Bedbug infestation-is this a common occurrence?

simon stingray

To the poster who mentioned bites on solstice, would you mind telling us your cabin number as we sail Solstice in two weeks and I am very nervous about bed bugs in all hotels... Thank you.

If it was a Caribbean cruise, is it not likely that the bites were from flying insects as opposed to bedbugs?

30 cruises under my belt, not to mention hundreds of hotel stays and I have yet to get a bedbug bite. Maybe I don't taste good but I think the odds of bedbugs on a cruise are really low.

You are correct. Really low on a cruise ship and, in hotels too.

I remember one time I had to stay at an airport hotel near Chicago Midway airport terminal (the old terminal).

Every hotel in the city was filled, except, for this joint. The place had paper sheets on the bed. Who has ever stayed in a hotel with paper sheets? (It was a truck stop hotel.)

I figured IF EVER there was a place for bed bugs this joint had to be it...

Nope, clean as a whistle... :p

To the poster who mentioned bites on solstice, would you mind telling us your cabin number as we sail Solstice in two weeks and I am very nervous about bed bugs in all hotels... Thank you.

There are 1,356 staterooms on Solstice. Your chances of being in the same room as that poster is 1 in 1,356, or about 0.07%. Fortunately, not much of a risk.

Edited by boogs

I experienced bites at a top rated hotel in our local area at a conference.....hotel did not want to hear about and another one in our group really had alot of bites...

I carry a natural spray from a travel catalog, check the headboard area where they may lurk and put suitcsses in plastc dry cleaner wrap...some say that willl keep them out of luggage

No need to be obsessed, just take precautions

it is sad that it does happen but it is not the fault of the cruise line and maybe not the fault of the previous passengers. Bugs, insects, bacteria, and etc latch onto and into everything. It could have came from the house of the previous passenger, the previous hotel, air line or a tour.

It is almost impossible for a ship to fumigate a cabin after every cruise and even if it did many things may still survive. I needed to have a travel trailer fumigated because of insects that infested it after a trip out west. We had to leave it sealed up for a week.

👾

• 1 month later...
I do not want to put my luggage anywhere near the bed as I would prefer not to take bedbugs home with me if they are lurking. Is under the bed the only place to store luggage? That's a big no no for me!:eek:

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Try not to worry about bedbugs. Many of us have been cruising for a very long time and have never been on a ship with bedbugs. :)

LuLu

A local station recently aired something about bedbugs and hotels. The best advice given - although not always totally practical on a cruise ship - was to leave your suitcase in the bathroom, in the tub if at all possible. But basically far away from the bed. That would be my main concern would be bringing bugs back to my home :(

A local station recently aired something about bedbugs and hotels. The best advice given - although not always totally practical on a cruise ship - was to leave your suitcase in the bathroom, in the tub if at all possible. But basically far away from the bed. That would be my main concern would be bringing bugs back to my home :(

Pack a couple of black garbage bags and put your luggage in them before storing under the bed if you are really concerned about it. Very easy.

Not us, If I have to worry about bed bugs, I would not travel!!!!!!!

Having said that, we do check and spray with special bug killer(designed for bedding) and leave our luggage out in the hot sun for a couple of days before storing away.

Getting bed bugs is like being pick pocketed it is not IF, but WHEN. Just a fact of life in travel.

[quote name='Triplekim']I do not want to put my luggage anywhere near the bed as I would prefer not to take bedbugs home with me if they are lurking. Is under the bed the only place to store luggage? That's a big no no for me!:eek:[/quote]

We use these after returning home. We also use vacuum bags for clothing. This allows for re packing used clothing, and contains items ounce home. At least to some degree.
Nuvan™ Strips, which can be purchased online or from pest management professionals, can be placed in your luggage bag. [B][U]Follow the instructions on the package exactly. [/U][/B]The strips release a vapor that is toxic to bed bugs. Do [B][U]not[/U][/B] open the bags for at least 2 weeks. If your luggage has lots of pockets, seams and other hiding places, it might take a month or so for the Nuvan™ strips to penetrate all of the nooks and crannies. Leave them sealed in the bag at least for a month to six weeks.