1st timers - need newark hotel for pre cruise

Royjan

Hi to all

First, thanks to all the people who take the time to help others (like me...). This thread is very interresting....

Like a previous poster (Vivi9909), i'm from Montreal, Quebec and would like to have informations and your opinion.

We are book on a cruise in May that leave from Cape Liberty and we might decide to arrive the day before (not sure yet...)... For the hotels, we may use our AirMiles to book one....

They have a lot (Best Western, Holiday Inn, Doubletree by Hilton, Hilton, etc...) and our list (for now) ends up to 3, the Doubletree by Hilton Newark Airport, Hilton Newark Airport and Hilton Newark Penn Station.....

We won't leave our car at the hotel, we will park at Cape Liberty for the week....

If we take one of 2 hotel close to the airport, is there something to do at night ???? about restaurants ????

If we choose Hilton Penn Station, is it a safe area ??? i'm asking because i've read some posts saying if not really a safe area and it's scare my wife (not me... ) a bit.

Also, from the Hilton Penn Station, I was looking to take a PATH (or others transportations) and go to NY for the night ? If I do, what would you recommend to see if we go for 3-4 hours ?

I think if I use the PATH from Penn Station, I end up at One World Trade Center... For now, it's not open to public, is it plan to be accessible for public in May ???

Hope my English is not that bad... :o

If you have others suggestions, please tell me....

Thanks in advance

Jumping in here.....based on CC's advice, we have the Courtyard in Elizabeth booked for 2 days/nights before our early June cruise. We have 2 teenage daughters and are planning to do NYC exploring those 2 pre-cruise days. As I review all of our plans, I am now wondering if the Newport location actually might be a better choice for getting to/from NYC. I believe we would lose the airport shuttle upon arrival, but have easier/less expensive transportation for our sight-seeing. We will use Marriott points, so the hotels' cost difference is not an issue. What I am unsure of is whether getting to the cruise terminal is more challenging (or maybe even easier) from the Newport Courtyard.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Hi to all

First, thanks to all the people who take the time to help others (like me...). This thread is very interresting....

Like a previous poster (Vivi9909), i'm from Montreal, Quebec and would like to have informations and your opinion.

We are book on a cruise in May that leave from Cape Liberty and we might decide to arrive the day before (not sure yet...)... For the hotels, we may use our AirMiles to book one....

They have a lot (Best Western, Holiday Inn, Doubletree by Hilton, Hilton, etc...) and our list (for now) ends up to 3, the Doubletree by Hilton Newark Airport, Hilton Newark Airport and Hilton Newark Penn Station.....

We won't leave our car at the hotel, we will park at Cape Liberty for the week....

If we take one of 2 hotel close to the airport, is there something to do at night ???? about restaurants ????

If we choose Hilton Penn Station, is it a safe area ??? i'm asking because i've read some posts saying if not really a safe area and it's scare my wife (not me... ) a bit.

Also, from the Hilton Penn Station, I was looking to take a PATH (or others transportations) and go to NY for the night ? If I do, what would you recommend to see if we go for 3-4 hours ?

I think if I use the PATH from Penn Station, I end up at One World Trade Center... For now, it's not open to public, is it plan to be accessible for public in May ???

Hope my English is not that bad... :o

If you have others suggestions, please tell me....

Thanks in advance

You need a hotel for Cape Liberty. You are driving from Montreal and you are parking the car at Cape Liberty. You have air miles to use on a hotel. You want to go into NYC for the evening.

First I'd look at the Doubletree in the Newport area of Jersey City. This will give you good access to both NYC via PATH and Cape Liberty via car. You will have to pay to park here.

Second I'd look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton - you can take the NJ transit train directly from here to midtown New York or PATH to the WTC in downtown NY. You will have to pay to park here

Third I'd look at any Hilton hotel in Secaucus NJ. You can take a bus from this area into Port Authority in NYC or you can drive to Secaucus Junction Station and take the NJ Transit train. Hotel parking is free. You pay for train parking.

I would not bother staying at Newark airport.

Jumping in here.....based on CC's advice, we have the Courtyard in Elizabeth booked for 2 days/nights before our early June cruise. We have 2 teenage daughters and are planning to do NYC exploring those 2 pre-cruise days. As I review all of our plans, I am now wondering if the Newport location actually might be a better choice for getting to/from NYC. I believe we would lose the airport shuttle upon arrival, but have easier/less expensive transportation for our sight-seeing. We will use Marriott points, so the hotels' cost difference is not an issue. What I am unsure of is whether getting to the cruise terminal is more challenging (or maybe even easier) from the Newport Courtyard.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

With two precruise days, I'd rearrange to stay at the Newport Courtyard if I could. You will pay for a cab/car service to the hotel, but you have the option of taking the light rail to Bayonne for $2.10/pp plus $10-12 cab fare into the port. You will save a lot of money and time running in and out of NYC and will have the flexibility of being able to go uptown and downtown from the Newport area plus evening shopping and restaurants near the hotel in the Newport Mall (clothing bought in NJ is tax free)

The light rail is very easy if you can roll your luggage. You can decide once you see it if you want to take it or book a car service to the port.

You need a hotel for Cape Liberty. You are driving from Montreal and you are parking the car at Cape Liberty. You have air miles to use on a hotel. You want to go into NYC for the evening.

First I'd look at the Doubletree in the Newport area of Jersey City. This will give you good access to both NYC via PATH and Cape Liberty via car. You will have to pay to park here.

Second I'd look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton - you can take the NJ transit train directly from here to midtown New York or PATH to the WTC in downtown NY. You will have to pay to park here

Third I'd look at any Hilton hotel in Secaucus NJ. You can take a bus from this area into Port Authority in NYC or you can drive to Secaucus Junction Station and take the NJ Transit train. Hotel parking is free. You pay for train parking.

I would not bother staying at Newark airport.

Hi Carol

First, I saw that you just came back from a cruise, hope you had a good one....

I look at the different option you proposed... the Hilton Pen Station seems the best option of the three. Very close to the station.... i will leave my car at the hotel then take the train....

Since I never been to NY, I'm not sure what to do and where to go since I want to be there around 4 hours... Anyobne can give me suggestions ?

Thanks again Carol

• 4 weeks later...
With two precruise days, I'd rearrange to stay at the Newport Courtyard if I could. You will pay for a cab/car service to the hotel, but you have the option of taking the light rail to Bayonne for $2.10/pp plus $10-12 cab fare into the port.

The light rail is very easy if you can roll your luggage. You can decide once you see it if you want to take it or book a car service to the port.

Question re disembarkation: travelling from port to Courtyard Newport. I am debating booking car service vs. taxi to light rail, then take the light rail. There are 5 of us. Car service would be more convenient, and not that much more expensive?? Or walking from port to light rail station with roller luggage, is that plausible?

You can't walk to the light rail station.

You'd have to price a car service for five people. That could be more expensive because a larger vehicle would be required.

They run shuttle vans from the port to the light rail station. With five people you might have to pay $20. IMO if you can roll your luggage, this is an easy trip since there are no steps to get on or off the light rail. The Courtyard is close to the light rail station. The train is unlikely to be crowded if you're not trying this during the morning rush hour.

Are you staying precruise at the Courtyard? If so, you will have a chance to look at the light rail to determine if it is for you. I know my granddaughters very much enjoy riding the equivalent train in Portland Oregon.

Thanks Carol, I will get some price quotes from car service b/w Port and Courtyard at Newport.

For pre-cruise, thanks to you, I booked Courtyard Elizabeth, and will book a car service to port soon.

BTW, you also recommended our post cruise hotel - Courtyard Newport at Jersey City. I posted this advise on Trip Adv.'s NYC forum. Noone could come up with a better priced and more convenient accommodation. Mid-town hotels for 5 are all well north of $300/nt, and this Courtyard has very good rating on TA as well.

I have been researching the area a little more closely since we have a family wedding in New York City in Sep and we will have to get rooms to accommodate 8-9 people. I settled on Candlewood Suites which is a better fit for our group of DH, DS, DD, SIL and three DGD's, one of whom will be an infant. Their is no advantage to us staying in NYC - we'll just drive in for wedding events and pay to park. Public transit is right there for folks to go into the city otherwise.

I found this video on YouTube which shows the Courtyard on the left at the very beginning.

When we lived in Jersey City this whole area was abandoned rail yards. It certainly has been buffed up in recent years.

No specific feedback yet. They would have to have an airport shuttle. Otherwise they would not be competitive.

It's the newest property at the airport. It's an Embassy Suites. I don't think there will be any surprises with the reviews.

Carol, just booked with Independent Driver for Embarkation - Courtyard to Elizabeth $60 for 5 of us, just like you said.

For disembark., from Bayonne to Jersey city is $60 as well. I have not booked yet. With shuttle (port to 33rd street light rail station?) and light rail to Newport will be ? $30 for 5 of us. Do you have any info on the shuttle?

Also I could not find references for Independent Drivers, I take your words that they are reliable. Thanks

Edited by SpokaneDan

I know how you feel - I took a chance on them four years ago based on a phone number on my park/sleep website. They worked out well as a budget choice for Newark and other have used them since with satisfactory results.

The shuttle to the light rail should be $4/pp and certainly no more than $5. The light rail is $2.10/pp and children are $1.05. You buy your tickets from a machine and validate them for boarding. There are no conductors and there are no steps onto the train. IMO it can be a fun ride for kids.

I tried to find the shuttle service on Cape Liberty website (b/w cruise terminal and Lightrail), but can't find any?

There is nothing about in on the website. It's a shared ride shuttle, generally using van-type vehicles, and you'll find them to your left when you exit the cruise terminal. Shuttles are also run to EWR and local hotels.

When you exit customs, you make a left and go to the end of the tent to the dispatcher and you tell him you have 5 people to go to the light rail station. When I did this, I waited a few minutes until there were other folks going locally to Stop & Shop. Quite frankly I found this a lot less stressful than the time I had arranged a car service and was trying to get off the ship on time and then phoning the car to arrange a pickup bay number in the middle of the chaos of disembarkation. Basically you can disembark at your leisure.

Just want to follow up on Car services rates: from Couryard Newport to LGA - Carmel has the best quote at $83 + tolls - minivan (vs. Indep. Driver, and Dial 7).

We'll try the shuttle to light rail route on disembarkation. No set time to meet a cab is indeed more relaxing.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful trip on Explorer OTS, want to thank all the contributors, especially Carol (138east). I am also want to report back as a token of appreciation for this wonderful forum:

Arrival: EWR, free shuttle p/u from Courtyard Elizabeth. $180/nt + tax for 5.

Embarkation next day: p/u by Independent Driver (Abul) on time, to Port Liberty. About 25 min. ride. $60 + tip.

Disembarkation: just as mentioned, turn left after exiting ship to the Taxi area. Told the dispatcher our light rail station destination. $4/person. 5 min. ride to Light rail station. $2.5/ticket purchased off machine. 25 min. ride to Newport station. An easy 5 min. walk to Courtyard Newport Jersey city, no problem with luggage.

Courtyard Newport (Jersey City): $199/nt + tax for 5. As mentioned, PATH subway is right next door. < 15min. ride to its terminal station at 33rd st/Harold sq. ; with transfer about 20 min. total to Time Sq station.

Departure: Carmel Limo, on time, $83 + $13 toll + tip to LGA. On early Sat. am, light traffic took 30 min.

Everything worked out as smooth as could be. Courtyard staff, the drivers were all courteous and professional. Thanks again for the advices.

New Yorkers were awesome hosts. They were all in a hurry to go somewhere (esp. rush hours), but willing to answer queries and give directions. I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable. NYC subway lived up to its mythical reputation - grimy, crowded, confusing, and decrepit, but riding the subway was one of the highlight of my trip.

Wonderful trip on Explorer OTS, want to thank all the contributors, especially Carol (138east). I am also want to report back as a token of appreciation for this wonderful forum:

Arrival: EWR, free shuttle p/u from Courtyard Elizabeth. $180/nt + tax for 5.

Embarkation next day: p/u by Independent Driver (Abul) on time, to Port Liberty. About 25 min. ride. $60 + tip.

Disembarkation: just as mentioned, turn left after exiting ship to the Taxi area. Told the dispatcher our light rail station destination. $4/person. 5 min. ride to Light rail station. $2.5/ticket purchased off machine. 25 min. ride to Newport station. An easy 5 min. walk to Courtyard Newport Jersey city, no problem with luggage.

Courtyard Newport (Jersey City): $199/nt + tax for 5. As mentioned, PATH subway is right next door. < 15min. ride to its terminal station at 33rd st/Harold sq. ; with transfer about 20 min. total to Time Sq station.

Departure: Carmel Limo, on time, $83 + $13 toll + tip to LGA. On early Sat. am, light traffic took 30 min.

Everything worked out as smooth as could be. Courtyard staff, the drivers were all courteous and professional. Thanks again for the advices.

New Yorkers were awesome hosts. They were all in a hurry to go somewhere (esp. rush hours), but willing to answer queries and give directions. I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable. NYC subway lived up to its mythical reputation - grimy, crowded, confusing, and decrepit, but riding the subway was one of the highlight of my trip.

Glad it all worked out for you, and thanks for coming back with your report...that's very much appreciated.....and it sounds like you really enjoyed your trip...

Ha..as for the NYC Subway....I have only ridden a couple times...and aside from me thinking that it was hard to navigate (having not ridden before) I found it acceptable. Not something I look to repeat, but not horrible. That said, I would rather take a taxi!!

:):D

No specific feedback yet. They would have to have an airport shuttle. Otherwise they would not be competitive.

It's the newest property at the airport. It's an Embassy Suites. I don't think there will be any surprises with the reviews.

I know it's past time for being needed..BUT the Embassy Suites is BEAUTIFUL..and NOTHING like the old school ES properties...

I was taken on a tour a couple weeks ago. It opened at the end of january and still has that new hotel smell!

The staff is very nice...they do have a restaurant, plus it's near the Ruby Tuesday, iHop and Jersey Gardens as are the other Glimcher Realty Way hotels..

They have a shuttle that will take you within a 3 mile radius I think..SO they would take you into Elizabeth if you wanted to go eat, and POSSIBLY to the grocery store (I forgot to ask specifically about that..) (they also go to the airport and mall, and they'd take you to Ikea....there's a stop & shop in Elizabeth I think, and IIRC it's PROBABLY within the radius that the shuttle will go...)

It's more expensive than the others,but the rooms were nice sized, 2-room suites and they DO have rooms with 2 beds as well as 1 (the double rooms are queens and the rooms with one bed are kings...)

All had a small fridge and I think a microwave...... I will try it out at some point...it was VERY nice.....

I'm also glad it all worked out so well for you. Marriott Courtyards seem to be the 'go to' hotel for groups of five people. The public transit option to Jersey City is really workable with rolling luggage - $32.50 to transport 5 people is a steal. As you found out Path is a terrific option to transport folks to midtown and Times Square from Jersey City. There are a ton of Manhattan hotels that are further from Times Square than 20 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

I booked Embassy Suites Elizabeth, Newark Airport in jan. 2015.

2 rooms . 2- Double beds in one room and a couch I think it pulls out to a bed.

We have been in Embassy Suites before at other locations. Even get 2 t.v.s.

They said they will pick us up at the airport EWR. Take us to the port next day. $179.55 plus $36.81 taxes = $216.36

I know if might be too high but we wanted safe, shuttle , free breakfast

and a descent hotel to stay the night.

We are not planning on touring N.Y. in Jan. weather. It is a big concern to

me leaving out of Detroit and flying into N.J. with all the storms we had this

year. I doubt we will ever go out of N.J. again. I like flying to warm weather

in the first place. So back to Fla. the next time.

1-908-558-0752 phone number on my reservation. Go to the web page and probably will have a free number.

No I can not confirm all this is great. I know the Embassy Suites we stayed in before were outstanding. I will let you all know after we get back from our trip

if it was a hassle or worry free trip.

I booked Embassy Suites Elizabeth, Newark Airport in jan. 2015.

2 rooms . 2- Double beds in one room and a couch I think it pulls out to a bed.

We have been in Embassy Suites before at other locations. Even get 2 t.v.s.

They said they will pick us up at the airport EWR. Take us to the port next day. $179.55 plus $36.81 taxes = $216.36

I know if might be too high but we wanted safe, shuttle , free breakfast

and a descent hotel to stay the night.

We are not planning on touring N.Y. in Jan. weather. It is a big concern to

me leaving out of Detroit and flying into N.J. with all the storms we had this

year. I doubt we will ever go out of N.J. again. I like flying to warm weather

in the first place. So back to Fla. the next time.

1-908-558-0752 phone number on my reservation. Go to the web page and probably will have a free number.

No I can not confirm all this is great. I know the Embassy Suites we stayed in before were outstanding. I will let you all know after we get back from our trip

if it was a hassle or worry free trip.

This is the newest hotel at Newark Airport.

It's my understanding that from the terminals you will have to take the free Airtrain to P4 to get the hotel shuttle.

I'm curious about your comment that they will take you to the port the next day. I haven't heard anything about Embassy Suites offering this service for this hotel and there is nothing on their web site about it. Did the hotel confirm that they will provide this service?