Bedbug infestation-is this a common occurrence?

simon stingray

I've just been reading a review of a Millennium Asia cruise where it was reported that their FV stateroom was "Infested" with bedbugs.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=247692

It seems the crew did their best to resolve the problem to the guests satisfaction (taking away all of thier clothing to be laundered and moving the family to 2 adjacent veranda staterooms).

I wondering how common this is and how the crew ensure the problem is delt with properly to ensure there are no reinfestations. Do the crew have the equipment onboard to fumigate the stateroom and are all the soft furnishings ripped out and replaced (mattress/carpets/curtains/sofa).

We are planning a cruise on Millennium which I why this review caught my attention.

Anyone else experienced this?

In case anyone wants to check for them:

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-for-Bedbugs

We had them one time in a hotel in Mexico - yuck! We had bites all over the next morning. Thankfully we only had one night reserved there. Hopefully it will not be an issue on our cruise. I don't plan on doing the bug check above unless I hear of more problems. It sounds like it's not usually an issue.

We've never had a problem with bed bugs.

But, we've had problems with the types of detergents/pesticides/cleaning agents used in the cabins or rooms when we travel.

Celebrity must use hypo-allergenic products and unscented detergents because we can rely on Celebrity cabin stewards to clean as required without causing any problems.

jls

It can happen anywhere but is certainly not prevalent on Celebrity. The room stewards generally do a superior job at keeping the cabins spotless. It is not out of the realm of possibility that bugs could be brought in from a hotel stay (or heaven forbid a passenger's home) but as soon as noticed they would be dealt with stringently. I have sailed more than 30 times (20+ on X) and have never had an issue.

We had some bites while on board the Solstice recently. We told Customer Relations and she definitely did not want to hear about it or know our room number. She said if it was confirmed by a Doctor after leaving the ship, we could call headquarters. I was very worried, but found no evidence after leaving the ship. I am nervous about sailing again.

We had some bites while on board the Solstice recently. We told Customer Relations and she definitely did not want to hear about it or know our room number. She said if it was confirmed by a Doctor after leaving the ship, we could call headquarters. I was very worried, but found no evidence after leaving the ship. I am nervous about sailing again.

If you are nervous about sailing again, then IMO, you should also be nervous about staying in a hotel, motel, B & B OR sitting in a seat on an airplane, train, bus, taxi, restaurant, waiting room OR trying on clothes while shopping and on and on.

" IF you travel ANYWHERE the big question is not "will I come in contact with Bedbugs? ".....but rather, " will I bring them home with me ?"

This is very disturbing to me. I hope you took pictures, and if I were you I would use them to put some heat on celebrity. That's really unacceptable to do to a guest.

• 2 weeks later...

Several Fire Department Stations in Columbus Ohio have had to be treated for Bed Bugs. The Medics and Engine crews enter the homes with equipment, and end up taking them back home.

I have even witnessed taped off room in local Emergency Department post treatment.

The US EPA took away the most effective Chemicals.

When bedbugs were all over the news last year, we decided to be more pro-active about not bringing them home from our vacation. So, we always unload our suitcases outside and put the laundry into the wash before anything is hung in our closet. Clothing that does not require a wash is put in the dryer on high heat for a few minutes. We store our suitcases in the garage attic space which seems to kill everything up there. Of course, it is not foolproof but it is very reassuring.

My father and stepmom had them on another cruise line. The first morning they woke up with bites all over. They cleaned all of their clothes, sanitized their luggage and moved them to another cabin. No problems after that. There are always spare cabins that can be used. Needles to say, they went all out to make it up to them with OBC, specialty dinner, a bottle of wine from the captain and general concern. It happens and it is not the fault of the cruise line. As for Columbus, they have one of the highest infestations in the country. Every time my son comes home from college, I want to quarantine him but no issues so far.

I am always concerned about the easy spread of them on the airline baggage carts. They are everywhere.. Recall seeing a whole cono bldg. on Biscayne Bay tented, evacuated for several days. Later I saw our condo exterminator man leaving in a white uniform and gas mask on. Bed bugs.Do not put your luggage on any bed.

We've had bed bugs a couple of times on other lines. I don't even blame the other lines as much as it happens!! Other guests bring them into the room, their suitcases may have them and they place them in the plane -- go to the cruise and check their bags with the porters, the bags are delivered to your room and they go up onto the bed -- bingo -- now you have bed bugs.

I asked for a bed topper on another line one day and saw it without cover in the hallway -- it looked rather disgusting. This time, I think they were in the topper. I commented to the hotel manager that I had numerous bites and don't usually tend to react to bug bites -- but these were huge and itchy. They did a thorough cleaning and did find a bed bug infestation. I met our stateroom neighbors while waiting to disembark and she had the same issue from her room. Did it ruin my cruise - NOT a chance. Were they itchy as all get out...you BETCHA! I made sure I did the unpacking and washing of clothes as suggested to make sure I didn't bring them into my house.

• 3 months later...
This is very disturbing to me. I hope you took pictures, and if I were you I would use them to put some heat on celebrity. That's really unacceptable to do to a guest.

In my career, I traveled as a professional for 44+ years, plus, served in the USN and, I also was even based in Turkey and, Germany for extended periods of time.

I NEVER, EVER saw a bedbug anywhere, EXCEPT, Florida in a Holiday Inn,

but, because of that I never stopped going to Florida...and, it was in Naples Florida of all places.

Blaming Celebrity for a bed bug that some guest brought aboard, is like blaming Florida for the bed bug I saw in Naples. :rolleyes: