Seapass open multiple cabins doors

Russ_MT

We booked 2 cabins on Navigator and want to put our teenage son in his own cabin across the hall. Booked one cabin in my name, the other in wife's.

Can our seapass cards be programmed to open both cabin doors? We would like to access either cabin from any card.

We booked 2 cabins on Navigator and want to put our teenage son in his own cabin across the hall. Booked one cabin in my name, the other in wife's.

Can our seapass cards be programmed to open both cabin doors? We would like to access either cabin from any card.

Not sure if one SeaPass card can open multiple staterooms. However, Guest Services will give you an extra key to your son's stateroom.

Guess it's possible, because my key can also open the door to the Diamond Lounge.

Guess it's possible, because my key can also open the door to the Diamond Lounge.

Hi,

my comment is the same. If my seapass card was programmed to open my cabin door as well as the DL door ...... and it worked well on both doors .....

Hi,

my comment is the same. If my seapass card was programmed to open my cabin door as well as the DL door ...... and it worked well on both doors .....

Makes perfect sence to me. If my key can open the crown loft glass doors to get to my suite, then open my door, and also open the CL door, why can't they program them to do two rooms. Hum??

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser

Makes perfect sence to me. If my key can open the crown loft glass doors to get to my suite, then open my door, and also open the CL door, why can't they program them to do two rooms. Hum??

Having dabbled in a little bit of programming before, probably it's the way that the readers on the doors and the magnetic strip is programmed. It won't be like the following but I'm guessing (take note I'm making a guess here) that it's probably stored like this on the magnetic strip.

Folio number: 635242637

Room number: 1630

Special room 1: Y/N ( yes or no)

Special room 2: Y/N

Special room 1 or 2 can be designated to be the diamond lounge, and so you see, there's no more space for Room number 2.

It shouldn't be the other way I guess where the room card reader is programmed every cruise to open to your door as I don't see the room door card readers connect to anything.

On the other hand, if my above theory holds water, you might be able to use your old sea pass cards from your previous cruises to open the same door! Anybody tried this?!

Unless the door reader has time stored on it, then it can invalid your old cards?

Above are just my conjectures please take note. To be safe, please use the good o "microwave" in the room, if you know what I mean!

Happy cruising!

Having dabbled in a little bit of programming before, probably it's the way that the readers on the doors and the magnetic strip is programmed. It won't be like the following but I'm guessing (take note I'm making a guess here) that it's probably stored like this on the magnetic strip.

Folio number: 635242637

Room number: 1630

Special room 1: Y/N ( yes or no)

Special room 2: Y/N

Special room 1 or 2 can be designated to be the diamond lounge, and so you see, there's no more space for Room number 2.

It shouldn't be the other way I guess where the room card reader is programmed every cruise to open to your door as I don't see the room door card readers connect to anything.

On the other hand, if my above theory holds water, you might be able to use your old sea pass cards from your previous cruises to open the same door! Anybody tried this?!

Unless the door reader has time stored on it, then it can invalid your old cards?

Above are just my conjectures please take note. To be safe, please use the good o "microwave" in the room, if you know what I mean!

Happy cruising!

In general, hotel key cards store the current unlock code for your room's door (we'll call it code A ) as well as a second unlock code (code B ). When you first use your card in the door, the door replaces it's current unlock code with Code A and stores Code B in memory. If you lose your card and are issued a new one (or another guest checks in and gets a new card) that card will have Code B as the current unlock code and a new code (Code C ) as the second code. When that card is used in the door, the door recognizes that the unlock code (Code B ) matches the second code it had stored in memory so it erases Code A, sets Code B as the unlock code, and stores Code C in memory. This way, as soon as a new card is used the old card won't work any more (some doors can keep track of multiple cards so that replacing one doesn't invalidate the rest, but the concept is similar). The cards are also coded with an expiration date, so your key will stop working after your check-out day even if no one else checks into that room.

On Royal Caribbean the cards probably have the two codes for your door, your folio number, unlock codes for the Lounge and Crown Loft doors if applicable, and date the cruise ends. It would be fairly simple to change the unlock codes for the lounge and crown loft doors before each cruise. The reason your card cannot open two cabin doors is that the doors look at a specific part of the magnetic strip data for the codes, and probably don't have the ability to check two different places for the correct codes. The crown loft and lounge doors are probably programmed to look at the specific part of the magnetic strip data where those codes are stored.

Edited by ahecht

In general, hotel key cards store the current unlock code for your room's door (we'll call it code A ) as well as a second unlock code (code B ). When you first use your card in the door, the door replaces it's current unlock code with Code A and stores Code B in memory. If you lose your card and are issued a new one (or another guest checks in and gets a new card) that card will have Code B as the current unlock code and a new code (Code C ) as the second code. When that card is used in the door, the door recognizes that the unlock code (Code B ) matches the second code it had stored in memory so it erases Code A, sets Code B as the unlock code, and stores Code C in memory. This way, as soon as a new card is used the old card won't work any more (some doors can keep track of multiple cards so that replacing one doesn't invalidate the rest, but the concept is similar). The cards are also coded with an expiration date, so your key will stop working after your check-out day even if no one else checks into that room.

On Royal Caribbean the cards probably have the two codes for your door, your folio number, unlock codes for the Lounge and Crown Loft doors if applicable, and date the cruise ends. It would be fairly simple to change the unlock codes for the lounge and crown loft doors before each cruise. The reason your card cannot open two cabin doors is that the doors look at a specific part of the magnetic strip data for the codes, and probably don't have the ability to check two different places for the correct codes. The crown loft and lounge doors are probably programmed to look at the specific part of the magnetic strip data where those codes are stored.

Sounds good. Probably there's a Code X for master key cards too, like those that our stateroom attendants are holding. their plain white card can open our doors (and some of them open in advance for us when they see us walking down the hallway to our rooms, so we never have to even take out our seapass cards! that's sweet). Not sure if their plain white cards can open all doors under their charge only, or open all stateroom doors...

Interesting details, thanks.:)

Thanks for the replies. Good to know we can all have a key to open each other's doors, even if it requires us to carry 2 cards.

As for the mag stripe, I have a 3 track reader I use for my work. I will have to swipe my old seapass to see what's on that thing.

--Russ