Man overboard

LCTrippers

We are on the Grand. The Captain made an announcement at 02:16 am that it appeared there was a crew member overboard, and we would start searching, and we made a turn back. At 09:00 am, we were advised we had retraced out path back to the spot, and the Star Princess and a cargo ship were joining in the search. A Coast Guard C-150 would be arriving soon to assist.

Unable to determine impact on the trip yet. Very sad.

Boy is that an old picture of the Grand, it still says P&O on the side!! :eek:

And Skywalkers!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We are currently onboard Grand to Hawaii, and are still in a searching pattern along with Star plus the cargo ship and a Coast Guard plane. The Captain has said we will continue to search until we run out of daylight, approximately 8 more hours. A very sad situation for all involved and our sentiments go out to all of the crew members family and friends. We have no idea yet what this will do the itinerary, either as we are directly in the middle of the voyage to Hawaii... and with only 4 planned days in Hawaii it will be interesting to see what happens. I will give live updates as I know them.

Normally they would fly support staff out to meet the ship, notsure what they will do with such a long sea trip.

Mentioned it was a crew member .I wonder if they have a person that crew members in distress can go to for advice and help?

What a sad situation.

I hope everyone reading this thread will take to heart the stress crew members can be under. It might just take one final complaint or rude comment from a passenger to put someone over the edge. After 27 cruises on Princess ships, we have never encountered a crew member who wasn't pleasant and trying to do their best to please. But we have seen passengers be so rude to crew members treating them as servants rather than the personable helpful people they are or try very hard to be.

Wishing for a positive outcome with prayers for the family and friends of this crew member and the hope that the passengers will accept the interruption of their vacation with compassion and praise for Princess for doing whatever they can to find the missing person.

The guy is on surveillance video and it clearly shows him intentionally jumping overboard. They didn't notice he was missing for a couple of hours. There is no way in the world they will find this guy alive. He wanted to die or he wouldn't have jumped overboard in the middle of the Pacific.

It's probably difficult for the crew and I hope they get assistance if they want it but the ships should just go on. The guy is gone, gone, gone and he wanted it that way. Maybe he found peace with himself and the world. It's a bad thing that people get that depressed but it does happen and there's nothing to be done about it afterward.

I know they have to look for him but I'm also quite certain they know it's a hopeless gesture.

What a sad situation.

I hope everyone reading this thread will take to heart the stress crew members can be under. It might just take one final complaint or rude comment from a passenger to put someone over the edge. After 27 cruises on Princess ships, we have never encountered a crew member who wasn't pleasant and trying to do their best to please. But we have seen passengers be so rude to crew members treating them as servants rather than the personable helpful people they are or try very hard to be.

Wishing for a positive outcome with prayers for the family and friends of this crew member and the hope that the passengers will accept the interruption of their vacation with compassion and praise for Princess for doing whatever they can to find the missing person.

It is unbelievable how badly some passengers treat the crew. When I see/hear this happening, I have to say something and then deal with the wrath. Everyone, be they millionaire or servant, deserves respect.

Edited by Ethel5

The referenced article cites:

The U.S. Coast Guard was notified shortly after midnight this morning that the crew member, a 34-year-old man who is a Filipino national, had gone missing from the Grand Princess cruise ship, Coast Guard officials said.
His actions may have nothing to do with passenger surliness, but could be a result of family losses at home as a result of the hurricane, or any other reason that he could have just learned about. Without knowing the full story we should not assume his action was the result of any contributing passenger irritant.

It is sad that he chose this action. My prayers go out to all involved.

The guy is on surveillance video and it clearly shows him intentionally jumping overboard. They didn't notice he was missing for a couple of hours. There is no way in the world they will find this guy alive. He wanted to die or he wouldn't have jumped overboard in the middle of the Pacific.

It's probably difficult for the crew and I hope they get assistance if they want it but the ships should just go on. The guy is gone, gone, gone and he wanted it that way. Maybe he found peace with himself and the world. It's a bad thing that people get that depressed but it does happen and there's nothing to be done about it afterward.

I know they have to look for him but I'm also quite certain they know it's a hopeless gesture.

I find this quote to be upsetting since a soul that was alive, is now gone. The numbers were against him from the moment he jumped.

What I DO wish for is compassion for people who are facing thing's that make a decision like this seem like the answer to their problems. Just because passengers are on vacation doesn't mean employee's are throw away people! We have no idea what he was facing and it is sad, sad, sad........

We are on the Star heading to Hawaii and searching also. Grand and cargo ship are off to starboard in pattern. Star captain will give us up date at 6 pm tonight. Likely to miss Lahina.

Many on board have eyes to sea searching.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

It is sad and my prayers are with the family. But counselors on ships, you can't be serious. Should the company I work for provide counselors because my work is stressful? Of course not. If someone is intent on jumping off a ship and killing themselves there is nothing anyone can do.

I find this quote to be upsetting since a soul that was alive, is now gone. The numbers were against him from the moment he jumped.

What I DO wish for is compassion for people who are facing thing's that make a decision like this seem like the answer to their problems. Just because passengers are on vacation doesn't mean employee's are throw away people! We have no idea what he was facing and it is sad, sad, sad........

Well said, thanks for this compassionate thought!

We also have over 27 cruises on Princess going back over twenty years and have never, repeat never seen a passenger being overly rude to a crew member. Not to say it doesn't happen. But for someone to go and jump overboard is some place off the chart in troubled behavior.

I sincerely hope we never see it.