How sexy do ladies dress on formal night?

sweettxgal

I'm 5' 1" so most of the models will be taller than me. I haven't decided for sure about hair up/down. What dress style do you think fits with each hair style.

I like both dresses. Although I already have one similar to #1 except maybe not quite as low of a v. #2 is also very nice I'm a DD so I'd just have to see how it fit.

What do you think about color do you think these same styles in a red/burgundy would push the sexy factor to far?

Ok, since no one else will comment on this I will go out of my comfort zone and try to be as tactful as possible. ( the tactful part IS the going out of my comfort zone part). Before purchasing dress #2 online I would go to to a store and try on a similar dress. You mentioned that you are 5'1 and would be ordering it in a plus size. To me this dress in particular, is designed for someone like my DD who's 5'8 and 135lbs. I am not certain that you will be able to fit a strapless bra in this dress and it doesn't seem that it would give a lot of support in that area on its own. :)

I'd say that women dress classy and sometimes glittery rather than sexy.

It's all in the fit and the color. Usually the sexiest dresses on me are my classiest dresses. What looks sexy on one woman can look frumpy on another. I dress to my size and shape. There are dresses that I love on the rack but they look horrible on me. There are only 3 styles of dresses that suit me and I would feel comfortable ordering them online with the aid of a sizing chart other than those styles I would not take the chance and order online even if I could return them. Too much hassle to me.

It's all in the fit and the color. Usually the sexiest dresses on me are my classiest dresses. What looks sexy on one woman can look frumpy on another. I dress to my size and shape. There are dresses that I love on the rack but they look horrible on me. There are only 3 styles of dresses that suit me and I would feel comfortable ordering them online with the aid of a sizing chart other than those styles I would not take the chance and order online even if I could return them. Too much hassle to me.

I will order online from companies like LL Bean who offer painless returns, or Nordstrom's or White House|Black Market or Eileen Fisher where I can return to a local store. But any place that is no returns or where they would be a hassle, nope.

Particularly for larger busted women, finding a dress that covers the girls (side boob is always unattractive), you can wear a bra under or has a supportive built in bra that is actually comfortable, and fits the rest of you isn't always easy. Usually it requires ordering a size to fit the bust and having the rest taken in. A good tailor can be your best friend. :)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

No until now, I missed her. Thank heaven. Got any bleach I can pour in my eyes now?

I still think she's the exception not the rule.

oh, oh, hair up for formal night in a wonderful long dress. Then the mmmmmm of letting him take it down and run his fingers through it at the end of the night.....OK I am an old romantic.

I would do the last or 2nd to the last in the link posts, they look like they will fit a good bra under, you may have to go strapless. The other 3 are ok but don't work for me because I think they will not give your bust a good shape. Of the 2 in the pictures the one without sleeves with a nice pashmina.

I am planning the romantic evening right down to the bubbly here.

Cheers, h.

We definitely think alike :)

Ok, since no one else will comment on this I will go out of my comfort zone and try to be as tactful as possible. ( the tactful part IS the going out of my comfort zone part). Before purchasing dress #2 online I would go to to a store and try on a similar dress. You mentioned that you are 5'1 and would be ordering it in a plus size. To me this dress in particular, is designed for someone like my DD who's 5'8 and 135lbs. I am not certain that you will be able to fit a strapless bra in this dress and it doesn't seem that it would give a lot of support in that area on its own. :)

I definitely would try similar things on locally. I was mainly just showing some ideas to get feedback on what people consider appropriate.

I'm really not embarrassed by sporting some tasteful cleavage, but I do like to dress according to the social occasion.

I definitely would try similar things on locally. I was mainly just showing some ideas to get feedback on what people consider appropriate.

I'm really not embarrassed by sporting some tasteful cleavage, but I do like to dress according to the social occasion.

Sounds like a good plan. I hope you find the perfect dress. :)

That has commented on this forum. I looked at all of the dress options that you posted and none of them fit into the "chain mail" category. I'd be proud to accompany my wife anywhere if she were wearing any of them. If you go back to my original post they are all category 2, tasteful dresses. Bring them all and have a great time.

I'm new to cruising and trying to decide how to dress for formal night. I'd kind of like to dress a little sexier than usual for the hubby.

I'm a curvy lady so I'm thinking an elegant black dress with a v-neck that shows a bit of cleavage. How sexy do other ladies dress? I certainly don't want to over do it.

Thanks again for your help.

From Chaste to near exhibitionist or worse. All I can say is WOW!!!

Beau Brummel (Yes, that Beau Brummel) once said:

"If people turn to look at you on the street, you are not well dressed."

There you go....

Nope, I don't buy that. I've turned to look at people thinking, wow, that looks great, wonder where they got it as I wouldn't mind having it.;):)

It also depends on which ship you sail. These would fly on CCL but not HAL.

Really? Never cruised HAL. On a 30 something year old these wouldn't work? The red one with the chiffon train sure seemed dressy enough. Why wouldn't that one work if it looked nice on the woman?

Really? Never cruised HAL. On a 30 something year old these wouldn't work? The red one with the chiffon train sure seemed dressy enough. Why wouldn't that one work if it looked nice on the woman?

I guess overlay and not train is the correct term. Looks like they used a fan for the models shot and the overlay was blowing behind her. The front still shot clearly shows a very elegant and formal dress and on the right person I think that this dress would look stunning. Why wouldn't this one ( # 4 from the original picture links, I believe) work on a HAL ship?