Traveling with teenagers who are in a different room

I have booked 2 cabins on the Explorer of The Seas. Unfortunately, I could only book them about 8 rooms apart. It's three well behaved 17 year old girls. My husband is booked in one room and I'm in the other one. Obviously, I want to be with my husband and the girls want to be together. I know the girls will only be in their rooms to change and sleep. Has anyone had a problem switching rooms once on board?

Do you get charged any kind of corkage fee?

You are subject to a $25 per bottle corkage fee if you bring the bottle to a public venue, whether opened or not.

Edited by clarea

I believe the rule is one bottle of wine per 'of age' passenger. So you and your husband will each be allowed one bottle.

The rule is two bottles per stateroom, regardless of the number of guests in the stateroom.

I am told that the rule is actually 2 bottles per cabin, regardless of how many of-age adults are in it.

We also did the same booking thing with one adult and one child per cabin on the Navigator. We pan to switch one of each when on board. Good to know that guest services is used to this.

Pompeia - Was this recently? Were your rooms close to each other? Did guest services give you a hard time about the arrangement?

Just ask for an extra key to each room. Then the people who switched will have their original Sea Pass card for charging onboard purchases and for getting on and off the ship, plus the key marked "extra" to key into the cabin in which they are sleeping.

At one time, RCI used to actually switch the people in the computer and issue new sea passes, but they wouldn't do that for us on our last cruise. So, we used the extra key method.

Pompeia - Was this recently? Were your rooms close to each other? Did guest services give you a hard time about the arrangement?

We haven't done it yet but I'm told guest services is used to it. We are in cabins next to each other, but my understanding is that a distance wouldn't matter.

Friends of ours got back from a thanksgiving cruise and their teen's cabin was actually the deck below and there was no problem getting extra door keys.

Edited by Pompeia

I am told that the rule is actually 2 bottles per cabin, regardless of how many of-age adults are in it.

Correct- our daughters (12 & 14) were in an adjacent cabin to my wife and I, we brought on 4 bottles with no questions asked in December.

Edited by KAA951

We also did the same booking thing with one adult and one child per cabin on the Navigator. We pan to switch one of each when on board. Good to know that guest services is used to this.

Correct- our daughters (12 & 14) were in an adjacent cabin to my wife and I, we brought on 4 bottles with no questions asked in December.

This is incorrect. There must be an adult of legal drinking age assigned to the room as you can see by the policy below. As most of us are aware though RCI is somewhat lax at times in taking the time to check the number of bottles and match them up to passengers by cabin. You got lucky and had you been stopped they could have only allowed you to bring on 2 bottles.

Q:* Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A:* Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of the FAQ that you posted. I have removed all the "corkage" language above to keep the relevant portions.

It clearly states 2 bottles per stateroom. I booked and paid for two staterooms. It does NOT say two bottles per stateroom with guests 21 or older staying in it, nor does it say a bottle for each guest over 21 years of age. This language was not just drawn up by some sales rep- it went through the panel of RCI legal staff before it was posted. Don't read more into it than what it says.

My wife and I carried the 4 bottles on board, not my children, and I did not furnish any to them. I carefully read the rules before we boarded and followed RCI rules to the T. If we would have been questioned, I had actually printed out a copy of that same FAQ and was prepared to show it to security.

Edited by KAA951

KAA951 - did you have one adult booked in each cabin or did you bring 2 bottles for a cabin with only minors in it?[/url]

My wife and I carried 4 bottles of wine on board- no, our daughters were clearly booked together in an adjoining cabin.

As I pointed out in the post above, the policy is very clear at 2 bottles per stateroom. They did not say two bottles per stateroom with guests over 21 years old, nor did they choose to say a bottle for each guest over 21 to not exceed two per stateroom.

As long as adults are carrying it, it is within the RCI policy. Strictly letter of the law.

Edited by KAA951

I can't answer about the wine.

Guest Relations, easily, gave us each an "extra key" to the kids cabin so we could pop in and check on them at any time. I don't see why the extra key can not be your husbands actual key to your cabin and then everyone can keep their sea pass card. When I booked mine, they allowed the kids to be separate, but they have to be close (like mine were.) I tried a different configuration, a better suite but the kids across and the only cabins were too far down (about 6 rooms) and they were going to have to split my husband and I on paper. They could not guarantee that we could switch him over, once on board, and enjoy the Suite / Concierge privileges. So, we stayed in a Junior Suite where there is no different Key Card (plus the kids were across the hall anyway.) I hope that helps...or maybe I confused you more.

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of the FAQ that you posted. I have removed all the "corkage" language above to keep the relevant portions.

It clearly states 2 bottles per stateroom. I booked and paid for two staterooms. It does NOT say two bottles per stateroom with guests 21 or older staying in it, nor does it say a bottle for each guest over 21 years of age. This language was not just drawn up by some sales rep- it went through the panel of RCI legal staff before it was posted. Don't read more into it than what it says.

My wife and I carried the 4 bottles on board, not my children, and I did not furnish any to them. I carefully read the rules before we boarded and followed RCI rules to the T. If we would have been questioned, I had actually printed out a copy of that same FAQ and was prepared to show it to security.

And I guess that we will agree to disagree as it would be logical that a person for each cabin must carry on their own alcohol and guests under the age of 21 clearly are not allowed to be in possession of alcohol. As I said before RCI can be very selective in how they enforce many of their rules and I don't doubt for an instant that you were able to carry on 4 bottles I'm just saying that IMO if you were stopped by security and they took the time to check your documentation then you would be denied the 4 bottles.

It's two bottles per cabin. Because they don't allow minors to book a cabin, you have to book an adult in each cabin. So there is someone of drinking age in each cabin, and they can each bring in two bottles.

They may choose to sleep in a way that there are all teens booked in a room, but you can't book it that way. We have three kids, and my husband and I had to be booked in separate cabins, even though we slept in the same one.

It's two bottles per cabin. Because they don't allow minors to book a cabin, you have to book an adult in each cabin. So there is someone of drinking age in each cabin, and they can each bring in two bottles.

This is not true. My kids ages 16 and 13 are booked into their own cabin, adjacent to ours. There is no adult booked in that cabin. We intend to do what KAA951 did. We have two cabins booked. My husband I and I will each carry two bottles of wine. I believe this is not violating the policy.

This is not true. My kids ages 16 and 13 are booked into their own cabin, adjacent to ours. There is no adult booked in that cabin. We intend to do what KAA951 did. We have two cabins booked. My husband I and I will each carry two bottles of wine. I believe this is not violating the policy.

True. OP does not have connecting state rooms though, so they have to book an adult in each room.

True. OP does not have connecting state rooms though, so they have to book an adult in each room.

Not true on Royal. Minors can be booked in their own stateroom, without an adjult, as long as the parents or guardians are in an adjacent stateroom, or across the hall.

Not true on Royal. Minors can be booked in their own stateroom, without an adjult, as long as the parents or guardians are in an adjacent stateroom, or across the hall.

This is definitely true as we have travelled several times with minors in a separate room. In fact we almost couldn't get one booking as we left it late and they were struggling to find two cabins close enough together to allow us to book. (our kids were 17 and 14 at the time).

As regards the wine. Since we sail from the UK the drinking age is 18. On our last sailing DD was 18 and sharing with her younger brother whilst my husband and I shared another room. She took on two bottles as did we. I presumed that you would have to have an "of age" person in each cabin before you could have the wine allocation for that cabin. On my next trip I have booked 3 cabins but I wouldn't automatically assume that gave me the right to carry on 6 bottles.