S.S.Meridian - anybody remembers?

JohnPaulla

Yes, I remember the Meridian. It was my first Celebrity cruise. I went to Bermuda, and went alone having just gotten divorced. I had a great time and met some nice people from California who invited me to tag along with them and have meals with them. They were a nice couple who were traveling with her mother, who paid for their trip so she would have

company. They seemed to recognize that I had no company.

The Meridian started my continuing affection for Celebrity although I have also cruised on other lines. She was a lovely ship and had a mostly British crew. This was about 1992.

We sailed on her when it was Chandris line before Celebrity. It probably was our 4th cruise and we loved everything about her. Brings back happy memories when things were so different. Life on a cruise ship has changed so much.

Edited by cruisinggran

We remember the Meridian all too well because it was the only ship upon which we cruised through a Hurricane. It was in Aug 1991 and Hurricane Bob caught both the Meridian and Nordic Prince on their route between New York and Bermuda. Seas ran about 40 feet, winds were over 90 knots, and we were in that awful storm for about 12 hours. The Nordic Prince sustained some major hull damage (many of their passengers chose to fly home from Bermuda rather then continue their cruise) but the deeper draft Meridian rode out the storm very well with only some minor interior damage and the unfortunate loss of hundreds of bottle of wine.

Hank

Loved the Meridien. It was my 2nd cruise. My first cruise was on the Home Lines Atlantique. Both ships were classy. White glove service. Chandris Line was excellent. I remember it fondly. Wish I still had my seacard from Meridien. I never got credit from Celebrity toward Captains Club for that cruise. At least I have nice memories.

Loved the Meridien. It was my 2nd cruise. My first cruise was on the Home Lines Atlantique. Both ships were classy. White glove service. Chandris Line was excellent. I remember it fondly. Wish I still had my seacard from Meridien. I never got credit from Celebrity toward Captains Club for that cruise. At least I have nice memories.

I did get credit for the Meridian but it took some doing. We also cruised the Atlantic when it was the Big Red Boat.

I'll never forget our cruise on the Meridian. Mr. Joe Williams, the jazz singer, was onboard doing a private show, but I got to meet him and I was invited to the show by the organizer. What a thrill! My husband took photos of Mr. Williams and myself chatting and I treasure those photos. Mr. Williams passed away not long afterward.

The food and service were amazing! We had an inside cabin the size of a closet, but we didn't care! The Meridian is why we love Celebrity!

We were able to get credit for the only cruise we took on the Meridian by sending in a scan of a picture we had taken onboard with the name of the ship and the date.

We were new to cruising in the late 80's and had tried both RCL and Holland America before deciding on the Meridian, mostly because of its itinerary out of San Juan and going as far south as Caracas. We were so happy with the food, excellent service!

We also got credit for the cruise on the Meridan. Sent them a picture of us beside the big steering wheel that was outside a lounge (I think) it had Meridan on the bottom. Talk with someone at the Captions club.

Definitely, especially since she sailed out of Philly, right across the river from us.

We sailed Horizon when she first came over also, Celebrity's very first "new" ship and loved her also. Sad that they have eliminated their small ships. They were classy and intimate.

Meridian sadly is now at the bottom of the ocean.:o

Pat

Just returned from a cruise up the Malacca Straits and remembered the ship Galileo Galilei which became the S.S.Meridian and which sunk as the Sun Vista. Anybody remembers the S.S.Meridian of Celebrity?

http://daddytravel.blogspot.sg/search/label/cruise

Our first cruise on Celebrity was on Meridian. Still remember midnight buffets.

And on the bad note - people were allowed to smoke in the MDR - yykkkk.

Our first too. We sat at the honeymooners' table in the back of the dining room and had an inside cabin. Still one of my best cruises and my favorite waiter. Frank from Serbia. Miss you Frank. And Sylvestro who used to scrape the crumbs off the table between courses. Good food, good times, good memories.

also our 1st cruise on celebrity and one of my favorite cruises. our waiter told us it was his 1st sailing on the ship and if he didn't know something we asked he would have the answer by the next meal. the food was great and the stop at san blas island is one i'll never forget.

we sail on the reflection on 03/29/2014-----cruise 15 on celebrity

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Meridian from Charleston, SC to Bermuda. Food and service was excellent! Top notch!

The seas were very rough outside Bermuda on the return and many people were sick. Very few people made it to formal night and there was plenty of lobster to go around! Great memories from that trip! :)

We were on the Meridian for a repositioning cruise from San Juan to Fort Lauderdale. As you all say, she had great service and food, but our cabin was a closet. We didn't care. We enjoyed the ship. I am so glad I took a video of all the public rooms on that ship. She was beautifully redone since her days as the Gallileo. Don't think she would be up to date with today's regulations and it would have probably been too costly to renovate her. Love to watch our old video and relive a great trip. That was trip #4 for us on Celebrity. We're now up to 24. Guess you could say we liked it.

Phil

I did get credit for the Meridian but it took some doing. We also cruised the Atlantic when it was the Big Red Boat.

The big red boat was the Home lines oceanic,not the Meridian.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Meridian from Charleston, SC to Bermuda. Food and service was excellent! Top notch!

The seas were very rough outside Bermuda on the return and many people were sick. Very few people made it to formal night and there was plenty of lobster to go around! Great memories from that trip! :)

Our 2nd cruise was on the Meridian, also out of Charleston, SC to Bermuda. We sailed April 93 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We met some wonderful people, especially our table mates.

We toured the island with 2 other couples on motorbikes. So much fun.

There was a young couple sailing that got married in Bermuda when we arrived there.

Our stateroom had a porthole that made it seem larger than it probably was.

Dining was elegant, excellent service at each meal. Our waiter was from Portugal, probably the best we have ever had.

There was an English tea one day that you made reservations for.

I could go on and on.

I was certainly hooked on Celebrity from then on.

Martha

My wife and I sailed on the Meridian in the summer of 1994 and 1995.In 1995,we hit a tropical storm on the way to NY.Arrived 2 hrs late.Seas were 30 to 40 feet and greatfull we were on the Meridian that was originally built for norh atlantic travel.Was sad to hear that she sunk.