Can you cancel your cruise and rebook after its paid for

plunker

Our travel agent booked us on the Ruby Feb 10-15th. The price we were given matched the price of the princess website and was the same as other websites i checked for 2 inside cabins. I checked some other travel websites today and the price came down 30 dollars per person plus you get a 50 dollar on board credit per cabin. Could we cancel now and book with the travel website i found or are we stuck now? Its not that much money (about 220 dollars with the on board credits) but every little bit helps. I contacted our travel agent but havent heard back from her yet.

The short answer is no. While you could in reality do it, you would not gain anything because the cancellation penalties would be greater than any savings.

If a price drops, sometimes you can get onboard credit, an upgrade, or some other consideration; however, if you simply find a better price somewhere else there isn't much you can do about it.

If the cruise price is dropped, many times your OBC will be dropped too. So if you have to pay a cancellation fee to the agent and the OBC amount drops, you might not want to do anything. Call your agent and ask. No harm.

We did this once a week after we made final payment and our agent charged a service charge and just "renamed" the booking. We did not lose any money to Princess. DOn't know what exactly she was able to do, but we kept our room, reduced the obc a bit, but we got a check from the TA for about $300. BUT....we also are frequent travelers and are loyal to this agent. So we might have rec'd special attention.

Edited by eandj

If you cancel and want to re-book, you will get a refund based on the refund schedule. What is not refunded, you can submit to your insurance for a credit if you have "cancel for any reason" insurance. I did this last April after paying for a B2B; I decided to cancel the 2nd cruise after making final payment. I received a refund of a portion and I submitted the remainder to my insurance for a credit less the cost of insurance.

This is from a Cruise Critic article on cancellation policies:

ImageUploadedByForums1388877018.166535.jpg.43849f8de0fb9c020f40ab923cc5e6d8.jpg