joe vs the Volcano.

Contact Photo Manager when you arrive on the ship. I did this 10 years ago. They didn't charge any extra to have a private photographer take a dozen pics all over the ship where we wanted pics taken' date=' sunset, balcony, etc. We met the photogragher @ 4:00 pm and it took about 45 minutes. They know your buying photos and it's a guarantee sale for them........had about 10 great photos all 8x10 and larger for under $200.

Enjoy & congrats

D[/quote']

Thanks! This is a great idea. I didn't know this was possible :)

I don't see anything wrong with it, anything to keep elegant night elegant since everyone seems to think dark jeans=elegant. You'll look beautiful.

If you're concerned with the clothing, have them dry cleaned and pack in a garment bag. As soon as you arrive hang them up, and possibly spritz a little Febreeze and steam in the shower beforehand.

Yes they can do hair and nails as well as other services in the spa.

Congrats to you!

LOL ... yeah. I guess I can wear my jeans under the dress ;) THANK YOU!

it would be lovelyl. But do keep a couple things in mind, you will have the dress on all day at your wedding and it will probably need to be cleaned. Not a big hassle, you can get that done on board the ship. It will take extra packing space, another thing to consider. If you have a photographer at your wedding you will already have tons of photos in your dress.

I always love to see brides and grooms on cruise ships, I almost wish we had gotten married on a ship! You will have many people extending their congratulations on your marriage.

I was married on the Dream several years ago (on embarkation day). I wore my wedding dress until the wee hours of that evening. I think wearing your wedding clothes is a great idea (assuming you don't mind getting a lot of attention while wearing it). I & my DH had our wedding clothes in garment bags. We didn't have any issues putting them in the overhead bins on the airplane (placing them gently on top of our other items) nor carrying the garment bags onboard with us. Luckily nothing got wrinkled in transit. Also, if you ask the flight attendant, they may store them for you during the flight in a hanging upright position if space is available to do so. The ships do have salons that you could get an appointment to have your hair done - I'd recommend doing so in advance or on day 1 to ensure you get the time slot you'd like. I would think the salon is busier on formal nights.

Lastly, on our last Carnival cruise I was approached by one of the photographers in the photo gallery who mentioned the possibility of scheduling a photo shoot around various areas of the ship. I’m not sure if this is something new or not? But from what she described, it seemed like a similar experience to what we received on our wedding cruise (where the photographer took us to various places around the ship and took pictures of us). There was no obligation to buy. After the pictures were developed, you’d meet with the photographer later in the week to look at the pictures at which point you could purchase those you liked best. I was just thinking it was worth mentioning to you (in the case that you dress up). I feel this is a much better option than just the photos with the standard backdrops on formal night? Below is an example of one of our photos we purchased onboard.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3686%3Dot%3E%3A34%3B%3D6%3A5%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E25%3B8762%3B97255ot1lsi

So, would photos be better on a less busy night other than formal night? I think we like the idea of more picture options and not being pressed for time.

It's there a way to know ahead of our sailing when the formal night will be?

Thanks again everyone. You've all been a lot of help!

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

By all means, have as many photos taken as you wish.

Why not wear your lovely dress and have the momentos of beautiful photos taken on your cruise.

Maybe when you come home, you'll post a photo or two here as a treat for us. :)

Sending you all best wishes.

it would be lovelyl. But do keep a couple things in mind, you will have the dress on all day at your wedding and it will probably need to be cleaned. Not a big hassle, you can get that done on board the ship. It will take extra packing space, another thing to consider. If you have a photographer at your wedding you will already have tons of photos in your dress.

I always love to see brides and grooms on cruise ships, I almost wish we had gotten married on a ship! You will have many people extending their congratulations on your marriage.

I'm not sure that the ship will handle the cleaning if a specialty item like a wedding gown. Even some cleaners won't take them.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I'm not sure that the ship will handle the cleaning if a specialty item like a wedding gown. Even some cleaners won't take them.

I suppose that's another thing to consider. The OP does have some thinking to do.

Some things that sound like a good idea end up being more hassle than you imagine.

I think, if it were me, I'd wait until after the wedding to decide. I know I prefer to pack light and simple. But if the dress replaces a formal outfit...well :)

I mention the cleaning because at my wedding, someone spilled white wine on me and I got a bit of salad dressing on the skirt.

Call Carnival and give them the name of the ship and the date you are sailing and they will give you the formal night dates. Even if you've booked through a travel agent the info is generic enough to obtain.

Have a fantastic cruise!!

So, would photos be better on a less busy night other than formal night? I think we like the idea of more picture options and not being pressed for time.

Generally it is the first sea day or the second night, however there are exceptions. Maybe ask in your roll call.

Edited by Lerin

I suppose that's another thing to consider. The OP does have some thinking to do.

Some things that sound like a good idea end up being more hassle than you imagine.

I think, if it were me, I'd wait until after the wedding to decide. I know I prefer to pack light and simple. But if the dress replaces a formal outfit...well :)

I mention the cleaning because at my wedding, someone spilled white wine on me and I got a bit of salad dressing on the skirt.

I've been researching garment bags large enough for my dress and his suit and also small enough to carry on the plane. As far as cleaning goes I'm going to be researching cleansers...I wouldn't trust just anyone with my dress either :) AND carrying a bag on the plane is FREE! vs checking the bag. It's going to have so many pockets! I might be able to steam it in the shower as someone suggested and it has a lace cover so any wrinkles shouldn't show too bad if I cannot remove them.

I've been researching garment bags large enough for my dress and his suit and also small enough to carry on the plane. As far as cleaning goes I'm going to be researching cleansers...I wouldn't trust just anyone with my dress either :) AND carrying a bag on the plane is FREE! vs checking the bag. It's going to have so many pockets! I might be able to steam it in the shower as someone suggested and it has a lace cover so any wrinkles shouldn't show too bad if I cannot remove them.

Keep in mind that if it won't fit under the seat without hanging out and they are out of overhead space, you will be forced to check it. They don't care what is in the bag. (Medical devices are the only exception).

Also most planes no longer have closets, so please don't plan on hanging it up. If there is a closet, it will be restricted to use by first class cabin guests.

Your best bet is to put dry cleaning bags over the dress and suit top and bottom and them into a soft nylon hanging bag. This will lay the flatest on top of other things in the overhead, or worst case scenario roll up to fit under the seat. As soon as you arrive, hang it up and let any wrinkles fall out.

We did this. I felt a bit conspicuous walking around in the dress because we got some stares, but I enjoyed it. We didn't set up a special photo session, we just went to most of the stations. Our favorite came from one of the casual white backgrounds.