CDG Layover Time

agadora

I know I've seen a lot of discussion about concerns over layover time at CDG airport. I am currently eyeing a return flight that goes Rome to Paris to Toronto to Minneapolis. It gives me a 1.5 hour layover in CDG. Is that enough time if I don't have to go through customs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually like CDG. Ever since they finished the construction/reconstruction, it's a very nice airport if you are flying SkyTeam airlines… In the past few years, I haven't had to ride a bus from a hardstand or terminal to terminal…

Which airlines are you using to/from CDG? That may have a little bearing on what time you should leave yourself… If terminal changes are involved, it could be extremely tight.

It's Air France to CDG and I think Delta the rest of the way. Bought through Delta.

It would be Air France to YYZ, as I doubt Delta flies CDG-YYZ.

The real concern on that itinerary is the YYZ connection because, as I stated in another thread, you will have to do immigration twice - once to enter Canada, and then US pre-clearance. What's your YYZ connection?

SkyTeam has consolidated all of their CDG ops into the T2E and T2F end of CDG. Much easier now, so I would be fine with 1.5 hours there. But the devil is in the YYZ connection.

I'm surprised that someone would be taking this route, other than a) much less in price, which is unlikely given the Canadian taxes/fees or b) availability for award redemption being better via YYZ than directly to MSP, which is quite often the case.

Ok...so I'm going to give you more information on the flights I have to choose from. The people in the group I'm traveling with want to book with Delta to get the rewards. The two options are a difference of $300 per person.

Four passengers, Depart June 8, Return June 30

Option #1 -- Found on Kayak = $1445

Outbound

Delta Flight 3506: Minneapolis to Toronto (YYZ)

2 hour layover

Delta Flight 9398: Toronto to Amsterdam

1 hour 10 min layover

Delta Flight 9601: Amsterdam to Barcelona

Return

Delta Flight 8501: Rome to Paris (CDG)

1 hour 30 min layover

Delta Flight 8616: CDG to YYZ

3 hour layover

Delta Flight 3875: YYZ to Minneapolis

Option #2 -- Found on Delta Website = $1740

Outbound

Delta Flight 1975: Minneapolis to Atlanta

2 hour 30 min layover

Delta Flight 114: Atlanta to Barcelona

Return

Delta Flight 9352: Rome to Amsterdam

1 hour 30 min layover

Delta Flight 259: Amsterdam to Minneapolis

Does Canada have international transit like most of the world or is it like the USA?

Seriously, going from the USA to Europe and back and having to do immigration TWICE in both directions sounds sub-optimal.

If you aren't on some "milage run" or aren't redeeming for an award, why mess with that?

Does Canada have international transit like most of the world or is it like the USA?

Seriously, going from the USA to Europe and back and having to do immigration TWICE in both directions sounds sub-optimal.

If you aren't on some "milage run" or aren't redeeming for an award, why mess with that?

This is what I'm wondering. Will I get sterile transit through to Barcelona so I only have to do customs once?

The cost difference in these flights is really large...each couple would save 600 dollars. That's why we are looking at it as a viable option.

For a $300 price difference Option #2 and not even think twice. Two flights are always better than 3. less chance of missing connection and lost luggage.

I understand the importance of ease, but if it's about a little suffering and having and extra $600 per couple for excursions and experiences, I wonder if it might be worth it. I am nervous, however, about the risks involved. If it matters, we are all teachers and have a good cushion on the return in terms of needed to get back.

I'm not experienced with purchasing international flights, so everyone's advice is so very much appreciated.

Well, the first thing I would say is that you found these prices on Kayak. Looking on Delta's website directly, I can replicate option 2 but not option 1, which makes me wonder if this isn't a consolidator fare. And secondly, I don't even have to look them up to know that most of the flights in option 1 aren't Delta, but their codeshare partners - KLM going and Air France (or possibly Alitalia for the FCO-CDG flight) coming back. All of which can affect the miles earned on the flights, so a consideration as your friends specifically want to earn Skymiles.

I hear you about saving money - and $300/person is a sizeable chunk of change - but honestly, if it were me, I would probably pay that just to avoid CDG and YYZ.

Well, the first thing I would say is that you found these prices on Kayak. Looking on Delta's website directly, I can replicate option 2 but not option 1, which makes me wonder if this isn't a consolidator fare. And secondly, I don't even have to look them up to know that most of the flights in option 1 aren't Delta, but their codeshare partners - KLM going and Air France (or possibly Alitalia for the FCO-CDG flight) coming back. All of which can affect the miles earned on the flights, so a consideration as your friends specifically want to earn Skymiles.

I hear you about saving money - and $300/person is a sizeable chunk of change - but honestly, if it were me, I would probably pay that just to avoid CDG and YYZ.

I would add this, if you (op) can find the same flights at the same price on Delta's website book through them and sign up for their FF program. Booking direct you should get to pick your seats (on the delta metal anyway) and you might as well get credit for the miles. No sense in leaving them out there.

Ok...I might be missing something, but Kayak just sends me to the Delta website and I purchase the actual tickets through them. I am already a member of their FF program and that's why I'm wanting to stick with Delta if possible.

I'm not really familiar with codes such as V and T. What is the difference between those and other codes?

I've also found a similar good fare through Kayak that goes through YUL (Montreal) instead of YYZ (Toronto). It's with Air France again and does stop in CDG (Paris).

Have any of you flown through YUL? When I'm coming back, if I go FCO to YUL to MSP, where will I have to go through customs?

Fares have dropped another $100 dollars per person on the YYZ version from above; it's getting harder and harder not to consider it.

I'm not really familiar with codes such as V and T. What is the difference between those and other codes?

Here are some links to get you started on your airline fares education:

http://boardingarea.com/frequentlyflying/2011/05/04/airfare-pricing-buckets-airline-fare-basis-codes-revealed/

http://hackmytrip.com/2012/02/understanding-airline-inventory/

http://www.ausbt.com.au/expert-tips-working-with-ticket-booking-classes-fare-buckets

and for a GREAT explanation about buckets and about what a "fare" actually is, you can turn to:

http://www.expertflyer.com/edu-guide.pdf

Perhaps a bit of overkill, but it may help get a better idea of how all of this pricing and inventory "magic" works. And how you can get ahead of the game. Or at least keep pace.