Could you do a World Cruise?

Lauranne

We did the World Voyage in 2006, writing comprehensive blogs as we went. (See. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=273494 ).

I found the last third of the 105 day voyage somewhat tedious and now when I get the urge, I have only to read my lengthy account to scratch the itch and remind myself how much effort was involved in maximizing the experience. No thanks.

The best part was the friends we made who have remained close almost a decade later.

We have done a 35 day cruise since from Auckland to Hong Kong on the Volendam which seemed even longer because of the run down equipment and the nothing ports HAL foisted on us. The quality of service is much higher on world voyages making segments attractive.

Glad we did it but never again.

We would love to do a world cruise, money is the only reason we have not done one yet. Love the sea days, all those new ports in strange lands, the experience would be some thing to remember for the rest of your life.

Allan & Marlane

Remember my DH's 1st cruise - it was 14 days and by day 10 he wanted to sweep the engine room or swab the decks. Got him to go on a 21 day cruise and he started to settle in a bit more, then it was 28 days, then 30 days. When we moved to FL, we had to write a new will and he asked - what will we do with all this money so we had to figure it out (no kids). He very quietly said - let's spend some of it and take care of the bucket list. I finally retired and we started sailing in earnest on the Grands. Figured we would get a taste of various places and find out where we would want to go back for a few days or a week. Then in 2014, we had the pleasure of the World Cruise. So now we have a new bucket list but there is just something so wonderful about cruising.

It was with a sad heart that I checked out the Port Everglades camera on the Amsterdam's sail away day and Jeff's blog - wish we were there right now. Counting the days until the 2016 WC and planning port activities as 13 new ports. Do miss the friends we made who are on the Amsterdam right now but know that many of then plus others will be there in 2016. The world is such an amazing place and there is still so much to see and experience.

Hi Lido Johnny - do understand your comments but don't you wish you were having your morning coffee out on the back deck! Maybe we will see you next year.

Edited by take us away

We enjoy having dogs, so being away for that length of time would be out of the question. Even if we didn't, as much as we enjoy cruising, we like our life at home. We are both retired and have made an interesting life for ourselves here!! I would miss my "real" life too much. I actually get tired of going to the dining room, the food and the cruiseship way of life in time. I learned that if I don't like the itinerary (doing it for DH), then I really want to go home. Iceland is the first trip where that has happened to me.

No way. Way too many sea days and too many 1 day ports.

DON

We did 23 days on a Rio to Amazon Cruise. Too many boring sea days... and too many days with rough seas. I don't like rough seas.. or even wobbly seas.

Also the ship was very cliquy.

I think our thing is river cruises.