Carry on question

A friend of ours said that you can only have 3 ounces of any liquid in your carry on when boarding the ship on embarkation day.

This first time cruiser must have missed that lil pearl.

Is that true? And if so, where are there other carry on limitations I can read about ahead of time so that we don't look like complete idiots.

Serenade of the Seas.

Thanks.

Air travel.

Don't know of any volume restrictions (other than booze) at boarding!

I've taken 16 ounce saline solution, for instance, on multiple cruises.

And up to 2, 750ml bottles of wine per cabin.

The 3 ounce rule applies to air travel for carry on bags, so you would have to pack accordingly if you are flying. All liquids, lotions, etc. in carry on bags must be smaller than 3 ounces and fit in a quart size ziploc bag for airport security. Larger liquids and lotions must go in your checked bag.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is not true. You can bring water, wine (2 bottles), sodas.

Can someone please clarify the bringing of water/soda on board for me? I've been reading things where people are saying you can bring both on board and things where people are saying you cannot bring water/soda on board. We are interested in bringing both water and soda on board but don't want to buy it only to find out we can't bring it. :confused:

I searched Royals FAQ section and this is what I found:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

Can someone please clarify the bringing of water/soda on board for me? I've been reading things where people are saying you can bring both on board and things where people are saying you cannot bring water/soda on board. We are interested in bringing both water and soda on board but don't want to buy it only to find out we can't bring it. :confused:

I searched Royals FAQ section and this is what I found:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

It's not that complicated, both are against the rules but rarely are said rules enforced. If they are the only consequence is losing the beverages.

We can debate (and no doubt some will) the ethics of doing this but the facts are as above.

Pretty much all who say you can't are approaching the issue from a moral perspective. I frankly agree with them but the truth is what it is.

Although I have to admit it seems a bit silly, imagine "smuggling" water onboard in your allowed wine bottles, picture the scene:

"Sir, that isn't wine in those bottles, it's water. I'm afraid we're going to have to confiscate it."

Edited by DrD

Their FAQ was a little murky. Regarding soda, it said guests aren't allowed to bring non-alcoholic drinks. Later it said bottles and containers would be inspected and alcohol would be confiscated. But they DIDN'T say soda would be confiscated.

I'll be traveling with a diabetic person and thought it might be wise to pack a can or 2 of soda, to have in case of emergency.

No it's crystal:

"Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. "

So both prohibited alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated, but only alcoholic beverages will "not be returned," implying that non-alcoholic beverages will be returned. Hence the "dispose of containers holding alcohol."

So they'd keep both your sodas safe for the week until you get back. (Or maybe return means return at security, so you can leave line and disposition said non-alcoholic beverage prior to boarding, as opposed to having them poured out in front of you)

Again though the chances of this happening are about as high as the chances of you finding a good deal in the art gallery.

I guess a real sea lawyer would point out that the rules only state that the containers holding the alcohol will be disposed of, not the alcohol itself. I see a lawsuit coming.

So maybe it's not so crystal clear after all. I hate arguing with myself.

PS: I think if your friend goes into a diabetic coma a soda used for emergency resuscitation would not be charged to your seapass card. that would be beyond cheap.

Edited by DrD

It's not that complicated, both are against the rules but rarely are said rules enforced. If they are the only consequence is losing the beverages.

We can debate (and no doubt some will) the ethics of doing this but the facts are as above.

Pretty much all who say you can't are approaching the issue from a moral perspective. I frankly agree with them but the truth is what it is.

Although I have to admit it seems a bit silly, imagine "smuggling" water onboard in your allowed wine bottles, picture the scene:

"Sir, that isn't wine in those bottles, it's water. I'm afraid we're going to have to confiscate it."

Well, apparently it is COMPLICATED if there are several people saying yes and several people saying no, all I asked for was clarification....geeze....I just wanted to be sure so we aren't buying anything and finding out that we can't take it on board....just to be safe, I won't bring anything.

Well, apparently it is COMPLICATED if there are several people saying yes and several people saying no, all I asked for was clarification....geeze....I just wanted to be sure so we aren't buying anything and finding out that we can't take it on board....just to be safe, I won't bring anything.

Why the "geeze?"

Just because I said "it's not complicated?"

If this offended you I apologize but to me that's not a put down.

Why the "geeze?"

Just because I said "it's not complicated?"

If this offended you I apologize but to me that's not a put down.

It's alright...probably just my pregnancy hormones getting the best of me....:o

Their FAQ was a little murky. Regarding soda, it said guests aren't allowed to bring non-alcoholic drinks. Later it said bottles and containers would be inspected and alcohol would be confiscated. But they DIDN'T say soda would be confiscated.

I'll be traveling with a diabetic person and thought it might be wise to pack a can or 2 of soda, to have in case of emergency.

Or you can spend $1.50 an buy one onboard. :rolleyes:

I drink a lot of water and always have a bottle close. Even though it's our first cruise, I'm taking a case of bottled water (mainly for convenience) and slap a luggage tag on it.

Best I can tell, all they can do is say 'No Mark' and keep my water.

Isn't it ironic though, that all of this to do or not do to discussion is over water,

while we're out on water. :)

Just sayin.........

I think the complication and the confusion arises because the written policy says no, passengers cannot bring soda/water on board but the rule is only enforced in some ports. I have not had any problem in Port Canaveral or Tampa but I have heard some ports confiscate water or soda. As many others have said, "try it, if they take your water it is only a few dollars."

Acan of soda will run about $2.50 (including the 15% tip)...they are readily available on the ship. Water is available everywhere....and it's fine to drink! After all, the food, beverages and ice are made with ship's water.

I drink a lot of water and always have a bottle close. Even though it's our first cruise, I'm taking a case of bottled water (mainly for convenience) and slap a luggage tag on it.

Best I can tell, all they can do is say 'No Mark' and keep my water.

Isn't it ironic though, that all of this to do or not do to discussion is over water,

while we're out on water. :)

Just sayin.........

There is always ice water available outside the Windjammer in several locations. You just fill a glass and pour it into your water bottle. I .just got off the Serenade last week and that's what we did the entire cruise. :)

Hubby and I just bought the Brita bottles with the filters in it...so that's what we're going to use, seems more convenient (I hope) :D as for soda....well, I guess I can survive a couple weeks without it :rolleyes:

A friend of ours said that you can only have 3 ounces of any liquid in your carry on when boarding the ship on embarkation day.

This first time cruiser must have missed that lil pearl.

Is that true? And if so, where are there other carry on limitations I can read about ahead of time so that we don't look like complete idiots.

Serenade of the Seas.

Thanks.

As the others have said the 3 ounce rule is only on an airplane and only in your carryon. You can still pack bottles of shampoo, etc in your checked luggage.

There is no restriction for bringing bottles of shampoo and other personal items on the ship.

There is always ice water available outside the Windjammer in several locations. You just fill a glass and pour it into your water bottle. I .just got off the Serenade last week and that's what we did the entire cruise. :)

DH and I drink a lot of water at home. I always have a water bottle sitting next to me. I have collapsible water bottles for traveling. We always ask our cabin steward to keep the ice bucket full. I put the ice in my water bottle, fill up the bottle with water and good to go. Ice when it melts remember, is chilled water....viola again. The frig in the room, to me, doesn't keep things 'cold enough' (JMO).

In the WJ, I get a glass of ice water, and fill up my bottle. I keep doing it all throughout the day. Lets not forget that periodically I am back in my cabin as well.

I would not waste the space carrying on board a case of water....but that is just me.

We are not huge soda drinkers. If we wanted an occasional soda, we would buy it.....or buy the soda package if you are a huge consumer of soda. That is what our friend did, and for him, it was a worthwhile investment.