Copenhagen Denmark Cruise Terminal

ISLANDFAN

According to Princess Cruises, the Jun 25th sailing is leaving from Oceankaj (ocean Quay) and the address is 100 Osterbro Pier No: 330- 334

Copenhagen, Denmark. I purchased Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports and it is an amazing book as well as things to see, a walking tour for the major sites and what to do if you miss the ship. It outlines how to get from each dock into the city and vice versa. According to the book the bigger ships all start/finish at Frihavnen Port and there are three main piers with a forth that is more than a 10 minute walk to the gate like the other three. Well worth picking up if you are going to see some of the cities yourself like me (I am too cheap to give them all that money). I too am in the process of booking with Alla but the comfort tour.

I think Steves' book is out of date as Oceankaj is new and is much further from the pier entrance. Also there was construction that made the walk much further than ten minutes to the Sunkaj c245 pier. I would strongly recommend a cab or Princess transfer unless a shuttle is provided to Oceankaj. Expensive, but there were very tired people dragging luggage and they had a long way to go as we passed them in our taxi. See my port photo in post 18. Edited by IECalCruiser

I think Steves' book is out of date as Oceankaj is much further from the pier entrance. Also there was construction that made the walk much further than ten minutes. I would recommend a cab or Princess transfer. Expensive, but there were very tired people dragging luggage and they had a long way to go as we passed them in our taxi. See my port photo in post 18.
Our hotel (Hotel Bethel) has given someone from our roll call the name of a taxi service to call. They have vans that can take up to eight people to the port. Sharing will save us all some money.

The Rick Steves' book is a first edition and was published in August 2013. It does mention the construction around the port and building a new terminal.
It may have been published on August of 2013 and may mention construction around the port. Just stating that as of our June 2013 cruise the travel timing would be much more than 10 minutes and on uneven surfaces. Based upon what we saw there, IMHO his information is incorrect and misleading. I have Rick Steeves' books, videos, podcasts and his Civita daypack. He just got it wrong here. Check out Danish Viking on the Copenhagen Baltic Ports of Call thread for more current information.

If you do not have too much luggage to handle by yourselves, take the train from Malmo to Copenhagen and the subway to a stop about 3 blocks from the cruise terminal.

There is an elevator at the train stop near the cruise terminal you can use with your luggage.

We did this a few years ago and saved a fortune versus any other method of travel. The train over the bridge from Malmo into Copenhagen is very interesting. You should check to see if there is a train stop near the pier you will be leaving from. There should be a nearby spot to grab a taxi that you can use to get to the pier. We took a train to the Nordhavn stop and walked from there (it's farther than it looks on the map, but it was a level walk) but we had easy rolling luggage and we're nuts. Edited by taxatty

• 3 weeks later...
We are deeply into planning our two days in Copenhagen prior to our June 25th sailing. We are staying in Malmo Sweden, across the strait from Copenhagen (CPH) and need to determine our transportation to the port.

Gleaning a lot of valuable information from the CC board including which tour groups to hire (Alla Tours) and what to see in CPH.

While this will be our most extensive vacation ever, we don't want to go crazy with a hectic itinerary. So, a little pre-planning is called for. If anyone has any suggestions on where to go and what to see,(a little off topic) please post.

Islandfan

Islandfan,

Where are you staying in Malmo? We just got reservations at the Marriott the day before the cruise, and for 3 days after the cruise. I am trying to figure out how to get to the cruise port from Malmo.

Thanks,

Terri

Islandfan,

Where are you staying in Malmo? We just got reservations at the Marriott the day before the cruise, and for 3 days after the cruise. I am trying to figure out how to get to the cruise port from Malmo.

Thanks,

Terri

We are headed to CPH two days prior to our cruise. I travel for business and have accumulated enough Marriott certificates for two rooms for two nights at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel near Lilla Torg in Malmo. Trip Advisor rates this hotel as one of the best in Sweden. The Marriott in CPH was not available for the dates we needed.

Our plans are to take the direct train from the airport to Malmo, drop off our luggage and check in if we can. Then it's back across the straight to CPH. Plan to spend the bulk of our two days in CPH. However what I have read about Malmo, I am sure we will enjoy our evenings there.

To answer your original question, we have Princess transfers from the airport as we want to make it easy for our trip back home. So we are going to take the direct train from Malmo back to the airport on the day we embark on the Royal Princess and take the Princess transfer to the ship. You can take the train from Malmo to central station in CPH, then one to Nyhven. From there it should be a easy taxi ride or walk to the ship and vice versa.

I will say that on the Europe - Northern Europe & Baltics forum, you can access a wonderful post from Danish viking titled Wonderful Copenhagen. She is an incredible resource for your visit. My wife is in charge of planing that portion of the cruise and has gleaned valuable information from her.

Happy travels!

Islandfan

This map shows the locations of piers c245 and c330. c245 was used by the Emerald in 2013 and c330 will apparently be used by the Royal in 2014. I have also marked the nearest metro stop. Hopefully there will be a shuttle from c330 to the entrance to the pier area.

L2N5WpCTGdDQPbiB4XuvYemDBwjC5jZRrc3tqfznMns=w501-h603-no

We are on the TA into Copenhagen in April. This is the info Princess has provided us:

Oceankaj (ocean Quay)

100 Osterbro

Pier No: 330- 334

Copenhagen, Denmark

That would be the pier identified as 330 on the photo above. It is the most northern of all of the piers in Copenhagen. You can take taxis from pier, Princess shuttle bus or public Bus #26.

Sweden is almost cashless these days! Possibly more so than any other country on earth.

There are several credit card companies in the US that do have a chip system available-some have a high annual fee,some may not. I would also look into finding a card that has the chip AND no foreign transaction fees-there are many of those at least!

Have a wonderful trip.

You were very smart to book a private tour in St. Petersburg!

The black Marriott VISA card from Chase has chip and pin, and has no foreign transaction fees either.

TXDisneyCruiser,

I now see that you are booked on the same cruise. Sorry, didn't notice you were on the meet and mingle prior to answering your post.

Islandfan

Not a problem.

Sounds like we will be at the same hotel for at least one night, as we are arriving the day before the cruise. We are spending 3 days in Copenhagen at the end of the cruise, and have reservations at the same hotel for those nights.

We are still doing our research for excursions and the days in Copenhagen.

Thanks,

Terri

Thank you for providing us with the port information. It will be a real help.

We have a chip and signature credit card with no foreign transaction fees, so I called the card company and this is what the operator told me.

Chip and pin cards are used all over Europe as we know. In the USA credit card companies have yet to roll out with a chip and pin card. A chip and signature card will be accepted with no problem in stores, hotels, etc. as you will be asked to sign a receipt. However automated machines cause a problem as you are required to enter a pin number. The credit card representative provided me with a default pin number that can be used in this situation. The pin number can only be used for purchases from a automated machine. She indicated that there has been no problems with this type of transaction in Europe.

If you have encountered problems with at pin and signature card in Europe, please drop us a post.

Thanks again,

Islandfan

Andrews Federal Credit Union in Maryland (Andrews AFB) offers a chip and pin card with no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, and cash advances are treated like a charge, not a cash advance. Well worth checking out. Got one for our July cruise from Copenhagen on RP.

Edited by jcarlisle

The black Marriott VISA card from Chase has chip and pin, and has no foreign transaction fees either.
I have one and it is a chip and signature card, not a chip and pin card. Except for automated purchases such as at a train station ticket machine, most places on our Baltic cruise last year had charge terminals that had a card slot to swipe typical US credit cards, a slot of chip and signature cards and a slot for chip and pin cards. We used the Marriott cards almost everywhere.

I have one and it is a chip and signature card, not a chip and pin card. Except for automated purchases such as at a train station ticket machine, most places on our Baltic cruise last year had charge terminals that had a card slot to swipe typical US credit cards, a slot of chip and signature cards and a slot for chip and pin cards. We used the Marriott cards almost everywhere.

I just got a pin from them for mine. So I assumed it had changed from chip and signature to chip and pin. As long as it works one way or the other.

The Marriott Black Credit Card is a chip and signature Visa.The Marriott card does not charge Foreign Exchange Fees. I called Chase and they explained that you can use in automated machines at railway stations, etc. by using the default pin 0000.

The operator also explained that we should be able to use our card elsewhere with a signature. Since we will be taking a little cash with us for incidentals, I do not have any concerns with this card.

• 3 weeks later...
This map shows the locations of piers c245 and c330. c245 was used by the Emerald in 2013 and c330 will apparently be used by the Royal in 2014. I have also marked the nearest metro stop. Hopefully there will be a shuttle from c330 to the entrance to the pier area.

Does anyone know where the terminal for Qceankaj c330 is located? If we take a taxi to c330 or if we walk from the bus stop for bus 26 to c330, we need to go to the terminal for c330, not the pier itself. Where on the map might the terminal for Oceankaj be?

Does anyone know where the terminal for Qceankaj c330 is located? If we take a taxi to c330 or if we walk from the bus stop for bus 26 to c330, we need to go to the terminal for c330, not the pier itself. Where on the map might the terminal for Oceankaj be?
The pier and the terminal are the same, where the c330 is on the map. The Emerald was using Sundkaj, c245 last summer. That was a long way to walk and c330 would be much further. I would strongly recommend against walking. Taxis and the Princess shuttles drop you off at the pier and I would assume that is the same for Oceankaj, c330. The "terminal" for c245 was a very large tent structure and probably had seating for 400+ inside. At least last year at c245, you went through security, were assigned a boarding group number and directed to that group's seating area. When your group was called, you went up to the check-in desk and then right onto the ship.

Check out the Wonderful Copenhagen thread by Danish Viking on the Ports of Call forum. It is a great source for information