Aqua Class use of MDR?

Paulras

I thought I knew the answer but couldn't find it on the boards. If you book an Aqua Class cabin and on some nights didn't want to eat in Blu, can you eat in the MDR instead? If so, do you just show up at the MDR Select dining area and ask for a table on any day you want to eat in the MDR?

Looking at AQ for the first time and would like the option of eating in the MDR if the menu looks good on any one night. Or if we want to eat with friends who aren't in AQ.

I thought I knew the answer but couldn't find it on the boards. If you book an Aqua Class cabin and on some nights didn't want to eat in Blu, can you eat in the MDR instead? If so, do you just show up at the MDR Select dining area and ask for a table on any day you want to eat in the MDR?

Looking at AQ for the first time and would like the option of eating in the MDR if the menu looks good on any one night. Or if we want to eat with friends who aren't in AQ.

Yes. Select in MDR.

There really isn't any way of knowing ahead of time if any of the three dining room options (Select, Early or Late) will be the one available to you if you desire to change from your assigned dining room. On some cruises, Select

Dining is so popular it's actually overbooked and those who made that selection find themselves having to wait to get in. On those cruises, it isn't fair for someone with a different assignment to take up a table in Select Dining. In that case, you may be accommodated in one of the two fixed dining times.

To be clearer, I wasn't asking about changing my Blu assignment to MDR. If I was going to do that, I would certainly speak the maitre d. Just want to know if I have the option to eat in the MDR a couple nights if I wanted to by simply showing up at Select dining and asking for a table. Someone in AQ on the last cruise said that you could but they ate at Blu every night so they never tried.

Please let me know if you've done this without a problem in the past.

As had been posted, you simply need to stop by Blu and tell the Maitre 'd (or whoever is working the door desk) of your desire to dine in the MDR. They will make the appropriate arrangements which can vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. In some cases they will have you report to the MDR Maitre d for either early or late sitting..and in other cases they might arrange for you to dine at Select (or As You Wish) dining.

Hank

P.S. We have done this without any problem on both the Silhouette and the Eclipse.

Edited by Hlitner

To be clearer, I wasn't asking about changing my Blu assignment to MDR. If I was going to do that, I would certainly speak the maitre d. Just want to know if I have the option to eat in the MDR a couple nights if I wanted to by simply showing up at Select dining and asking for a table. Someone in AQ on the last cruise said that you could but they ate at Blu every night so they never tried.

It is no problem and requires making no arrangements with anyone. We eat in the MDR more often than Blu and simply turn up at select and are seated in either select or assigned.

If too many Aqua Class passengers show up at Select and take available tables causing those who booked Select to wait to get into the MdR (remember that the Select diners can not go to Blue so it will never even out), eventually Select diners will complain and Celebrity will just stop allowing the migration. Better to make sure the MDR can accept the extra diners rather than just showing up

We just returned from Equinox and had a six-person family group in Blu. Some nights, my more traditionally-minded brother in law preferred a dish on the MDR menu to the Blu offerings. No problem, he just asked for that dish and it arrived! The rest of us loved the (IMO) more sophisticated Blu menu and the wonderful, intimate, service from the staff there. I can't imagine why anyone would want to eat in MDR after enjoying Blu, unless it's to join friends.

Anything they serve in MDR can be had in Blu. (FYI, one of us generally took a camera phone shot of the MDR menu so every one could consult it at the dinner table.)

We just returned from Equinox and had a six-person family group in Blu. Some nights, my more traditionally-minded brother in law preferred a dish on the MDR menu to the Blu offerings. No problem, he just asked for that dish and it arrived! The rest of us loved the (IMO) more sophisticated Blu menu and the wonderful, intimate, service from the staff there. I can't imagine why anyone would want to eat in MDR after enjoying Blu, unless it's to join friends.

Anything they serve in MDR can be had in Blu. (FYI, one of us generally took a camera phone shot of the MDR menu so every one could consult it at the dinner table.)

Great advice. Didn't know that. Thanks!

Frist time in Aqua class on our next Summit Bermuda Cruise. Having Select Dining on previous cruises usually made reservations months ahead for prime times. Having those reservations we never had to wait for seating. With Blu are reservations necessary or even available? Is there ever a wait. Thanks.

We never saw people waiting more than a minute or two for Blu. We were a group of 6, and we generally ate at the same time each night, so they had "our" table ready for us. If we were coming earlier, later, or not at all, we told them.

Not true on most other ships or cruises....I would not count on being able to order from the mdr menu in blu. We have been on four cruises in the past year where this was not true...millennium, eclipse and infinity.

It is no problem and requires making no arrangements with anyone. We eat in the MDR more often than Blu and simply turn up at select and are seated in either select or assigned.

Also not true on some cruises...and not the way celebrity wants this done. It may have worked for you but we tried on one cruise and select dining sent us to blu...they would not seat us unless blu set it up.

We were in AQ last month and weren't crazy about the food and the limited selection, so we ate in the MDR several nites, but one night was especially busy so we did have to wait 15 minutes for a table. That was no problem for us, but just be aware that if you want to eat in the MDR at a busy time, you will wait until the Select dinners have been seated first.

Not true on most other ships or cruises....I would not count on being able to order from the mdr menu in blu. We have been on four cruises in the past year where this was not true...millennium, eclipse and infinity.

You have asked for items on the MDR menu and been turned down on all those other cruises? Hard to imagine, based on our experience on this last cruise. The only time we had a problem was when my Mom's daily order of eggs benedict at breakfast was delayed the day of the Grand Buffet because the MDR wasn't open yet. But even then, it arrived about 5 minutes later.

Also not true on some cruises...and not the way celebrity wants this done. It may have worked for you but we tried on one cruise and select dining sent us to blu...they would not seat us unless blu set it up.

We were signed Blu and 1 night we went to Select Dining they seated the 4 of us right way. But I have seen on CC that you might need to talk to the Maitre D'. Also ordering in Blu from the MDR may work sometimes but not always. I'm thinking that on the M class ships they may use the same kitchen as MDR. The S class ship have their own Kitchen. Anyone done the kitchen tour on both ship to see where the kitchens are? Richard