Tahiti in Dec -- Learned it's the Rainy Season ??

delraydoll

Yikes, already booked on the LA-Papeete cruise and have discovered that Dec is one of the wetest months altho' it's great weather for the 4 Hawaiian islands. Did anyone go on the 2013 cruise (assuming there was one). Comments re your weather would be appreciated, realizing no one knows for sure what a year will bring!

Yikes, already booked on the LA-Papeete cruise and have discovered that Dec is one of the wetest months altho' it's great weather for the 4 Hawaiian islands. Did anyone go on the 2013 cruise (assuming there was one). Comments re your weather would be appreciated, realizing no one knows for sure what a year will bring!

My wife and I are also booked on this cruise and we're not worried. Here's a website showing weather data for Tahiti since 1999 for December. (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/NTAA/2014/12/1/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=31&monthend=12&yearend=2014&req_city=Papeete&req_state=&req_statename=French+Polynesia) Some months are rainier than others so it's hard to say what kind of weather we'll encounter. Remember, though, that tropical rainstorms tend to be of short duration and may not occur where and when you're out and about.

Hope this helps.

I was in Tahiti in Jan 2013 and I heard that 2012 was the rainiest December ever. It even rained a lot in January and February when we were there especially in Moorea.

I have been another time in December and had decent weather with occasional showers.

Regarding the Oceania Marina in February - they had to miss ports like Moorea because they were too large and had difficulty entering the lagoon. Granted it was a windy day and night but the Paul Gauguin had no problem entering the lagoon though it chose to stay in the open waters during the night since the winds were high.

Edited by Emdee

My experience in the Tropics is that December tends to be in the cool/wet cycle but it is drier than Nov or January and cooler.

In Bangkok the "winter" with temperatures down to 80F is usually a couple weeks in mid-December.

We are booked in December for Tahiti to Tahiti cruise. I have been told that it will be hot and humid but have not heard about a lot of rain. The weather has been so unpredictable this year that is hard to tell. Hopefully, we'll have nice days. I'm so looking forward to this cruise.