Carnival: Please stop it with the nonstop "Jumbotron" barrage!

TrinaLC

Now you have.

Just got off the Dream less than a week ago with stops on St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I never found it too loud. Ever.

In fact, in the mornings they had, I believe, the cruise director on some show then the Mike & Mike show and GMA at times. It wasn't loud at all and my hearing is just fine. I had breakfast on the Lido one morning just below a speaker (hanging from the roof of the deck above) and it wasn't loud at all.:confused:

I also watched the Alabama and Oklahoma game on the Lido deck until they switched to movie night (which was far more annoying than any volume issues, they did switch back after the boos) and while the volume was up, it wasn't too loud considering the event.

Oh and BTW, I'm not much of a party guy and I'm not one big on noise. On NYE at midnight I was actually in my cabin falling alseep :( Not the way I planned it but my body wanted sleep more than the party. My kids told me the Lido deck was very loud that night :D

You are correct, the Dream did not have their volume too loud but at a reasonable level. Not just for your cruise but I'm betting all their cruises. We were on her over a year ago and the volume was fine. But I think the point here is that many of the ships don't use common sense in this regard and ignoe all the complaints of their passengers.

I guess I must be in the minority when it comes to whatever's being played on the jumbotron or the volume at which it's being played, cause it has never botherd me one way or another. I spend time there and I walk through there on a fairly regular basis, so I can have an informed opinion.

Oh, I also make sure to tell myself that I'm on vacation, on a cruise, and not to let things bother me. I can't imagine having my days ruined by what's on the TV or the volume of such TV.

You are correct, the Dream did not have their volume too loud but at a reasonable level. Not just for your cruise but I'm betting all their cruises. We were on her over a year ago and the volume was fine. But I think the point here is that many of the ships don't use common sense in this regard and ignoe all the complaints of their passengers.

I think you might be right. We were on the Conquest last month for 3 weeks and they never would adjust the volume lower. I seen several people complaining but it was like the crew was deaf!

Were you one of the rednecks at that time? Just curious.

Now make the change fleet-wide.

Get the under-30's who actually control the volume knob UNDER CONTROL.

Agreed:)

Pulling into Cozumel and the big screen is super loud with nothing more than network TV morning show with some women babbling the latest PC talking points - with no one listening and everyone around me wishing they'd just turn it off:D

If there was a football game on I bet there would not be a complaint... (the exception to this is if there are 2 different games going at same time and the other game is the one you wanted to watch) i don't watch it and I could careless.. but no complaints from me. Yes at times there will be things on the Jumbtron that someone does not like, now we are coming up to the winter Olympics and the requests are coming in ... are we going to be able to watch them on the jumbotron.

Sorry it bothered you so much but you can not please everyone....

I will be on the Breeze when the Olympics arte going so I dare say that's all what will be on the Jumbotron. Which really wont bother me.

Old sit-com re-runs and Good Morning America blaring in the early morning..... does that really please anyone? :confused:

We like Carnival, but there are a few things that leave us shaking our heads, the big screen is one of them.

Who wants to watch news to keep up with what is happening. Vacation is to get away from it all. Hate it! Worse on some ships than others.

The joke of the matter is that it's actually quite difficult to see it during the day

so they might as well turn it off for after-dark

and save God knows how much fuel for generating its electricity.

Thinking like a bean-counter, here.. ;)

Maybe the Dream is different, because I don't recall it being too loud, and I saw another poster say the same thing. Also, most of the time during the day they had a video on a loop of waterfalls and the DJ was playing music or there were musicians playing at one of the bars on Lido. I don't recall their being sitcom reruns. If I was on one of the boats with something on it blaring non-stop, that would annoy me.

The problem with John's question on Facebook today is the way he phrased the question. Here's what he asked:

In your opinion, volume only, not content, please when you cruised on a ship with the DiveIn Movie Big Screen is the volume we have: perfect, too loud or not loud enough. Please answer using one of the three.

Worded like that, it sounds like he's specifically asking about the volume of MOVIES. Also, the question is specific to the volume of the programming on the television screen.

Usually the problem with things being too loud out at the mid-ship pool is with music being played out there... and also morning television shows. Movie volume is usually not a problem.

He's getting an awful lot of responses of "it's not loud enough"... and I have to assume that these people are talking about the volume of movie dialogue at night. Nobody in their right mind would say that the volume is not loud enough when they play music mid-day or when they're showing Good Morning America at 7 AM.

The problem with John's question on Facebook today is the way he phrased the question. Here's what he asked:

In your opinion, volume only, not content, please when you cruised on a ship with the DiveIn Movie Big Screen is the volume we have: perfect, too loud or not loud enough. Please answer using one of the three.

Worded like that, it sounds like he's specifically asking about the volume of MOVIES. Also, the question is specific to the volume of the programming on the television screen.

Usually the problem with things being too loud out at the mid-ship pool is with music being played out there... and also morning television shows. Movie volume is usually not a problem.

He's getting an awful lot of responses of "it's not loud enough"... and I have to assume that these people are talking about the volume of movie dialogue at night. Nobody in their right mind would say that the volume is not loud enough when they play music mid-day or when they're showing Good Morning America at 7 AM.

You can still word your answer correctly. I put that it should be monitored throughout the day and that it is too loud earlier in the mornings.

On our Christmas cruise last month on the Victory, the couple mornings I was on deck they had music with landscape videos playing. Kind of relaxing and was not loud at all.

And we loved watching Elf on the lido as a family on Christmas eve.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Forums mobile app.

I agree with the OP. I hate the Jumbotron. All I remember was the same repetitive patterns playing over and over and over and over again with super loud music I hated for the most part. Clearly, they are aimimg towards a much younger audience than me. I so miss the Caribbean bands.

I never hung out on the Lido deck near the "Tron".

Now, Movies Under the Stars, I love- but not the loud noise they play during the day.