Copenhagen Denmark Cruise Terminal

ISLANDFAN

We are deeply into planning our two days in Copenhagen prior to our June 25th sailing. We are staying in Malmo Sweden, across the strait from Copenhagen (CPH) and need to determine our transportation to the port.

Gleaning a lot of valuable information from the CC board including which tour groups to hire (Alla Tours) and what to see in CPH.

While this will be our most extensive vacation ever, we don't want to go crazy with a hectic itinerary. So, a little pre-planning is called for. If anyone has any suggestions on where to go and what to see,(a little off topic) please post.

Islandfan

When we sailed on the Emerald Princess for our Baltic cruise in 2012, it was the largest ship at that time to dock in Copenhagen and we departed from Norhavn. It was NOT close to anything within walking distance-just 1 or 2 tiny sheds with souvenirs and the waiting area was very unpleasant-we were glad it was not raining as we were outside for a bit of time.

You are not going to be at the pier that is close to the Little Mermaid either-that pier has a lot more access to restaurants,shops,etc.

When we took the Princess transfer back to the airport,the driver said that very soon there would be a LOT of construction starting in that area and he was anticipating really bad traffic delays to/from the airport so you may want to take that into account!

Since the Royal and Regal are even bigger than the Emerald, I am going to guess they will dock at that pier as well!

The Baltic cruise was our best and favorite ever. I hope to return again to Sweden especially as I have many friends in Stockholm.

ISLAND FAN:

We are sailing the Baltics/Scandinavia on Royal Princess in late summer, and Princess told us we will be docked at Flex Terminal, Pier 245 (~ ½ hr to airport) in Copenhagen.

I went over to the "Northern Europe & Baltics" ports of call section (under "Europe") and asked where this pier is located in the "Wonderful Copenhagen" thread.

Danish viking, who has a wealth of great information, answered my inquiry (page 63, post #1245) with a photo link:

The cruise terminal is here.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?q=Sundka...+Nordhavn&z=16

I plan on confirming the location with Princess again as we get closer to the cruise. Hope this helps.

nisky

When we sailed on the Emerald Princess for our Baltic cruise in 2012, it was the largest ship at that time to dock in Copenhagen and we departed from Norhavn. It was NOT close to anything within walking distance-just 1 or 2 tiny sheds with souvenirs and the waiting area was very unpleasant-we were glad it was not raining as we were outside for a bit of time.

You are not going to be at the pier that is close to the Little Mermaid either-that pier has a lot more access to restaurants,shops,etc.

When we took the Princess transfer back to the airport,the driver said that very soon there would be a LOT of construction starting in that area and he was anticipating really bad traffic delays to/from the airport so you may want to take that into account!

Since the Royal and Regal are even bigger than the Emerald, I am going to guess they will dock at that pier as well!

The Baltic cruise was our best and favorite ever. I hope to return again to Sweden especially as I have many friends in Stockholm.

That's the port we sailed from on the TA in the fall of 2012. I agree that it's not near anything. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza near the airport so we took the hotel shuttle back to the airport and got the Princess shuttle to the port.

Edited by FritzG

Last year we cruised on the Emerald Princess from Copenhagen to NYC and spent a few days pre-cruise in Copenhagen. During that time we took a train to Malmo but there was a challenge: the rail people required a credit card with a chip and PIN! We were able to use a debit card instead.

We had the same problem in Malmo - no cards with a chip and PIN. US Banks should be getting wise about this.

Just sayin...

BTW - we really enjoyed Copenhagen, especially the tour of Carlsberg.

Sweden is almost cashless these days! Possibly more so than any other country on earth.

There are several credit card companies in the US that do have a chip system available-some have a high annual fee,some may not. I would also look into finding a card that has the chip AND no foreign transaction fees-there are many of those at least!

Have a wonderful trip.

You were very smart to book a private tour in St. Petersburg!

We sailed on the Emerald for our Baltic cruise in 2013. Sunkaj, 245, was the pier. There was a very large tent with plenty of waiting space. The pier is in the middle of nowhere. There was construction at the pier area last year and we had about 45 minutes waiting time added to our cab fare. They are apparently in the process of building a new terminal at Norhavn that is still more remote. Don't know when that will open. Danish Viking is a great source of information!

There are several credit card companies in the US that do have a chip system available-some have a high annual fee,some may not. I would also look into finding a card that has the chip AND no foreign transaction fees-there are many of those at least!

The no-annual-fee RCCL credit card from Bank of America has chip/PIN, but does have the foreign exchange fee.

We are staying in Malmo Sweden, across the strait from Copenhagen (CPH) and need to determine our transportation to the port.

If you do not have too much luggage to handle by yourselves, take the train from Malmo to Copenhagen and the subway to a stop about 3 blocks from the cruise terminal.

There is an elevator at the train stop near the cruise terminal you can use with your luggage.

I found this about Port in Copenhagen:

Down Town: Quay c177=Ndr. Toldbod, c190 to c199 = Langelinie

Cph. Freport: Quay c252+c254=Orientkaj c266=Levantkaj,

Nordhavn c330 to c334=Oceankaj

I did a google searchon ships in port Copenhagen 2014 found a link to 2014 list.

All 2014 summer months Royal Princess is at berth C330, which appears to be Nordhavn

The no-annual-fee RCCL credit card from Bank of America has chip/PIN, but does have the foreign exchange fee.

I got a chuckle out of that with the card being RCCL's but I may look into it, thanks..seriously it would be nice if the US got chip and pin cards...read that the issue with the stolen Target card numbers would not have been such a problem if our cards had chips and pins...assume the banks and CC companies don't want to spend the money...less expensive to deal with the fraud??!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I got a chuckle out of that with the card being RCCL's..seriously it would be nice if the US got chip and pin cards...read that the issue with the stolen Target card numbers would not have been such a problem if our cards had chips and pins...assume the banks and CC companies don't want to spend the money...less expensive to deal with the fraud??!

Lots more cards are becoming available with chip and pin. Citibank now has quite a few. I'm sure there are other banks too.

Most US retailers do not yet have the readers for the "chipped" cards, they only support the magnetic stripe which chipped cards have as well. That's the reason for the slow introduction here in the US. However, we used our first "chipped" card down under a couple of months ago - that was "way cool."

Will sailing on The Royal Princess this summer departing out of Copenhagen Denmark. Would anyone know which pier (address) Royal Princess will be docked?

Islandfan

Port schedule is here http://www1.cmport.com/en/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/cruise-list-2013

Looks like Royal Princess is using c330 primarily which is further north from the other piers at Freeport Terminal. Lots of info with google maps of the piers and walking directions at cruiseportwiki dot com

Thank you for providing us with the port information. It will be a real help.

We have a chip and signature credit card with no foreign transaction fees, so I called the card company and this is what the operator told me.

Chip and pin cards are used all over Europe as we know. In the USA credit card companies have yet to roll out with a chip and pin card. A chip and signature card will be accepted with no problem in stores, hotels, etc. as you will be asked to sign a receipt. However automated machines cause a problem as you are required to enter a pin number. The credit card representative provided me with a default pin number that can be used in this situation. The pin number can only be used for purchases from a automated machine. She indicated that there has been no problems with this type of transaction in Europe.

If you have encountered problems with at pin and signature card in Europe, please drop us a post.

Thanks again,

Islandfan

We sailed on the Emerald for our Baltic cruise in 2013. Sunkaj, 245, was the pier. There was a very large tent with plenty of waiting space. The pier is in the middle of nowhere. There was construction at the pier area last year and we had about 45 minutes waiting time added to our cab fare. They are apparently in the process of building a new terminal at Norhavn that is still more remote. Don't know when that will open. Danish Viking is a great source of information!
This map shows the locations of piers c245 and c330. c245 was used by the Emerald in 2013 and c330 will apparently be used by the Royal in 2014. I have also marked the nearest metro stop. Hopefully there will be a shuttle from c330 to the entrance to the pier area.

L2N5WpCTGdDQPbiB4XuvYemDBwjC5jZRrc3tqfznMns=w501-h603-no

Last year we cruised on the Emerald Princess from Copenhagen to NYC and spent a few days pre-cruise in Copenhagen. During that time we took a train to Malmo but there was a challenge: the rail people required a credit card with a chip and PIN! We were able to use a debit card instead.

We had the same problem in Malmo - no cards with a chip and PIN. US Banks should be getting wise about this.

Just sayin...

BTW - we really enjoyed Copenhagen, especially the tour of Carlsberg.

Two years ago I experienced the same thing in another part of Europe and was glad I had (at the time) the only US credit card with a Chip & PIN - Chase British Airways Visa with no foreign transaction fees.

Since then, quite a few other banks have caught up with the rest of the world but it's amazing how few people in the US are still unaware of what they need when traveling. Thanks for reminding everyone. ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Thank you for providing us with the port information. It will be a real help.

We have a chip and signature credit card with no foreign transaction fees, so I called the card company and this is what the operator told me.

Chip and pin cards are used all over Europe as we know. In the USA credit card companies have yet to roll out with a chip and pin card. A chip and signature card will be accepted with no problem in stores, hotels, etc. as you will be asked to sign a receipt. However automated machines cause a problem as you are required to enter a pin number. The credit card representative provided me with a default pin number that can be used in this situation. The pin number can only be used for purchases from a automated machine. She indicated that there has been no problems with this type of transaction in Europe.

If you have encountered problems with at pin and signature card in Europe, please drop us a post.

Thanks again,

Islandfan

See my post above. Funny that the rep. said US banks don't have them. I've had mine for almost 2 yrs.

• 2 weeks later...
when we get our final papers from Princess won't they have all the specific port info on them? including closest Metro stop, etc. I certainly hope so!

I went on "My Princess" log in for our cruise and this is what I found under itinerary.

Copenhagen, Denmark

View general port information

Oceankaj (ocean Quay)

100 Osterbro

Pier No: 330- 334

Copenhagen, Denmark

Check In 1:00pm-5:00pm

I believe Royal Princess will utilize this pier for the season.

Islandfan

when we get our final papers from Princess won't they have all the specific port info on them? including closest Metro stop, etc. I certainly hope so!

I am not sure if you have cruised recently. I do not think there is such a thing as "final papers" from Princess any longer. It is all self serve from the Princess.com website and your cruise personalizer. I do miss the days of looking forward to getting "Cruise Docs" :)

I have even experienced the incorrect port listed on the Princess website in Sydney. It was really inconvenient as I had purposely booked a hotel within walking distance to the port listed and could even see it from the hotel. I ended up having to pay a hefty taxi fare to get to the other dock :confused:

Edited by hpeabody

According to Princess Cruises, the Jun 25th sailing is leaving from Oceankaj (ocean Quay) and the address is 100 Osterbro Pier No: 330- 334

Copenhagen, Denmark. I purchased Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports and it is an amazing book as well as things to see, a walking tour for the major sites and what to do if you miss the ship. It outlines how to get from each dock into the city and vice versa. According to the book the bigger ships all start/finish at Frihavnen Port and there are three main piers with a forth that is more than a 10 minute walk to the gate like the other three. Well worth picking up if you are going to see some of the cities yourself like me (I am too cheap to give them all that money). I too am in the process of booking with Alla but the comfort tour.

Edited by cdnphotogirl
Added more information

Do you mean your Travel Summary? You'll find that in your Personalizer under "My Princess" on the website. You print out your own documents, including luggage tags. That's been the case for many years. It does not include maps or any port details other than the pier address for embarkation. The night before each port, you'll receive a port guide which will have a map of the area, stores, local representative information, etc.