Favorite Specialty Restaurant

hcazrat

...except for the Pasta of the Day at Sabatini's. That changes everyday. And if the pasta that day is not to your liking, if you have another suggestion, they kitchen can probably prepare it. On our last visit, the table next to us had a "picky eater" who was not enthralled with the pasta of the day and the server rattled off a whole host of other options that could be prepared if any of those would be more to his liking. Not complex preparations or ones with luxury ingredients, so I wouldn't try for Truffle-filled Agnolotti with Butter, Sage and Assiago. Or Hand-Cut Papardelle with Jumbo Lump Crab. But if a red-sauce pasta is not being served that day, they can do that, and vice versa if it is a red sauce and you would prefer a cream or butter sauce.

That's good to know! I love pasta, and I have it every night in the MDR, except on nights when it involves seafood, since I am allergic to fish or seafood. I've been hoping that when I visit Sabbatini's they won't have seafood in the pasta that night, but now I have hope that if they do, they might be able to prepare me a seafood-less version! Thank you!

ETA I just read over my statement, and I guess I'd have to revise it slightly: I have pasta every night in the MDR, and on nights where the pasta dish has seafood, I get the fettucine alfredo! ;)

Edited by helenb

How is Sterling Steak House on the Sapphire. We are on next week and want to try it. The location right next to Horizon Ct.and the seating looks like it too. Not a nice location . Is the food as good as Crown Grill on other ships? We have eaten in Sabatini's and want to try something different.

Although the Sterling Steakhouse is just a part of the buffet, they do try to make it special. And I personally have had better meals in the Sterling than I have had at a Crown Grill. YMMV. We'll be there again in March on what will probably be our last cruise on the Sapphire for a couple of years.

Oh, and another vote for the Bayou Café. It's a shame it's only on the Island and Coral. They generally have live music playing which makes a fabulous meal even better!

For the Sapphire:

Are the menus at Sabatini's and Crown Grill the same each night or do they change?

Does anyone have the current menu for these two restaurants?

The Sapphire has Sterling Steak House not Crown Grill.

Don't know for sure about the menu. Will try it out next week.

Princess provides specialty restaurant info here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/specialty_restaurants/

Each restaurant has a "more info" option which provides sample menus for each restaurant in a PDF file.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am still concerned a bit about eating at Sterling Steak House. I am not a meat eater (beef, chicken) and will be there twice with different groups. So I can have their one fish selection the first time, but do they have something else I could have the second visit in case I did not like the fish?

Someone mentioned they also have lobster, but that is not on the sample menu online.

Edited by ctemkg

ctemkg - I am a vegetarian, but my husband is definitely not :) Just tell them your dietary desires when you make your reservation and they will accommodate you. For me, usually the chef comes out when we're seated for dinner and we talk about what I'd like to eat. Sometimes, I just make a dinner out of all the wonderful sides, but I've had some great "chef's choice" vegetarian plates when I tell them that I'm a vegetarian and make me what you think is best.

ctemkg - I am a vegetarian, but my husband is definitely not :) Just tell them your dietary desires when you make your reservation and they will accommodate you. For me, usually the chef comes out when we're seated for dinner and we talk about what I'd like to eat. Sometimes, I just make a dinner out of all the wonderful sides, but I've had some great "chef's choice" vegetarian plates when I tell them that I'm a vegetarian and make me what you think is best.

Many people who are chefs (as opposed to cooks) actually enjoy making something special for people.

A few years ago I would have said Sabataini's hands down. We loved the fact that it was an entire dining experience unlike anything we ever found on dry land; and the menu was spectacular. Also, at the time Sabatini's and the Crown Grill were being rolled out on the ships, in my experience, the quality of the food at the Crown Grill (and Sterlings) was sub-par. However, over time the quality of both the food and the service at the Crown Grill has improved to a level that at least rivals - and sometimes exceeds - the experience at most land based steak houses I've enjoyed. At the same time, the change in the Sabatini's "experience" to a more traditional meal service has made it less interesting to me, personally. It's no longer any different really than anything we can get at home. There were a few years where we would always make sure to eat at both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill during any given cruise at least once. More recently, we usually only dine at the Crown Grill. And, unfortunately, though our service and overall experience at the Bayou Cafe on the Coral was enjoyable, I found the food to be pretty uninteresting. I was actually expecting it to be much more spicy, among other things, than it was. That having been said, I do think any of the Princess specialty restaurants are worth trying at least once to see how they fit your personal tastes and preferences. All just my opinion, of course.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

I am still concerned a bit about eating at Sterling Steak House. I am not a meat eater (beef, chicken) and will be there twice with different groups. So I can have their one fish selection the first time, but do they have something else I could have the second visit in case I did not like the fish?

Someone mentioned they also have lobster, but that is not on the sample menu online.

Well, it does say "Fish of the Day"... hopefully they'd have a different fish on a different day. Ask 'em!

Well, it does say "Fish of the Day"... hopefully they'd have a different fish on a different day. Ask 'em!

There used to be a little restaurant here where I live and they had a "fish of the day". One time a friend asked how such a small restaurant could have so many different types of fish. The answer she received from the wait staff was was "one fish, many names". :eek:

What is your favorite Princess specialty restaurant and why?

We've been to the Crown Grill twice, Sabatini's once. We'll keep going back to each one, trying different things.

Outstanding dishes have been Sabatini's twice-baked artichoke soufflé and the veal chop, and Crown Grill's lamb rack and the (discontinued but fondly remembered) scalloped potatoes.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

[quote name='san diego sue']Astro Flyer,
Thanks for the link to the menu for Sterlings. Will give it a try next week on the Sapphire.[/quote]

san diego sue, if you are on the Sapphire next week and eat at Sterlings, please ask them about the fish, if it is the same each day. Also if they serve lobster there. I am on Sapphire the following week and would like to figure out what I am going to do about going there twice and not eating any meat. I could get the fish twice, but if it is the same fish each time and I did not like it the first time, I am stuck on my second visit. I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

[quote name='san diego sue']How is Sterling Steak House on the Sapphire. We are on next week and want to try it. The location right next to Horizon Ct.and the seating looks like it too. Not a nice location . Is the food as good as Crown Grill on other ships? We have eaten in Sabatini's and want to try something different.[/QUOTE]

We ate at Sterling on our December Sapphire cruise and enjoyed it!! They definitely make the atmosphere nice by closing off the area. You don't realize you are next to Horizon Court. I had the filet and it was very good. I think as good as the steaks I have had at Crown Grill.

If you go then please say hi to the Head Waiter running it..........Alexandru. He is FABULOUS!! A very sweet gentle kind man who does everything he can to make your dining experience wonderful. Enjoy!! :D:D

[quote name='Memory Maker']How good is the lobster at CG? Thinking about paying the extra ($34) if it is really good. Any advice?[/QUOTE]
That $34 for a whole lobster is no longer an option & for $25 you get lobster tails. Edited by Astro Flyer

[quote name='Happy2cruise']You can have as many tails as you want at no extra cost...at least that has been our experience.[/QUOTE]
That has been our experience also so we always get enough lobster tails. My wife also enjoys the mussels entree so she skips the earlier courses & orders mussels as her appetizer and lobster tails as her entree. Our experience has been that in the CG they are smaller than what we get with the UBD even on the same cruise.

[quote name='ctemkg']For the Sapphire:

Are the menus at Sabatini's and Crown Grill the same each night or do they change?

Does anyone have the current menu for these two restaurants?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/SabatiniDinner-2013-Sample.pdf[/url]
[url]http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/SabatiniDessert-2013-Sample.pdf[/url]

[url]http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/CrownGrill-2013-Sample.pdf[/url]

At night, just before going to our cabin for the evening, we go to the International court. We look at everything in the glass case.

We get warm cookies to take to our cabin. I love to go in, get my shower, and then sit down and eat two warm cookies. Even if they are not warm by then. The cookies are wonderful. I try not to eat like a pig on the ship and gain weight I stress to take off later. Knowing I will have those cookies later...keeps me out of the Grits swimming in butter..the tons of bacon......except for the last day. Then I do.

Breakfast is my tempting meal. If I can get through that, Lunch and Dinner are not an issue. I think the food on Princess is very good. I think HAL is the best for food and Carnival is not bad. But then.......no one ever accused me of being a good cook.

We don't care for the Steakhouse on Princess as much as on Carnival. They have a fantastic Steakhouse. Actually the food in the MDR ( beef medallions) is just as good.
We were on the CB for last new Year's eve Sailing and we are on the Ruby for this November. We sailed the Breeze and the Dream in between.
Princess..is my favorite. ............I just love the line. Edited by AmberTeka