Could you do a World Cruise?

Lauranne

Such diverse opinions. This has given me a lot to think about. I imagine that I would miss my children terribly and by the time we might consider such a voyage there may be grandchildren. We have done 30 day vacations with our kids with us. I guess we will have to go away for longer periods to see how we and they cope.

The initial appeal for me to cruise for that long would be there but when I start to think about it further the numerous sea days could get tiring. The room to me is going to start feeling small after so many days, and having the same routine of food in the MDR, buffet, and room service could get a little old. I would start thinking about the simple things as missing my Costco stocked garage refrigerator at home where I can easily grab a Crystal Geyser water, whereas on the ship, I need to go out and order it. Or watching a football game in the comforts of pajamas on a big screen television at home on my couch with my dogs.

When I'm on a cruise, I'm also in "active" mode of being excited to explore ports and am willing to do long bus/train rides from the port to see sites if need be. I don't know if I could keep that energy up for 50+ days.

I've only done 10 days as a max, and when I get off the ship I'm itching I had a few days more.. Don't know how I would feel if I were getting off the ship and having the feeling of I'm ready to go home mode. But as with everyone, if money were no object, it would be a fun problem to have =).

ABSOLUTELY!!! I have cruised solo for up to 35 days at a time and with my husband up to 45 days at a time, and 75 days overall - first part solo and then my husband joined, making it 75 consecutive days for me on that cruise.

Hot weather, cold weather, big cities, small islands - love it all from a travel perspective. Love visiting various and varied cultures, environments, etc. and I love meeting the wide variety of people I meet both on the ship and on shore. I also love basically wonderful crew of HAL as well along with not having to clean or wash dishes. (OK, I also like not having to cook but I do tire of the food at times.)

Why don't I - well there are so many places I enjoy going or want to go that are not appropriate for cruising. Will I do one some day, well if I get to the point where long walks, climbing hills, getting onto elephants, and such are no longer feasible - a World Cruise ail be my choice. However, I am in NO hurry to reach that point.

Edited by wander

Whenever we leave cruise brochures open to Grand Voyages, we get a letter from our cats' attorney.

That's really really funny !!!!

:D

~robin and brian~

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

scrapana--my thoughts precisely-I am lucky enough to have my health and financial ability to go--I am thinking along the lines of doing it alone if need be--

I am actually looking forward to going alone. I can do what I want, if I want, when I want. I have the whole cabin to myself (and I will surely fill up every storage space in it because I keep finding things I forgot to put on my packing list:eek:). We have also had a really active roll call and I feel like I have about 100 friends on the ship already!

I have two friends who are going through dementia related problems with loved ones. You just don't know what will happen the future holds. Putting things off is not the way for me.

In a heartbeat! And if money is no object I would fly my kids and grandkids to meet me at some port or another! We are in that portion of the boomer population who will never be able to retire.... So we do what we can as much as possible, but, oh to dream!

Oh my yes, I'd go in heartbeat. But, what always held us back was cost. We, however, would save up here and there, and then go on a 30 plus day segment. We chose the Prinsendam each time, mostly for the itinerary. I loved those trips, and really did not want to get off the ship. But then -- we just planned for another segment the following year. Yes, definitely -- would go on any World Voyage -- anywhere!!!

Marianne

Back in the 60's I spent a year on a ship with no bars, no pools, no deck chairs, no cabins, and no formal nights. Yeah you guessed it, it was the USN.

So I would have no trouble going on a world cruise as long as my liver could handle it. The DW wont go, and money is an object.

We did 43 days and thinking it may be an endurance test perhaps, ...it was anything but, and would do it again in a minute, I think perhaps some personalities may be tested, but we adapt easily, enjoy our own company or that of others, just go with the flow. Destinations are so important , and every new Port is an adventure, life long friendships are made [how much life have we got.!!!]Choose your cruise line carefully, and its wonderful...!We prefer medium size /to smaller ships , which are the world cruise ships anyway.

Enjoy...

This has been a useful thread and thanks to all - including the cat's attorney!

Our longest cruise has been 14 days and we are hoping to go on the Seattle-Singapore in Sept. We thought that going the whole way to San Diego would be too long (though as home port it is tempting - those TA flights are hard on us now). We enjoy each other and also sea days, both important things for the long cruises.

I can see preparation is key: bill paying, hair maintenance, and other important issues:)

Any tips along these lines?

• 11 months later...

Well, you have a lot to think about when the World is over. We have done

two, one on Princess and the 2014 on Amsterdam. As time goes by after the

cruise, you seem to forget the ports you were at and the tours you took. What

remains is that big hole in your bank account. Needless to say, the trip

insurance becomes a big item, the older you are the more it costs. Seeing the

same people and having the same conversations almost daily becomes quite

a tedious event. Months before the cruise you are very exited with planning

and all, but after a while, some weeks out you say "What am I doing here!"

Given all that, I must say, looking at future World Cruises starts to creep

into your mind. You can't help yourself. LOL. You reach a point where everything I said previously does not matter anymore. Show me those

ports baby, no cooking, beds made,.............sign me up again.:p

Generally speaking, I book a cruise within a week of disembarking. This last one lasted 42 days, and when I got home I booked another cruise. So, yes, I would take a long one. Great way to see the world. I like the idea of unpacking only once.:)

I am not certain that I could handle a trip that long, so I want to work my way up to it by booking longer and longer cruises.

I want to do a Voyage of the Vikings. (I don't much care for heat and humidity.)

I want to try a Grand Cruise to see if I can handle the longer cruise.

If I am successful at those, I would then book a World Cruise.

As an idea, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But practically, it seems there are a lot of things to consider, outside the price of the cruise - the planning of the trip, the planning of making sure things at home are settled, meds, insurance, etc. One thing that wears me down on cruises is constantly keeping totally picked up and organized and making sure I don't inconvenience the room stewards too much with STUFF everywhere.

I'm hoping we can cruise more over time, and I think the Grand Voyages are a great way to start, because you get to see more of a particular part of the world at a time.

But full disclosure - I've run numbers to see what the total, real cost would be and put a plan together to save for it, with milestones when we hit Grand Voyage level. So we'll see!

Great thread, and great input. I'd still have to figure out how to deal with missing football games...