TransAtl/TransPacif Timing

rubinstein2r

I couldn't find a transatlantic or transpacific category so if this question belongs elsewhere please let me know and I will repost:

We are considering either a Transatlantic or Transpacific cruise. Transatlantic would be November between FLL and Canary Islands, Spain, Morocco and Italy. Transpacific would be April or May between Vancouver and Russia, Japan/Korea.

What should we expect in terms of weather for either of these cruises? With all those sea days we don't want to be going when it is too cold to be outside.

Have not sailed a transpacific, but have completed 8 transatlantics. Out last this past November on the Navigator of the Seas.

Weather from Europe to the U.S. has always been beautiful and warm as they sail a southern route. We have crossed in November and December.

This past cruise found it very warm in the Med (7 day prior to TA) and a very warm crossing. Never even needed a light jacket. In fact, put all the cool weather clothes away as they were never worn.

Our coldest weather us when we arrived home to Galveston - BRRR:eek:

I would venture to guess a transpacific crossing in April or May would still see some cool, if not cold, weather.

Transatlantic would be November between FLL and Canary Islands, Spain, Morocco and Italy.

---

In the Atlantic in November,it will start off warm. By the time you get to the Canary Islands it will have cooled some; Fall like weather could be 50-70F.

Out of curiosity, which ship are you looking at? Most Transatlantic cruises in Nov. do the reverse itinerary to reposition from the Med to the Caribbean for winter.

Aloha,

John

I have taken an Eastbound TA via Azores in April, and a Westbound TA via Bermuda in November. I will say that the weather was much better on those than on my two Southampton to NY voyages (May and August) but not remotely resembling Summer. The main obstacle to sitting on your balcony will not be the temperature but the wind. The Captain will do his best to steer the ship around the worst windy patches but it is impossible to miss them all. On one TA out of Miami they tried to hold a poolside BBQ lunch; the sweater-weather temperature was not a deterrent, but the flying cups, cutlery and napkins were.

And as for the Northern-route Transpacific: there have been several live-from blogs that reported snow on the deck. April/May can still be wintry in Vladivostock and Hokkaido Island.

Edited by fishywood

I couldn't find a transatlantic or transpacific category so if this question belongs elsewhere please let me know and I will repost:

We are considering either a Transatlantic or Transpacific cruise. Transatlantic would be November between FLL and Canary Islands, Spain, Morocco and Italy. Transpacific would be April or May between Vancouver and Russia, Japan/Korea.

What should we expect in terms of weather for either of these cruises? With all those sea days we don't want to be going when it is too cold to be outside.

REVERSE those cruises and you will have much better weather.

Take the Transpacific OUT of Vancouver in September. It will just be starting to cool off into late Fall/Winter type weather. I am in Alaska every year for business between Sept 10-15 and while the weather is cool (40-50's), it is generally not COLD. We were in Vladivostok in September and it was much warmer than I thought it would be-about 58F. In April-you will be heading out of winter. There will still be a lot of snow in Alaska, it could very cold and drizzly, it could even snow. Late April/May snow storms are not unusual in the least in that part of the world.

And November from Florida TO Europe (are there even any TA's other than maybe on Cunard ships going that way?) you are heading into WINTER weather. At least late fall. SO it will get cooler and cooler after you leave Florida.

I don't believe there are any trans Atlantics out of Florida in November. What there is are trans Atlantics that come from Europe to the US in a repositioning cruise. If you want to start in the US, the trans Atlantics start in Florida and reposition to Europe, starting in April.

As for trans Pacifics, again you're thinking backwards. Those cruises start in late September and are finished by October. Trans Pacifics in April or May are coming back to the US from cruising in Asia or Australia and they're repositioning back to start the Alaska and California cruises. The only trans Pacific cruises that I'm aware of are usually in January, and are mostly part of world cruises, and those tend to start in Los Angeles.

Edited by kitty9

These cruises sound different than most common available cruises (except Cunard to/from NY), which travel from Europe to North America in the fall and from North America to Asia in the spring - the opposite direction than you described.

I think the northern Pacific cruise would be cold, but a wonderful experience. I've been looking at the reverse direction trip (eastbound) in 2015. The weather on transoceanic cruises can be unpredictable, so I wouldn't make a decision based on the expected weather -- I think of the unpredictable weather as part of the adventure of a transoceanic cruise.

One thing you might want to consider in addition to (or instead of) weather is time change - traveling eastbound you'll lose an hour most days, excepting when you cross the international date line, of course.

Most eastbound trans-Atlantics are in April and May as lines re-position for summer Med season. HAL's Maasdam does sail Oct 31 from Fort Lauderdale to Rome - but that is a real exception. The Atlantic between Florida and Gibraltar in the Fall retains summer warmth - ideal cruising weather. Spring eastbounds are pretty chilly.

I realize I should have been MUCH more clear and specific. There are three Celebrity Cruises I am currently looking at for either 2014 or 2015. The Three Continent Transatlantic Cruise goes in November from Rome to FLL on the Constellation. The Japan Jubilee cruise goes in September from Vancouver to Yokohama on the Millennium. The other Transpacific (I think it is just called Transpacific, no catchy name) is in May from Tokyo to Vancouver. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I realize I should have been MUCH more clear and specific. There are three Celebrity Cruises I am currently looking at for either 2014 or 2015. The Three Continent Transatlantic Cruise goes in November from Rome to FLL on the Constellation. The Japan Jubilee cruise goes in September from Vancouver to Yokohama on the Millennium. The other Transpacific (I think it is just called Transpacific, no catchy name) is in May from Tokyo to Vancouver. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

You have the correct direction of the cruises now. Europe to FLL in November, the Transpacific in September. It will be quite cold if you take the Transpacific in May.

There is another consideration when planning a TA. We've done one going East to Europe and three going West to the U.S. It you head East you lose one hour a day for the first six or so days. That means by he sixth day you are having dinner at about 1:oopm body time. That is a bummer. Go West and you can add an hour a day to happy hour. Cheers.....

There is another consideration when planning a TA. We've done one going East to Europe and three going West to the U.S. It you head East you lose one hour a day for the first six or so days. That means by he sixth day you are having dinner at about one p.m. body time. That is a bummer. Go West and you can add an hour a day to happy hour. Cheers.....

I am looking at that Three Continent on Celebrity for 2015 also. Just waiting for availability. :)