Missing a Bridge Director

sammyboots

Yes, bridge directors do stay in regular rooms.

Honestly, even with the "discount" Celebrity was offering back when they did have bridge directors, it wasn't really worth the time that was required to invest. You'd be busy every sea day with lessons in the morning and a game in the afternoon, and sometimes on port days as well. There was still a nominal charge of $30-$40 day pp and you got an inside cabin. I'd rather pay full price and not have to work!

ACBL offers a few sectionals at sea, I'm not sure which cruiselines, but those are options for players who must have their bridge fix on a cruise.

You are correct. For those who opined that the bridge directors were paid by the line, they were totaly wrong.

There are a few more card players (all games, not just bridge) on Celebrity than shuffleboard players; however, the company wants to attract a younger audience. The average passenger age can approach 70 on some longer cruises, but the company chooses to play music appealing to people less than half that age. :cool:

• 5 years later...
On 2/3/2014 at 1:38 AM, purrlinda said:

I have clients (mid 80's) who won't even consider a cruise unless there will be duplicate bridge on the ship. They frequent Holland America for this reason. I have made numerous phone calls to other cruise lines (mostly higher end, Oceania, Regent) and they don't seem to have a lot of answers when I ask about sailings with bridge. Transatlantic and Transpacific cruises seem to be the ones that have them the most but I've gotten very non committal answers from most cruise lines I've asked.

The Oceania website shows which cruises will have organized bridge with a director:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/bridge-program/

Enjoy!

This is the modern Celebrity.  On your daily events, you will find activities such as "1PM Bridge open...Qsine  translated means you are welcome to use those tables on your own...just bring your own cards and scoring device.  

This is similar to the Basketball, table tennis and many other activities where a member of the activity staff used to participate, etc.  Now you get to do it on your own since Celebrity cut the activities staff to just one or two folks on the cruise.

Part of the cost reduction.  Keep in mind though that they will give you playing cards at guest services (free)...however I challenge anyone to actually be able to mix those cards which are, as far as I can tell, made out of uncoated paper.

27 minutes ago, newportdonna said:

I’ve been trying to find bridge players for a cruise on theSoltice in September...Hawaii to Sydney, Australia...lots of sea days. Which cruise are you on?

Post on the Roll Call for your cruise. This is a very old thread. Celebrity eliminated the position years ago.

Yes it might be an old thread but it deserves resurrecting.

Yes, the activities board will show bridge from 10 am to 12 and 2 - 4pm on sea days but it isn't much use to a singleton player as I am. I take myself down to the card room all too often to find couples set up to play. A bridge director could help organise the play so that everyone gets to play. I would quite happily volunteer to do it! If you have 2 tables with 7 players then the "dummy" hand player can move between tables so that everyone gets a game. It would also help if there were aboard in the card room where interested players could sign up if wishing to play..... by adding a room no it would mean players could be contacted if they were interested in playing. The director actually could help organise scrabble competitions or other card/board games.... making everything that little bit more enjoyable and adding something to the experience!