Bumped from a cruise; what should we expect?

DAK76

On a Summit cruise last February (2013), we booked a summer 2015 cruise to the Galapagos; with the advanced booking, we were able to choose an optimal cabin and secure good discounts. On returning home, we convinced friends to sign on to the same itinerary.

(For what it's worth, we're 8-time Celebrity cruisers, plus some RCCL and two Azamara cruises.)

Today, we received a call from Celebrity, informing us that the cruise had been "chartered out"; we were given the option of re-booking (with a promised credit) or canceling.

When we called the provided phone number, we were referred to another. When we called that number, we were put on hold for 15 minutes or more.

Our friends got through first, and were offered a chance to re-book another cruise around the same time (inconvenient), but the cabins we originally selected are no longer available, so we are looking at something like a $750 per person increase for the available cabins. We spent a whole evening on the phones, and we still have no satisfactory answer; it looks like we may end up with a serious compromise on the date to get anything like the fare we thought we had signed up for.

We've had a great relationship with Celebrity up until now; I'd hate to think it doesn't count for anything when adjustments need to be made.

That happens on all lines.

Yes it happens. But that doesn't make it right especially when the cruise line is not contacting the IP to organise appropriate alternatives. If anything they are being treated as nuisances and just want them to go away.

Yes it happens. But that doesn't make it right especially when the cruise line is not contacting the IP to organise appropriate alternatives. If anything they are being treated as nuisances and just want them to go away.

Agreed, it is shabby at best.:D

We have resolved this matter with Celebrity to our satisfaction, and are booked on another itinerary that summer that fits our date constraints.

Having done business with Celebrity for 13 years and eight great cruises, I suppose a little rough patch with the relationship was to be expected. In the end, I'm glad it happened on land, more than a year away from the cruise, and not at sea.

We recently booked a summer 2015 cruise.

When I tried to add it to my reservations, the date didn't come up.

Just curious, what is the sail date of the cancelled cruise?

Our original departure date was July 24th (which, if I'm remembering correctly, translated to a 7/26 sail date after the pre-cruise stay in Quito).

We have resolved this matter with Celebrity to our satisfaction, and are booked on another itinerary that summer that fits our date constraints.

Having done business with Celebrity for 13 years and eight great cruises, I suppose a little rough patch with the relationship was to be expected. In the end, I'm glad it happened on land, more than a year away from the cruise, and not at sea.

Congrats, great news and happy sailing!

I am glad it worked out for you just as many of us expected and hoped for you.

Thanks for reporting back, glad that Celebrity did the right thing.