Passport

dkksk

I hope someone can maybe clarify for my son. My son and new wife want to go on a cruise on Celebrity for their delayed Honeymoon. He is an active duty Marine. I tried to let him know he would need a passport to take a cruise into a foregin country. He heard that active Military only need to use their Military ID card. Can someone clarify. Thanks

I hope someone can maybe clarify for my son. My son and new wife want to go on a cruise on Celebrity for their delayed Honeymoon. He is an active duty Marine. I tried to let him know he would need a passport to take a cruise into a foregin country. He heard that active Military only need to use their Military ID card. Can someone clarify. Thanks

I believe your son is correct .Our grandson did a Caribbean cruise for their honeymoon & he was active Airforce .He did not need a passport;)

For many Caribbean destinations, of course, no one needs a passport.

My understanding is that active duty military can travel without a passport only in limited situations, primarily en route to or back from duty stations, when they are on travel orders. You son is best advised to check the State Department website about entry to Americans into the individual countries involved - travel.state.gov is a great resource.

Edited by AlexDouglass

Sorry, but your son is not correct.

According to the customs and boarder patrol site, he needs a WHTI document. Were he on official orders, the military ID would be fine, but not for pleasure travel.

The Army made a big deal about it a few years ago in the ArmyTimes.

Please encourage them both to get passports. They are good for 10 years, and will make sure there is no problem.

Sorry, but your son is not correct.

According to the customs and boarder patrol site, he needs a WHTI document. Were he on official orders, the military ID would be fine, but not for pleasure travel.

The Army made a big deal about it a few years ago in the ArmyTimes.

Please encourage them both to get passports. They are good for 10 years, and will make sure there is no problem.

There are a number of passport related threads on this topic and all have said the same thing.

Greetings

I believe his Military ID will be accepted as a government issued photo ID for "Closed Loop" cruises but he still will need a birth certificate in addition.

The following is from the US Customs site:

U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

•Passports

•U.S. Passport Cards

•Enhanced Driver's Licenses

•Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)

•Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)

•U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

•Enhanced Tribal Card (where available)

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

Good Sailing

Tom

My husband is AD Air Force and has always needed a passport when on leisure if he was going to somewhere that required it. As mentioned a closed loop cruise doesn't require one anyways. My husband has had his passport since he was stationed in Germany. No way he could fly in and out without one, at least not easily even with orders. And with orders a lot of places still give issues (hear horror stories of people going through Canada while moving up to Alaska and getting turned away).

Greetings

I believe his Military ID will be accepted as a government issued photo ID for "Closed Loop" cruises but he still will need a birth certificate in addition.

The following is from the US Customs site:

.... skipped portion....

•Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)

... Skipped portion....

Tom - couldn't help but notice that while you say the Military ID will be accepted the citation you give qualifies this as for being while traveling "on official orders". I doubt anyone ever has official U.S. Military orders for a cruise on Celebrity ;)

Edited by Lsimon

Also, keep in mind that a good portion of Mexico is currently off limits to U.S. military members. Most areas that cruise ships visit are not off limits, but you still need commander approval to visit.

From this message from the USAF (I believes these same orders apply to the USMC):

While on a cruise ship, servicemembers under Air Force command who want to exit the vessel in either a restricted or non-restricted area of Mexico must have prior approval through their commander. If the traveler exits the ship in either area without permission it would be a direct violation of the order and a line-of-duty determination would be made.

Last year, as a Reservist, I had to get a signed letter to get off the ship in Cozumel. It wasn't a problem to get the letter -- it took a few minutes. If I hadn't received permission and I had been killed while in Cozumel, my military life insurance would not have been paid to my wife. Similarly, an Active-Duty member would also not get his/her disability payments if they didn't have the letter.