Could you do a World Cruise?

Lauranne

I could do it in a heartbeat .

Like some have said we wouldn't be doing every meal in the MDR. and certainly not all those formal nights. After a while a salad or soup and sandwich would do very nicely in the lido.

Sheila , I had to laugh. The first thing I thought was how I would miss my dogs. :) The kids are grown and out doing their own thing, they will be fine. But all those days without my puppies :(

Cruised up to 87 days. Once I retire would like to go again if finances are there. Have started savings fund for this a couple of years ago.

The thing about extended cruises is that you get into a rhythm after a few days. A routine if you will. It is not go, go go all the time.

I honestly don't know. The thought of it is wonderful (and if $$ was no object, even more wonderful) :D But in actuality I think I'd be happier on a grand voyage, something about half the length.

I've been thinking about a world cruise, but have pretty much come to the same conclusion. On occasion I've been away from home for several months at a time, but that's on dry land and within reach of a GOOD WiFi signal (I tend to suffer from "internet addictive disorder"). :-)

Not sure I could make it for over 100 days, especially with a number of ports or destinations that I'm not that excited about. But the idea of a grand voyage of 40 - 60 days, going to parts of the world I'm especially interested in, sounds about right. :-)

I'm not sure whether or not I could cruise for that long a period. I would have to like the itinerary. I know I could do some of the Grand Cruises that circle the pacific, or South America.

But I just do not like the itineraries the World Cruise offers. Too much hovering along the equator, and spending time in hot/humid ports. I would like some places in which to cool off for a while, then maybe I could go that long.

I'll never know.

At this point in our lives, no, but who can say what the future will bring. We love cruising but we are still in the discovery stages of finding out what we like and don't like. Right now we discovered that we are itching to get off after 7 days, so I could not imagine spending 100+ days on a ship.

It's fun though to learn more about ourselves and what we like and don't like about cruising. We met with a new TA yesterday and we are now excited about trying different itineraries and cruise lines. Never say never.

Nice to dream about it, but in reality, a world cruise is too long to be away from home. Our longest cruise so far was our October Collector cruise, 7 day W. Med., along with TA. DH found the sea days at the end of the cruise a bit too long.

While we've been away on trips lasting up to 59 days, we like to mix it up, some cruise and some land time, all in one trip. It's easy to do when planning Europe as a destination.

Another consideration is the cost of out of country health and trip cancellation insurance. While we're lucky to have free out of country health coverage, the limit is 60 days.

In my mid 60s and I think I am ready to seriously consider one--however wife does not seem interested-I would seriously consider doing it myself-maybe first we would need to try a 30 day cruise--Been on about 20 cruises but longest was 12 days--and only one of them on HAL.

Would probably consider a better line like crystal.

I am impressed by people who go year after year--not sure if I would go stir crazy after a while--I certainly would not want to consider formal wear on a world cruise and one of the issues I have is spending only a day or 2 in a port--

How many people travel solo on World cruises??

I've been thinking about a world cruise, but have pretty much come to the same conclusion. On occasion I've been away from home for several months at a time, but that's on dry land and within reach of a GOOD WiFi signal (I tend to suffer from "internet addictive disorder"). :-)

Not sure I could make it for over 100 days, especially with a number of ports or destinations that I'm not that excited about. But the idea of a grand voyage of 40 - 60 days, going to parts of the world I'm especially interested in, sounds about right. :-)

oh yes, good WiFi, I agree!

I'm not sure whether or not I could cruise for that long a period. I would have to like the itinerary. I know I could do some of the Grand Cruises that circle the pacific, or South America.

But I just do not like the itineraries the World Cruise offers. Too much hovering along the equator, and spending time in hot/humid ports. I would like some places in which to cool off for a while, then maybe I could go that long.

I'll never know.

Totally agree about the hot/humid ports. A lot of time and money if I don't care for a large part of the itinerary. ;)

How many people travel solo on World cruises??

I am and we have a few other solos on our roll call. I got tired of waiting for someone who had the desire, and the time, and the money. Life's too short so I decided to go alone before there was a chance I couldn't physically (or mentally) travel.

In my dreams, I would go in a heartbeat.

In reality, I would miss my sons too much to be away from them for that long. Doubt that I could ever afford it (unless I hit the lottery, and since I don't play...not going to happen).

Can still dream though.

~robin and brian~

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

As I watch our CC friends embark on a World Cruise for 113 days, I wonder if I could do the same. My DH says he couldn't be on a cruise that long but I think I could.

The only way to know for sure is to try it! :)

Some day...in my dreams...

We would love LOVE LOVE to do a world cruise!

The longest we've done is 75 days, 2012 Grand Asia & Australia Voyage. We were not ready to get off the ship when we docked!

Don't know if we ever will, though ... that's a very expensive trip ... maybe if we win the lottery, or Mr Chew ever makes the final table at one of the World Series of Poker events!

I am and we have a few other solos on our roll call. I got tired of waiting for someone who had the desire, and the time, and the money. Life's too short so I decided to go alone before there was a chance I couldn't physically (or mentally) travel.

This is the BEST attitude to have! Hope you enjoy every minute of it!

As I watch our CC friends embark on a World Cruise for 113 days, I wonder if I could do the same. My DH says he couldn't be on a cruise that long but I think I could. So my question is, Do you think you could be away for 113 days if money was no object or are of the mind similar to my husband and think that is way too long to be away from home?

We can and will in 2020 when we retire.

No, I don't think I could do any one thing for that long. I'm considering a 10-day Alaska cruise for next year, and a 14-day North Cape itinerary the year after that. Maybe by the time I retire in 10 years or so I will have worked my way up to my dream cruise, Voyage of the Vikings. Being away for 35 days seems unthinkable right now.

A resounding NO!. Hate to be away from my beautiful cat, LuLu that long. Also I'd have to go to Betty Ford clinic after the cruise since I would spend too much time in the bars due to boredom. Keep in mind I sail solo:eek:

Edited by solocanadian

I'll never know.

My thoughts exactly. All the hot humid ports don't appeal to me since I live in such a place. If there were a Northern hemisphere World Voyage it would appeal to me more. The Boyage of the Vikings really is up there on my list.

As I watch our CC friends embark on a World Cruise for 113 days, I wonder if I could do the same. My DH says he couldn't be on a cruise that long but I think I could. So my question is, Do you think you could be away for 113 days if money was no object or are of the mind similar to my husband and think that is way too long to be away from home?

Since you specify "if money is no object" then my answer is a resounding YES.

The only thing that keeps us from a world cruise is money for the fare, the HSC, and the cost of tours in many of the ports.

Our 26 day and 33 day cruises were way too short for us.

We love sea days and enjoyed a consecutive week of them plus more on the ta's we've done.

Longer cruises allow for a routine as well as getting to know many fellow passengers.

Edited by NMLady

My longest cruise to date was 14 days way back when...

We are starting to work our way up again with a 11 day Mediterranean this June. and possible 18 day Hawaii in December, then the 17 days repo from Kobe to Vancouver in 2015. I imagine I might hit the wall around 21 days myself.